1200 Calorie Buddies?

Options
2»

Replies

• ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Forgive me if I’m wrong, but my understanding of IF is that you still eat all of your calories but within a precise window of time.

I misspoke. Actually what I meant was I have a hard time eating more than 1200 in my window. I’m not trying to stay under a certain amount.

That said, as far as calorie consumption on IF, if you are not fasting every day, it is natural (and good) to fluctuate your calories. Many people eat either no calories or under 500 calories on fasting days. I think it actually makes perfect evolutionary sense, as this is more in line with how most animals have always eaten.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ploomka wrote: »
    Forgive me if I’m wrong, but my understanding of IF is that you still eat all of your calories but within a precise window of time.

I misspoke. Actually what I meant was I have a hard time eating more than 1200 in my window. I’m not trying to stay under a certain amount.

That said, as far as calorie consumption on IF, if you are not fasting every day, it is natural (and good) to fluctuate your calories. Many people eat either no calories or under 500 calories on fasting days. I think it actually makes perfect evolutionary sense, as this is more in line with how most animals have always eaten.

If you are talking about 5:2 - to clarify. There are 2 - 600 calorie days and 5 MAINTENANCE days. This averages out to a moderate weekly deficit for most.

If someone is eating zero calories days, then this wouldn't likely be a moderate weekly deficit. One of the issues with aggressive dieting is a higher % of lean muscle loss. Healthy weight loss lowers your body fat %. Intermittent fasting doesn't protect you from lean muscle loss.

Re: your previous post.....Google IF for all the "benefits." Don't believe everything you read. The vast majority of the so-called benefits aren't proven. They are merely anecdotal results. The problem with "my results were this" is the benefits likely had many reasons. Example - weight loss can result in better blood pressure, no matter the method. Adding regular exercise can lower blood sugar, even without weight loss. Someone selling a diet book has an agenda. They are going to chalk up 100% of the "benefits" to the diet they are selling.
  • ploomka
    Options
    We sure aren’t! ;) That said, 3 meals a day didn’t become standard until the industrial revolution, and grazing and +3 meals per day is a 20th century invention.

IF and calorie intake fluctuations have been shown in many studies to increase BMR. There’s even some interesting studies regarding longer fasts, but I’m not really game for that, at least not at this point in my life. I’ve had great success with IF personally, but it’s not for everyone. It’s important for each individual to listen to their own body, hunger cues, and progress, and adjust accordingly.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    ploomka wrote: »
    We sure aren’t! ;) That said, 3 meals a day didn’t become standard until the industrial revolution, and grazing and +3 meals per day is a 20th century invention.

IF and calorie intake fluctuations have been shown in many studies to increase BMR. There’s even some interesting studies regarding longer fasts, but I’m not really game for that, at least not at this point in my life. I’ve had great success with IF personally, but it’s not for everyone. It’s important for each individual to listen to their own body, hunger cues, and progress, and adjust accordingly.

Speaking as a sociology professor with a degree in biology, please stop using pseudoscience to justify your personal food preferences. You can follow whatever eating plan you want. However, what is considered a “typical” and “healthy” eating pattern has varied considerably across history and cultures. Some groups have traditionally eaten one meal a day, others have traditionally eaten differently. It is also worth keeping in mind that the human lifespan used to be much shorter, and that we now live longer due largely to better nutrition and better sanitation.

I was just going to comment the bold statement.

For the 1200 calorie crew healthy eating and fitness should be a lifestyle you adopt. Is a 1200 calorie diet sustainable? Is intermittent fasting? Weight loss takes awhile. Can take a lifetime really...don't go for the quick fix do what will be viable long term.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think you have to decide what your personal strengths are and use those. If you are insecure and have low self esteem, that can be a strength. Go to WW or any program where you have to get up and step on the scale in front of a crowd.

If you do well with denial and restriction then fasting and Keto are your friends.

If you are a person who enjoys you own choices and likes to treat yourself then CC is the way since you can substitute lobster for pork chops and get to your 1200 calorie target that way.
  • ploomka
    Options
    For those interested, here are 4 published medical studies on intermittent fasting, including some data suggesting that intermittent fasting increased fat loss, and all data indicating that IF results in either less muscle loss or equal muscle loss to other calorie restriction methods. Would love to read other published data on the subject, if you have something to support or refute this research.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27708846
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19793855
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27737674
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i try to eat between 1200-1500 calories, feel free to add me.
  • steffijo01
    steffijo01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am trying for 1200-1300 calories a day for the next 3 months before my wedding. I don't exercise much now but I might try to add it in and then eat a bit more. Feel free to add me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    Looking at your picture, you don’t look like you have much to lose. How did you decide on 1200 calories? That’s the bare minimum allowed for women.

What did mfp assign you, what rate of loss did you choose and how much do you have to lose?

You’re kind! My BMI is 32, so I have about 50 lbs to lose to get to the “healthy” range. I’ve already consulted with my doctor and dietician who advised me that with my lifestyle, 1200 cals per day was healthy and reasonable.

Doctors frequently suggest 1200 calories as generic advice for women who are trying to lose weight, almost irrespective of size or activity level. Have you checked out what MFP's calorie estimate for you for 2 pounds a week loss (or less) would be, or compared the estimate from a TDEE calculator? (The TDEE calculator estimate would be higher than MFP if you do intentional exercise, as TDEE calculators include exercise in the base calorie estimate, while MFP expects you to log exercise when you do it and gives you extra calories to eat at that time.)

I'm not suggesting 1200 is necessarily wrong, but sometimes the overly-generic diet advice from doctors can make the process more difficult than it needs to be. I just want to see you be happy, successful, and beautiful and vibrant for your wedding . . . losing too fast (if that might happen) isn't the best route to that outcome.

Congratulations on your engagement; wishing you nuch success in your weight loss!
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If I eat over 1200 I maintain but I will not lose. Its because I'm short and so close to my goal weight now. Add me :)
  • sdavis484
    sdavis484 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

This is such a bogus article from some unaccredited blogger. 🙄