Deciding on a gym option

Options
I'm hitting the big 4-0 next year and want to be at my fittest having just got over severe depression that meant I couldn't work for almost 8 years. Now I have a job I can stretch to a gym membership as I'd like to exercise indoors in the evening, especially coming into winter. I just can't get out of bed in the morning for a run before work. I've got 3 gym options I could go for- I'm discounting our local council gym/pool as its a bit too small at times for getting on equipment.

1. a chain gym- fairly big with free 4-6 week reappraisals and a pool, free parking- £53 a month. Lots of classes
2. gym run by bodybuilding couple- no pool or classes- only £35 a month- free town parking weeknights

My goal is to lose at least 1 stone, ideally 2 and I'm just back on the mfp wagon. Aesthetically, I want to be slim and trim. Think triathlete rather than Icelandic female crossfitter...but I can't swim...

Any feedback on the differences between the 2?

Replies

• Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Should read 2 options- no. 3 was the crossfit box but I'd rather do a traditional gym as I know I like it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    This is just what I would do given the background you have given us.

I’d sign up for the chain gym for 6 month, if that were an option, then reasses after that.

The chain gym offers classes, and that, for me would ensure I got into the habit of going to the gym, and gradually built my fitness level with some guidance, but without the cost of a PT.

You also have the option of hitting the weight room and pool. (Thinking of your tri body and learning to swim)

After 6 month you will have a better fitness level, and a better idea of what direction you want to go in.

You are not looking for a body building body so, depending on the gym, some are more focused than others, it may not be for you, and it offers less variety for you to initially experiment with.

Cheers, h.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Do you want the options of a pool and classes? Personally I would not. Decide what you want to do. If can't decide as mentioned above try the large gym for a few months. If you're just using the weights switch to the smaller gym.

My best experience was at a small club owned by an individual with a bronze medal in weightlifting from the Olympics. Depending on the owners small gyms can be fantastic
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I would go with the bigger gym. Only you know if having a pool and classes would be beneficial to you (they certainly would be to me). But not always having free parking sounds like a bit of a drag for the smaller gym. Considering the price difference is not that exorborant, you could end up making up some or most of it just in parking if you are going times other than weeknights.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    tbh I don't think you have given us enough info to base a decision on. The gym run by the body building couple....does it have space to do what you want? Is it clean? friendly? close to home/work? enough cardio equip, showers ? etc.
    I love all types of gyms, big, small, modern or ancient. Anyplace that lets me push myself hard and is close to somewhere where I find myself often, I'm happy
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    I'm hitting the big 4-0 next year and want to be at my fittest having just got over severe depression that meant I couldn't work for almost 8 years. Now I have a job I can stretch to a gym membership as I'd like to exercise indoors in the evening, especially coming into winter. I just can't get out of bed in the morning for a run before work. I've got 3 gym options I could go for- I'm discounting our local council gym/pool as its a bit too small at times for getting on equipment.

1. a chain gym- fairly big with free 4-6 week reappraisals and a pool, free parking- £53 a month. Lots of classes
    2. gym run by bodybuilding couple- no pool or classes- only £35 a month- free town parking weeknights

My goal is to lose at least 1 stone, ideally 2 and I'm just back on the mfp wagon. Aesthetically, I want to be slim and trim. Think triathlete rather than Icelandic female crossfitter...but I can't swim...

Any feedback on the differences between the 2?

Bold...wow. 😱
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    As with all exercise, it’s the one you will do that is the best one.
    Do you want to go straight from work? Are they on the way? Is there a comfortable place there to change clothes?
    Are you uncomfortable in crowds? Or in places where you may be the only one at times?
    Is the difference in price a large amount to you?
    I would recommend the big gym to someone I didn’t know, just because of the variety of choices. Seems like it would give you better odds of finding something you like. But if I knew you, would I recommend the same thing?
    What do you think?
    ETA I go to a large gym at night. The parking lot is compact, well lit. I was concerned about it at first, but found it feels totally comfortable. Visit both gyms about the time you might be leaving if you’re concerned, to see if the walk to your car looks okay.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Travelling time and convenience set my selection of gyms.
    Then it's down to equipment/facilities that I want.
    Then it's down to value for money.

