Do I need to be on a stricter diet?

krayykrayy
krayykrayy Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2019 in Getting Started
Hi I’ve been working out for a few weeks now, but I want to know do I need a strict diet in order to lose the weight? I mean I do eat what I want I just count all my calories. I was upset because I weighed myself every Monday at first I was losing weight i began at 199.4 and went to 193.6 but then I weighed myself today and went to 195.6 I’m so confused I’ve been doing the same thing counting calories gym etc but instead of losing more I gained. Can someone help? Thank you!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Weight loss isn’t linear, which is especially true for women due to hormonal fluctuations throughout your menstrual cycle. You should really evaluate your progress throughout at least one full cycle before panicking.

Having said that, simply counting your calories won’t help you lose weight if you’re still eating at a level which matches or exceeds the calories you’re burning.

Set up your MFP with your individual stats (height, current weight, gender, age, activity level and select a sensible rate of loss depending on how much you need to lose (the more you have to lose the quicker you can lose at the beginning) and see what daily calories that generates. Eat that amount plus some of your exercise calories and you may find that sets you on your way.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    may just be water retention due to menstrual cycle, salt intake or gym session
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Did you make use of the MFP calculator? Trust the calculation, stick to it - calories in, calories out. Diets are of no use - find a healthy meal plan which suits your specific life style best, which you can live with long term; try to do some exercise. Relax, be patient - take it day by day, meal by meal. Cheer up!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Here, this will help:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Lots (most) people lose quite a lot in that first week and then slow down or put on a couple pounds. It's mostly shifting water weight. Stay the course. Good job on getting started! :)