Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do I have no sugar addicts in my office

magnusthenerd
magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
So a fair amount of spare Halloween candy has been brought into my office and I've noticed a trend about what doesn't get eaten: Skittles and Starbursts are both seeing a much longer life span than say kit-kats, Snickers, or Hersheys.
It seems that if sugar addiction was more explanatory than just palatability, the Skittles and Starbursts, which are or almost are pure sugar with negligible fats and salt should be equal or most consumed, shouldn't they?
Anyone have an explanation for this office oddity in light of the the absolute, guaranteed, one hundred percent scientific fact that sugar is the same as cocaine in the brain light pictures?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I would say that your fellow office workers are not addicts. ;)
  • Vjmikesell
    Vjmikesell Posts: 36 Member
    Do you work with a bunch of females? Over time, the monthly cycles of women who spend a lot of time together start to sync up. If that’s the case, it would definitely explain why chocolate was the first to go🤔
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Vjmikesell wrote: »
    Do you work with a bunch of females? Over time, the monthly cycles of women who spend a lot of time together start to sync up. If that’s the case, it would definitely explain why chocolate was the first to go🤔

I have done some googling on this before and everything I read said this isn't really true lol. And I have a sister.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I may be the odd one but I think I would eat the starbursts over the chocolate. I don't care for kit kats and snickers etc. I'm a dark chocolate kind of person.
  • magnusthenerd
    See, I get the joke, but that's actually part of how the Welsley effect seems genuine. If two people's cycles each have a 5 day menstrual window, then just having one day of overlap can look like the cycles are in sync.

It is kind of like the shared birthday problem. Take a class of 20 to 30 people and you probably have people that share a birthday, even though you'd normally want to think it is really rare for 1 out of 365 days to match. Except that's not how the statics work. The chance of someone not matching someone else keeps getting worse with more people, so 1 person 0 chance, 2 people 1-364/365, 3 people 1-364/365*364/365, 4 people 1-363/365*364/365*364/365, and so on.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    This thread has taken the most unexpected turn possible. Period.

Yeah, it's a little padded....
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

That's just the flow of conversation.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I'm just "red" with envy that you came up with this topic...
  • magnusthenerd
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I'm just "red" with envy that you came up with this topic...

Really? I'm a bit anemic on this topic.