Healthy Weightloss

Options
I have read a large number of various threads in different categories around weightloss methods, being impatient with progress, wanting to lose X number of lbs in a ridiculous time frame and wanting to know how much weight people have lost in X periods of time.
I'm that person too. The impatient one who needs to see almost immediate progress. I was the one who tried every and any diet to see which will produce the fastest results, until now. My health has started failing because of the constant strain I put on my obese body. My digestive health has been suffering among other parts of my health. A lot is a direct result of trying to get the best results as quickly as possible and giving up because it was too restrictive and gaining the weight back just to jump on the next new miracle.
I realize I may be an exception or I have just done enough damage to my body following this ridiculous regime for over 20 years. I see a doctor tomorrow to start getting my weightloss on track in a healthy way that also heals the damage. No more gimmicks, no more drastic measures, it's time for healthy and sustainable weightloss. I urge the same of anyone who has followed or is following the destructive patterns I outlined above. Do it before you start suffering the negative effects of fad diets.

Replies

• saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you and good luck on your own journey
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right thing. Small sustainable steps consistantly over time will give you much better long term results and hopefully help with your health issues.

You are not alone in spending years or decades leaping from one stupid faddy diet to another I did the same thing. Then I found MFP and voila my whole perception about how to lose weight changed. Don't get me wrong I still struggle, in fact this is my second time around losing the same 30 lbs. The difference is I don't panic if I don't lose as fast as I would like. I just keep plodding on safe in the knowledge that it can be done. Also that I don't have to starve, take pills, cut out any foods completely and can just eat what I enjoy.

Losing weight is quite a simple concept but we all have times in our lives when we falter so it is not always easy. But it is worth it. The Osteoarthritis that was killing my knees and hips has gone into remission since I lost the weight.

Good luck to you and be patient, trust the process, eat the foods you like, be consistant and it will happen. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US get your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian. Doctors can keep an eye on your health but they are not typically great at managing weight loss or nutrition. They are not trained for it. Get checked out by the doctor but get an RD (or trained equivalent) to help with the rest.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you are in the US get your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian. Doctors can keep an eye on your health but they are not typically great at managing weight loss or nutrition. They are not trained for it. Get checked out by the doctor but get an RD (or trained equivalent) to help with the rest.

Seconded. I would strongly encourage an RD consultation for anyone who has health problems related to their diet.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Seconded. I would strongly encourage an RD consultation for anyone who has health problems related to their diet.

It is not a bad idea for anyone if your insurance covers it. Mine didn't but I only consulted one for two very specific scenarios. I did let them go over my food diary and my strategy though. It doesn't hurt to have a professional provide you with a trained opinion on your process.
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to rain on the RD parade, but I have not had good luck with them. I had one who was fixated on me going gluten-free, even though I did not fit that profile. I even went to an endocrinologist and got a full workup. The doc said the RD was just plain wrong. Then I had an MD dietitian who put me on a diet that was so spartan, there was no way I could follow it.

A recent article in the NY Times written by two doctors specializing in nutrition came to the conclusion that nearly all the research on dieting fails basic quality controls for research methodology. So none of it is conclusive and a lot of it is outright biased and wrong. I also saw a recent documentary on cable about dieting that basically said the same thing. A PhD dietitian ended the documentary by saying, "Here's all we really know for sure: Eat whole foods and avoid processed foods as much as possible. Avoid added sugar as much as possible. Burn more calories than you take in. That is really all there is to it. Everything else is conjecture.

I would also follow the Chinese saying, "Make haste slowly." Don't be in a rush to lose weight. Be in a rush to find a program that works for you and be following it. Every day you log all your food and exercise on MFP is good, because you are following the process, even if you are over target. Every day you do that and come in under your target is a day you are losing weight, even if it doesn't show on the scale yet.