Does previous training help regain strength faster

Options
Seem like it. Id been amazed at my ex GF. In her youth to maybe age 15 to 45 she was always fit. Mostly in her lower body and core according to her. She did many different types of exercises for the hips, core legs etc. Never push ups or upper body except carrying large heavy bags of food etc. She came from another part of the world. She was always self motivated. From about age 45 to 55 she did not exercise at all due to factors happening in her life. About 3 years ago she slowly got back into it. She was embarrassed to go the the gym at first because she could not do what she could before. About 4 months ago she started doing weights more. Her lower body strength gains have been amazing and quick. ie She gone from do 15 reps from 40% of the stack on the gym leg press to 90% of the stack. I can only do the same reps with about 70% of the stack. Her plank time increases from 3 to over 20 minutes in 2 months. She got the body of a fit 30 year old woman. She says she still dont feel as strong as she was back then. When she was young she was picked in tug of war over most guys on her school team lol. She only 160 cm 125 pounds. She thinks her previous training from years ago helped her gain her lower body and core strength so fast. It must have something to do with it.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    muscle memory is a great help.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    actually, I think it does..... I gain muscle pretty fast.
  • BBJock
    BBJock Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For myself as well. I have done much more upper body with weights off and on over 40 years compared to legs and my upper body responds much quicker to strength gains compared to my legs. Me being the male you would think Id improve leg strength at a faster rate then her but the opposite was true. In that same time frame on the leg press she has doubled her leg press from 40% to 90% of the stack while myself it is 50% to 70%of the stack. We spent about the same time on the press. She has done more abductor related exercises though. She could not do a push up before and know can just do one. Still though her bench press has improved about 30%
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Muscle memory is a real thing. Getting back your old muscle is always faster than new gains.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    BBJock wrote: »
    Me being the male you would think Id improve leg strength at a faster rate then her but the opposite was true.

Compared to men, women tend to be more proportionally lower-body dominant. All things being equal, a man would likely grow upper body strength faster, while a woman would grow lower body strength faster. This is generally believed to be adaptive/evolutionary (i.e. women have to carry the babies).
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I believe it's true. I was an athlete growing up and if I get really serious about fitness my body responds quite quickly. Whether it's muscle memory or someone who has been fit most of their life just knows what to do to get fit quick. Also it might be that the feeling reminds us of being young and fit and that's an amazing feeling.
  • BBJock
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I believe it's true. I was an athlete growing up and if I get really serious about fitness my body responds quite quickly. Whether it's muscle memory or someone who has been fit most of their life just knows what to do to get fit quick. Also it might be that the feeling reminds us of being young and fit and that's an amazing feeling.

This is her. Fit most of her life. She out lasted the fitness trainer in her test interview back in the day lol. Guys were afraid to tug of war against her so she says. Totally out of it for about 10 years. Her body just responded so quickly. Well lower body and core really but that was her focus back then.
  • BBJock
    Options
    BBJock wrote: »
    Me being the male you would think Id improve leg strength at a faster rate then her but the opposite was true.

Compared to men, women tend to be more proportionally lower-body dominant. All things being equal, a man would likely grow upper body strength faster, while a woman would grow lower body strength faster. This is generally believed to be adaptive/evolutionary (i.e. women have to carry the babies).

Yes I noticed many women doing very well in lower body exercises and often as well as many men and then struggle with upper body. Evolutionary could have something to do with it. Many ladies focus on their lower bodies like men focus on upper.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My muscles cant seem to memorize.
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If only all gainzzzz were like the ones you get after extended time away from the gym or newbie gainz!

It definitely always comes back sooner if you had that in your locker previously but I think as we age, it takes just a little longer.

I’m 38 and can honestly say, I’m naturally stronger than ever (even feeling stronger on a calorie deficit - I know, what!?!?) but yes it’s true. But that could just be I’m eating more protein and fat/less carbs and training heavy to keep muscle and lose the fat.

Everybody has a strength ceiling (which steroids/PEDs help you surpass) but I’d like to know when I can expect my strength to naturally decline. As we age, natural test reduces etc .... will I suddenly wake and be weaker or can I maintain for the next 10 years or so. Might start a new thread when I feel weak.. 😱

Sorry 4 the waffle!