Substitute for eggs on a plant base diet

Any suggestions would be appreciated because I’m really starting to miss eggs.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    In baking, I think flax, linseed or chia seeds are the standard replacement to provide the binding properties of egg.

And Aquafaba (bean water) is a perfectly fine replacement for egg whites for meringue, soufflé etc.

Chickpea flour can be used for some things, such as omelettes and frittata.

There’s no replacement though (as far as I know!) for a dippy boiled egg or a poached egg! 😢
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    That depends on why you aren't eating eggs. If eggs do not fit your own morals or if your doctor has specifically told you to avoid eggs in order to treat a medical condition, that's one thing. However, if those things aren't the case and you want to eat eggs, then why not eat eggs? "Plant based" is a very broad and vague term that does not necessarily exclude eggs. For example, I have been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 14 years, which means I eat eggs and dairy but no other animal products. It is worth being clear with yourself about exactly why you want to eat this way, what it means to you, and what you're hoping to accomplish.

In addition to what @BarbaraHelen2013 said, there are various vegan "eggs." They do different things.
    • Ener-G Egg Replacer is a binder for baked goods, but I much prefer using a flax egg or aquafaba. Keep in mind that eggs provide both binding and leavening, so the proper egg replacement depends on what you needed the egg for in that recipe.
    • If you're looking for something like a scrambled egg, there are a couple options. One is the Follow Your Heart VeganEgg, another is Vegg. However, I would rather have scrambled tofu personally. Scrambled tofu doesn't really resemble eggs, but it's good in its own right.
    • For some things, silken tofu works well to replace eggs. I make a French silk pie using only silken tofu and melted chocolate instead of the eggs that you would traditionally put in it.
    • If you are breading something, you can use one of the egg replacers, soy milk, or just water to make the breading stick, depending on how heavy the breading is.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Try looking up a recipe for tofu scramble. You’ll need some kala namak (also called black salt) for a good eggy flavour, you can get it in Indian supermarkets, amazon or some health food stores.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    ^^See above for tofu "eggs" as a dish on their own. If you're looking for a substitute for baking, look into acquafaba (water from canned or cooked dried beans), flax eggs (flax meal & water), and soaked chia seeds.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    https://minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/
    This recipe is really good. I just use whatever veggies I have on hand (usually onion and bell pepper). You can add black salt but there are really enough spices in this recipe you don't have to and it still tastes good.
    There are also several recipes for vegan omelettes and frittatas online. I haven't personally tried any of them (lazy about breakfast) but I'm sure you could find a good one with some trial and error.
    The sites I use/trust the most for vegan recipes in general are:
    https://minimalistbaker.com/
    https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/
    https://www.veganricha.com/
    https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/
    https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Backyard chickens :)
  • Interpol888
    Interpol888 Posts: 21 Member
    Any suggestions would be appreciated because I’m really starting to miss eggs.

There is no replacement... Get real... If you want eggs? Move away from your requirements. This is not a science project
  • ToniaOllerton
    ToniaOllerton Posts: 1 Member
    I've been planted based (vegan) for over 10 years. Tough it out by eating tofu with kala namak, eventually you'll stop craving them. Think of how they come out of the chicken's cloaca which is also where the poop exits. Think of how they are little cholesterol bombs that do serious damage to your arteries. You can do without it!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    @mommabear4315 - 1 tablespoon flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water. Works for recipes that call for eggs. You can use it in a muffin pan for breakfast muffins ...

• mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Thank you for your insight. I really am trying to keep to a regiment. I know myself if I give myself a little lead way I will give myself more and more rope. I’ll try different things and if the cravings continue I’ll eat some eggs no biggie. I was just trying to continue on a total plant based meal for 30 days and evaluate how I feel. Not to mention I’m curious to see the blood work when I go visit my doctor again. Again, thank you all.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    For what it's worth: many vegan protein powders today have the same amino acid profile as eggs. They simply blend different types of plant-based protein to get it. For example, I have one from Lifetime's Life's Basics lube that is made from rice protein, pea protein, chia seed, hemp seed, and vanilla (no sweetener, although the chia makes it taste a little sweet). It has the unimaginative name Plant Protein/Unsweetened Vanilla. Other brands seem to use the same approach, adding nuts/seeds to grain/legume. A DIY approach would use the same concept.

If you are searching for something that functions like egg in baking or tastes like egg in dishes, the other ideas given in response are all good.

Commercial mixes are even sold to use with tofu to make scrambled tofu. Tofu is not egg but is a versatile food on its own right. I use it for eggless egg salad ( refrigerate for an hour or so to let it absorb all the other flavors) and blend it with other ingredients for salad dressing or dips or pudding. I also really like it marinated and grilled/baked. It can be used in recipes instead of ricotta or cottage cheese. A friend liked a slab of it on his peanut butter sandwich, but have never managed to bring myself to try that...