How filling is protein?

Options
I occasionally use protein bars for meal replacement, and it seems to me that it's the combination of protein and fat that makes them filling. If I do a protein shake instead of a protein bar, that does not keep me from getting hungry, though it works better if I make it with milk instead of water. Even with protein bars, I usually combine it with dried fruit and a small glass of milk to get a full effect of keeping me from getting hungry.

Do y'all have the same experience or is this unusual?

Replies

• HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The bars are very filling to me. as they have a lot of fiber. So watch your other fiber sources as it could be to much. Also prtien sakes are filling as it makes a full blender when I do it. Need more substance try making protmeal. A bowl of oatmeal, scoop of powder plus fruit. That carrys me a awhile. Alos eat ever 2-3 hours. Bfast, snack at 10, lunch, snack 2-3 then dinner. Thats my schedule
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would guess because it takes a little longer to eat a protein bar than to just drink a protein shake which goes right through you especially since eating something solid takes alot of chewing where as the shake, you're not chewing anything
  • alexastoutxo
    alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    That's why I dont like drinking my calories, id rather eat them which is more satisfying to me :smile:
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    To the point you will be unable to actually ingest, literally
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think that your experience is fairly common. For me I get full with protein alone, but everyone has to find what satiates them. It usually takes me about an hour to drink my protein shake though!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Protien by itself doesn't fill me up. Or rather, doesn't make me feel content. Lets say i just got done eating dinner and getting ready for bed but still feel a little hungry. I could eat another 300 calories of protien and still feel hungry, where if i had eaten 300 calories of carbs like a multigrain cereal i would feel full.

I once ate 7 ny strips at a ponderosa back in the day when they had all you can eat steak. These were 7oz ny strips. I wasn't even completely full. Another time i had 2 ny strips and a baked potato and was stuffed. Another example of protien not as filling.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    People vary. Generally you will find either one or a combo of the following to be filling and provide satiety: protein, fat, carbs, volume, fiber. Once you know what works for you, you can plan around it.

For me, protein is the best, protein + a little fat works too and lasts just a bit longer.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am a protein and fiber person. Fat doesn't do much for my hunger.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm with the OP on this. You gotta have the fat to feel full! The problem with the protein shake is that it is usually sweetened, which makes it a quick fix only for me.

Some snacks I like are: An apple or dried fruit and nuts or cheese, Greek yogurt with nuts and berries (no sugar).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I think it's individual. My satiation is a little situational, but mostly about protein and volume. If I don't pay attention, I tend to undereat fats, but still be sated.

OP, sounds like you're figuring out what works for you. That's perfect.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think it's individual. My satiation is a little situational, but mostly about protein and volume. If I don't pay attention, I tend to undereat fats, but still be sated.

OP, sounds like you're figuring out what works for you. That's perfect.

My routine is solid enough that I sail past my protein goal each day without effort. My fat macro is the one I have to keep an eye on because I have little need of it outside of maintaining my health.
  • araj1977
    araj1977 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kotuliak wrote: »
    I occasionally use protein bars for meal replacement, and it seems to me that it's the combination of protein and fat that makes them filling. If I do a protein shake instead of a protein bar, that does not keep me from getting hungry, though it works better if I make it with milk instead of water. Even with protein bars, I usually combine it with dried fruit and a small glass of milk to get a full effect of keeping me from getting hungry.

Hi,

I feel it's all mind game. You feel full with same amount of intake from a bar as compared with shake. When you eat anything your mind know you had your meal instead of drinking something.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Kotuliak wrote: »

How many calories are in your protein shake? I don't find just PP filling - I add fat and fiber.

n9dzjvsomouf.png