How to train calf muscles for hiking?

2»

Replies

• ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2019
    *** I'd also like to add one more thing:

Start doing some long distance running on a treadmill but now, I want you to land your footstrikes more on the front balls of your feet this will strain your calves very well and condition them for prolonged stress ...

On recovery: add into your routine golf ball massage at the base of your feet to alleviate the entirety of tension in shins and calves.

"Remember everything is connected"

Thank you
    Bye

P.s- on your next hiking adventure(so jealous) be cognizant of what muscles you are activating... every15 to 20 minutes, do what is called a mental check in... feel the muscles firing and ask all the muscles to help you up the mountain... start with your glutes, hams, quads, shins, calves, and even ankles and toes... it's kind of a zen way to feel your muscles connected to the Earth kinda thing.

This is known as mind to muscle connection used by even professional athletes.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited November 2019
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    What works for me is standing on the end of a step, lifting my bodyweight, slowly lowering and repeating. It seems to really help me build up my calves to endure long walks and hikes.

Also walking/running up and down stairs of a high school football stadium helps me as well.

Since doing the above regularly (along with stretching often) I no longer have issues with my calves.

I do this regularly and while long steep hills are difficult for me (stamina and knees), my calves do not hurt.

ETA: I assumed you meant you are also lowering your heels below the level of the step but wanted to check to see if we are on the same page.

The OP mentioned calf raises, but not dips.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I'd actually recommend some yoga.

Just doing specific stretches is good, but issues are often a result of a whole muscle chain rather than just one muscle.

Also, hiking is such great exercise--but it can be hard on not only legs but back as well.

Your basic 20 minute yoga workout will work out the whole body, stretching and strengthening muscles needed for hiking and prevent injuries too. It's also great to do when it's bad weather out, or have a "rest day".

Yoga studios are the best way to go, but I usually can't afford that. I always recommend Rodney Yee videos and there are a lot of great free workouts online, on YouTube, Amazon Prime, and more.

Former yoga teacher here. I also recommend yoga, yoga studios, and Rodney Yee videos.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    OP here- thanks folks! I have been working with a PT for my back and also asked him about this. I didn't realize there was a part of my calf I had been missing in workouts. He showed me a few different calf exercises and stretches to hit all the muscles. The one that has helped the most is calf dips/raises with bent knees. That hits the spots that were so sore I could barely walk.

Of course there's really no substitute for a long hike on uneven ground, but I'm also incorporating running and incline work into my training now. The hubby and I have staked out a few places within 1-2 hours that we could hike for practice when we get closer to the next one. We'll be doing Germany and Sicily in the late spring.

Again, thank you all for your help and support!