Tracking of Weekly Weight and Calories Tips?

Options
So, I am trying to track my Monday moving averages, the differences in my weight from week to week, along with my weekly net calorie and/or total calorie intake so I can try to better pinpoint my maintenance calories and how my calorie intake impacts my weight.

Do any data-minded people have any advice or does anyone care to share their own data logs? I'm super interested!

This is what I have so far:
z8iye0urzx4r.png

I also track daily, but probably have too much data on here lol...:
jrokcsxzpe6u.png

Replies

• IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    That’s neat! Very detailed, thanks for sharing. I kept a spreadsheet for a while, it confirmed for me that my Calories Out per my FitBit were accurate for me and my weight loss was tracking along as expected (which confirmed my version of counting calories in was working). It’s fun to play with the numbers and feel confident that this whole calorie counting thing works exactly as expected. Good luck, you’ll have an easy time figuring out your maintenance calories.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    That’s neat! Very detailed, thanks for sharing. I kept a spreadsheet for a while, it confirmed for me that my Calories Out per my FitBit were accurate for me and my weight loss was tracking along as expected (which confirmed my version of counting calories in was working). It’s fun to play with the numbers and feel confident that this whole calorie counting thing works exactly as expected. Good luck, you’ll have an easy time figuring out your maintenance calories.
    Thank you! Yeah I think I just need to do some number crunching, per my data I should’ve gained over two pounds in the last two months, but I’ve maintained. Just need to figure out my actual maintenance cals! I don’t want to do this forever but just to get some hard data

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I track my weight daily (I used Happy Scale on my iPhone, I think a Libra is the popular one on android). It gives me a moving average which gives me a more accurate picture of my weight.

I track my calories in an excel sheet. I have a column that averages my daily calorie count each week.

I also track my calories out via my Garmin watch (which I know is not 100% accurate but it’s what I have). I also track that in an excel spreadsheet and get an average at the end of the week for my calories out.

And I also track my deficit each day and total that up for the week (also in an excel spreadsheet).
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I track my weight daily (I used Happy Scale on my iPhone, I think a Libra is the popular one on android). It gives me a moving average which gives me a more accurate picture of my weight.

I track my calories in an excel sheet. I have a column that averages my daily calorie count each week.

I also track my calories out via my Garmin watch (which I know is not 100% accurate but it’s what I have). I also track that in an excel spreadsheet and get an average at the end of the week for my calories out.

And I also track my deficit each day and total that up for the week (also in an excel spreadsheet).

I use happy scale too, I love it!

An average daily count would be nice. I just calculated what my maintenance was by looking at the calories I ate over four weeks where my moving average weight ended up the same, and it came out about 140 calories more than I thought/what MFP told me. SO, that means I can eat more! I think I've been eating a bit too little and then getting hungry and going overboard which is why I haven't been able to lose...

Good stuff!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you weigh more frequently and track in a trending app like Happy Scale or Libra. More frequent weights will give you a more accurate trend because it will capture your daily fluctuations. Congrats!