Clothing styles, choices

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Where do you shop for your clothes and what do you find yourself wearing most of the time?

I'm 66 and can remember back to when my mom was that age, the clothes she wore. I don't want to wear that style. :) I'm a jeans kinda gal and just do not feel my age but don't want to dress like I'm a teenager either. So I find myself wearing very plain unstylish clothes. :( Any suggestions? Oh and very limited budget these days too. :(

Replies

• hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    I think the poster above nailed it with those pics. I would also suggest browsing Pinterest for style ideas.

Also, if you’re on a tight budget, try the Nordstrom Rack app. I use it for most of my shopping and never pay full price for anything. You can find some amazing deals and the returns are super easy.

Good luck to you!
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Yup my vote is the second post.....now does she have any advice on how to spruce up yoga pants...band tee...and a hoodie cuz it's cold AF today....I haven't looked in Narnia (my closet) for years since in have no where to go 😖....but i.think I'm in a rut.....though I'm sure it won't matter cuz no one will see me cept for my son's school,.the gym and grocery store🙄 so ah....nevermind 🤷😂😂😘

I bet you crush the yoga pant, band tee and hoodie look! I typically pull this ensemble together with a messy bun and flip flops. 🤗
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    hud54014 wrote: »
    Yup my vote is the second post.....now does she have any advice on how to spruce up yoga pants...band tee...and a hoodie cuz it's cold AF today....I haven't looked in Narnia (my closet) for years since in have no where to go 😖....but i.think I'm in a rut.....though I'm sure it won't matter cuz no one will see me cept for my son's school,.the gym and grocery store🙄 so ah....nevermind 🤷😂😂😘

I bet you crush the yoga pant, band tee and hoodie look! I typically pull this ensemble together with a messy bun and flip flops. 🤗

Boom! I like your style lovely🤗😍😏🤘
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Blue jeans, and a t-shirt from BR, either luxury touch or short sleeve henley

And don't forget the axe....that was a nice assessory😉🤘😎
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Probably 90% of my wardrobe has come from Marshall’s, tjmaxx, Burlington etc got marked down designer stuff; without knowing more about your body type (ie I’m short waisted so longer skirts don’t work for me) can’t give you much in the way of actual styling suggestions
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Stick with your jeans, nice tee shirts. Invest in scarves, interesting jewelry, sunglasses, bags.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    I'm 5'9", long arms, long legs. I just wish I had my own personal fashion designer. :) For some reason, I can't go into a store and throw things together and look put together, KWIM?
    I went to J.C.Penney's today, just to check out their clothes and try things on, have some fun with that. And they had zilch. I live in a small town so to get much choice I have to travel 80 miles or shop online, which I can't seem to do successfully.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    a wardrobe made entirely of vinyl might be an option

vinyl-clothes.jpg?resize=980:*

.... might not too.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Do you any resale shops in your area? You can find some good quality clothes even at Goodwill, but better still is a higher-end consignment shop--Still cheaper than buying new and better for the environment. I'm getting close to 60 and have been upgrading my wardrobe to better quality but basic, neutral items. You can always add accessories. There are some helpful vlogs on Youtube about how to dress. Some are geared for those of us who are older, but my favorite is actually Kim xo.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I'm 5'9", long arms, long legs. I just wish I had my own personal fashion designer. :) For some reason, I can't go into a store and throw things together and look put together, KWIM?
    I went to J.C.Penney's today, just to check out their clothes and try things on, have some fun with that. And they had zilch. I live in a small town so to get much choice I have to travel 80 miles or shop online, which I can't seem to do successfully.

We're the same height and build, and close in age (I'm 56) so I feel your pain. The worst part is that junior sizes fit me better than women's sizes because I have no curves whatsoever so I'm stuck wading through the teen clothing for things that are fairly plain and classic.

I tend to do best in places like TJMaxx (or the Canadian equivalent Winners), Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack. I can buy tops online but won't usually risk pants unless I'm familiar with the way the brand fits. I've bought tall pants online at Alloy with good success.

My mother was a very dowdy dresser, I do NOT want to look like she did. But I work in a professional business environment so I don't want to look like a middle-aged teenager either.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the great suggestions above.

I think for women who are a little older (and that's even including myself at 43) it can be really easy to dress up basics with a jacket instead of a hooded sweatshirt, trouser jeans, collar shirts, and structured bags like in some of the photos posted here...classic jewelry. Not that there's anything wrong with tees and jeans, I wear them a lot. I like wearing a lot of dresses too, and all sorts of different boots...hiking, riding, etc. To me a moto jacket, flowy knee length dress & tall boots is an almost ageless look especially with some dark tights.

My mom and stepmom are 69 and 72, and they both dress very stylish and up to date for their ages. I think women now can do that endlessly, and it's not like forty plus years ago when anyone over 60 was in dowdy floral & polyester stuff. I love it! My friend's mom is a little younger, early sixties, and definitely rocks a bohemian style with a lot of southwest touches. It looks great on her.

I admire a lot of older ladies' style and I think the biggest thing is doing what you LOVE and what suits you. For example it's true that a lot of older ladies look great with short hair...but I think that if you feel more "you" with shoulder-length bobs or long flowing waves, you should do that no matter what your age.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Haha, kinda liking the plastic look. Reminds me of the Twiggy era, early 60's maybe?
    I think the main problem is there aren't many shopping options near where I live, so I can't just go try things on, experiment and have fun. I do shop a couple of thrift and consignment stores but don't have a lot of luck. I did pick up a cool L.L.Bean cardigan I love, for 5 bucks. :) But it's definitely hit or miss. BUT when someone mentioned high-end I remembered there's a consignment store 20 minutes away I have yet to check out so that might be on my agenda for this week. :)
    Seltzermint-I can picture the look you described with the jacket, dress and tall boots and that's what I'd love, to be able to wear something like that. :)
    And going to check out pinterest too, start making a list. :)
    Thanks all!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, ReenieHJ! I'm 53 and overweight, trying not to turn into my mother wearing polyester stretch pants, but I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard to be young, either.

Perhaps you could plan a day trip to "the big city" and arrange an appointment with a personal shopper at one of the department stores there. There is a second-hand shop where I live in Cincinnati - called Clothes Mentor - that offers free appointments with their personal shopper. I think having a little one on one with a professional to give you some tips and guidance might be very helpful. Good luck!
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Neutral colors help you blend in and make the odds of escaping much more successful.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    s131951 wrote: »
    Neutral colors help you blend in and make the odds of escaping much more successful.

black is urban camouflage and a baseball hat & sunglasses combo make anyone incognito

Were you at the seminar? I may have missed you.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Haha, I've tried blending in my whole life, now it's time to be at the head of the class for a change. :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

black is urban camouflage and a baseball hat & sunglasses combo make anyone incognito

Were you at the seminar? I may have missed you.

of course you missed her....

it was a seminar on camouflage

she pays attention.