susanp57
susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
Anyone have a good fruit salad recipe?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Not sure I’ve ever used a recipe for fruit salad, to be honest!

Cut up a mixture of fruit, different colours and textures preferably. Some people don’t like banana in a fruit salad but I quite like when it goes a bit soft in the juices of the other fruit! Try a mix of apple, pear, nectarine, raspberries, plum, kiwi, melon etc.

Sometimes I like to use pomegranate juice as the liquid element. Or use whatever fruit juice you like (personally I avoid orange juice as it’s a bit of a bully flavour wise, for my taste!).

If you’re looking to keep calories low try a ‘juice’ made from no sugar mixed fruit cordial and water to taste, with a dash of lemon or other citrus through the fruit to prevent browning.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Cut up a mixture of fruit, different colours and textures preferably. Some people don’t like banana in a fruit salad but I quite like when it goes a bit soft in the juices of the other fruit! Try a mix of apple, pear, nectarine, raspberries, plum, kiwi, melon etc.

Sometimes I like to use pomegranate juice as the liquid element. Or use whatever fruit juice you like (personally I avoid orange juice as it’s a bit of a bully flavour wise, for my taste!).

If you’re looking to keep calories low try a ‘juice’ made from no sugar mixed fruit cordial and water to taste, with a dash of lemon or other citrus through the fruit to prevent browning.

I don't use a recipe either. But I've never found it necessary to add a liquid element. The cut fruit generally gives up plenty of liquid, and I don't especially want extra liquid in my fruit salad. Other than, as you say, a bit of citrus juice to prevent browning if that's an issue (berries and melons don't need it, and stone fruit don't if you're going to be serving it within a few hours). I will sometimes make a yogurt or other dairy (whipped cream, creme fraiche, etc.)-based topping to serve alongside.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    My family calls two different things “fruit salad.” The first one is what other people might call ambrosia salad: maraschino cherries, canned mandarin orange slices, mini marshmallows, sour cream.

The other one is freshly sliced fruit in a dressing of lemon juice and honey.

I’m not claiming either one is low calorie :)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

I don't use a recipe either. But I've never found it necessary to add a liquid element. The cut fruit generally gives up plenty of liquid, and I don't especially want extra liquid in my fruit salad. Other than, as you say, a bit of citrus juice to prevent browning if that's an issue (berries and melons don't need it, and stone fruit don't if you're going to be serving it within a few hours). I will sometimes make a yogurt or other dairy (whipped cream, creme fraiche, etc.)-based topping to serve alongside.

Possibly a difference between a US fruit salad and a U.K. fruit salad I guess! There’s always a juice/syrup when you see fruit salad here. 🤷‍♀️ My guess is that originally it would have been made without all the imported fruits - so mainly either berries in summer or harder orchard fruits in autumn which would definitely require a syrup to help soften the hard apples and pears etc.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you want to get fancy, dress your fruit in lemon and honey (as mentioned above), then hit it with fresh ground black pepper. Pink pepper would probably be amazing, too.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have several, I love mixing fruits into my salads, However these are not purely fruit salads. Hope you like them. Let me know:). I love a bit of sweet, salty taste in my salads so I always try to incorporate both fruits and veggies.
    1. Dragon Fruit, Pear Salad
    2. Orange Salad
    3. Cabbage, Red Orange Salad
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered Lebni kefir cheese. It is similar to Greek Yogurt, cream cheese, and sour cream but I like it better than all of them. Use it to dress any kind of cut-up fruit.
    tbkisrn47lpa.jpg
    y1pcwcp8wa6e.jpg