Classes of zero interest to me - they might be to you.
    Pool is of zero interest to me - they might be to you.
    Reappraisals of zero interest to me (I set my own training programs and track my own progress) - they might be to you.
    High end exercise bikes are a necessity to me - they might be irrelevant to you.
    Good selection of weights and other strength equipment is a necessity to me - sounds like both your options should tick that box.

Do agree with visiting the gyms at the time you intend using them, while working away from home I signed up for a gym after a lunchtime visit but found out too late the lunchtime and evening demographucs were completely different.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The crowd has to be a factor. I did okay with this gym for 6,7 months. But now it's getting heavy on folks who dress up in Nike, Reebok, and inderarmor so they can stand in the weight area and bash politics endlessly.

Hey, they paid their membershop just like I did, and I dont own the place, so I guess they can do that. Seems like they might prefer a coffee house?

I bought bt headphones so I cant hear the mundane droning, but it's getting WORSE, so I'm shopping around ...

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like to swim, both for cardio and for active recovery, so would always choose that one.

I would see if there is a trial period, things like the atmosphere, how nice the showers are, if there are hair dryers- these all sound trivial but they make a difference to me personally in terms of how happy and comfortable I am.
    I've tried economising on it before, but if I don't like it I just don't go, so it's a total waste.

If course YMMV, it depends on your priorities.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would probably lean towards the chain gym as they most likely have a wider range of equipment and activities. If your intention was to go into bodybuilding then the other gym would be the obvious choice but for all 'round fitness you want both strength and cardio.

Depending on your own preferences you may also enjoy participating in classes (some people like group activities, some are lone wolves). You may not swim now but it's excellent cross training (I could barely swim a lap a few years ago but have since gone on to Olympic distance triathlons, a local 3K swim race and a 4K fun swim with my triathlon club) never say never.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would have said crossfit box, but you eliminated that one. I lost several sizes in less than a year with only going 2-4 times a week.
  • MadDuck62
    MadDuck62 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The best gym is the gym that's convenient and makes you feel comfortable. That's the gym you'll use even on those days where you're not super motivated. In my experience, people make a decision based on a lot of stuff that doesn't end up making a difference . . . for example a gym that has a lot of options the person never even uses. For me, the distance to the gym is the thing that makes the biggest difference on whether I go regularly; maybe in your case it's parking. Either way, I would start with the gym that's the most convenient.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    MadDuck62 wrote: »
    The best gym is the gym that's convenient and makes you feel comfortable. That's the gym you'll use even on those days where you're not super motivated. In my experience, people make a decision based on a lot of stuff that doesn't end up making a difference . . . for example a gym that has a lot of options the person never even uses. For me, the distance to the gym is the thing that makes the biggest difference on whether I go regularly; maybe in your case it's parking. Either way, I would start with the gym that's the most convenient.

I agree with this.

Can you get like a week pass to go and try out both gym for a week each and make your decision then? Ask at the counter, they usually do this kind of thing. Like a trial.

If you think classes will help - then the big gym. But do they have classes at the bodybuilding gym?

Also, in terms of you looking like an Icelandic Crossfitter - not likely, so don't worry about that. As in - it takes a long time, lots of hard work, and lots of food to look like that. And if you want to lose weight - then I wouldn't worry about it. Lifting does not make you bulky unless you work extremely hard at it. That pic there on the left in my profile thingy - that is 5 years worth of work as well as good lighting and flexing. In real life, i'm actually small looking.

• mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would choose based on distance, parking and a range of equipment. I like chains because they have other branches I can go into when I'm not near my home branch

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    MadDuck62 wrote: »
    I would start with the gym that's the most convenient.

I started a SD page, support and ideas. Join in!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/144146-2023-team-san-diego-fitness
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    if my goal was fit and trim, i'd probably get an exercise bike or treadmill, a set of decent resistance bands or adjustable weights and start there. but then i'm not a person who ever used classes in my years at the gym. YMMV.