Thoughts on weight to use for 20 rep squats

Hi

Interested in opinions for a decent weight for a 20 rep squat set on a body weight multiplier

So for 20 reps would you load bar with say 1x bodyweight ? 1.25x 1.5x 2x ?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I feel like "depends on your training volume" figures into the answer, but I am a dilettante and just here for the math equation that goes with this story problem.
  • pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    I was thinking 3 warm ups, 1-2 feeler sets and then in for 20
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I usually do a reverse pyramid for all my weights...so I start heavy, then move to lighter...5 sets of 8-12 reps, trying to reach failure each set, so the last 1-3 reps are really a struggle in any given set...currently I weigh 160ish and usually squat starting with 60 lbs and reducing if needed between sets (or sometimes even between reps), so 0.4x body weight added for me (1.4x if you are going with my weight plus the added weight).

If you can squat 2x body weight now, then start there...and if you don't make it through all 20, then stop when you need to and lighten the load until you get all the way to your goal of 20 reps.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Don’t usually do 20 rep squats tbh
    But when I have its been

At the start of a session approx x1.4 bw 315lb

As a finisher x1 bw 220
  • I would never do a 20 rep set of squats. But my goal is hypertrophy not endurance. From my (limited) understanding of the research, it’s not necessary to do so many reps to achieve hypertrophy. And too much volume for those with strength goals. There are others better qualified on this forum than me though.

Plus I just follow the programme I’m following and that is 4 sets of 3 to 5 reps each currently.

What’s your goal?
  • pdmatthews
    My goal normally is strength - this is simply a challenge I may throw in from time to time. I got 18 with my bodyweight on bar and I guess what I’m really trying to gauge is whether that’s a decent showing or not. 1.4x seems a way off for me for instance
  • pdmatthews wrote: »
    My goal normally is strength - this is simply a challenge I may throw in from time to time. I got 18 with my bodyweight on bar and I guess what I’m really trying to gauge is whether that’s a decent showing or not. 1.4x seems a way off for me for instance

Ah ok, I understand. The thought of squatting 20 times with 135 pounds on my back (current body weight) makes my eyes water. I’m nesh though (a coward)
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I do 20 rep goblet squats with a kettlebell. Right now it's 40lbs. I'm just getting my strength back up after having a baby so I'm not a good example.

However it's not about the weight for me, it's about perfecting my form, feeling the muscles working with a solid mind-muscle connection and it ends up being a bit of endurance too.
  • pdmatthews
    shaf238 wrote: »

That seems pretty good 60% for 20 i am just about there on then. Although my 1RM is a bit poverty !!

Thanks everyone. I’d welcome any more thoughts

• mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    Not exactly my jam right now but I did a program years ago based off of Super Squats. It had the very dubious moniker of "Milk and Squats" which sounds absolutely horrific.

Seemed at the time (and still to this day) to be solidly based on bro-science with its promise of MASS!, but like you I was doing it solely as a challenge and to shake up on my regular 5x3 routine-

Anyway I searched the browser, since this piqued my interest, and here is a "mathy" answer based on "milk squats".
    To determine your starting weight for the 20-rep squats, take your current 5-RM and subtract 5 lbs for each scheduled workout. So, if your current 5RM is 315 lbs and you are planning to train 3x/week for 6 weeks (18 workouts), you should begin with 225 lbs. (18 workouts x 5 lbs per workout = 90 lbs). Subtracting 90 from 315 gives you 225. Attempt to add 5 lbs. to your squat every workout.
    source: muscleandfitness

Anywho, enjoy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Honestly I have no clue nor would I find it useful for training compared to other schemes.

A decent weight? That is going to depend on the individual and their training history.
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Hard to say using B.W standards. I tried it once and I followed a suggestion where I picked what I could squat 10-12 reps at say RPE 5 and tried that for 20.

Not sure if there's a program around that and if so, I'm not sure what it would be trying to achieve. Fun idea though!

Good luck!
  • pdmatthews
    Thanks folks.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    mthwbrwn wrote: »
    Not exactly my jam right now but I did a program years ago based off of Super Squats. It had the very dubious moniker of "Milk and Squats" which sounds absolutely horrific.

Seemed at the time (and still to this day) to be solidly based on bro-science with its promise of MASS!, but like you I was doing it solely as a challenge and to shake up on my regular 5x3 routine-

Anyway I searched the browser, since this piqued my interest, and here is a "mathy" answer based on "milk squats".
    To determine your starting weight for the 20-rep squats, take your current 5-RM and subtract 5 lbs for each scheduled workout. So, if your current 5RM is 315 lbs and you are planning to train 3x/week for 6 weeks (18 workouts), you should begin with 225 lbs. (18 workouts x 5 lbs per workout = 90 lbs). Subtracting 90 from 315 gives you 225. Attempt to add 5 lbs. to your squat every workout.
    source: muscleandfitness

Anywho, enjoy.
    I did this exact program. It get really hard about 4 1/2 weeks in. It really does teach you that if you pause and breathe you can do a lot more reps than you would otherwise think.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Are you familiar with 5/3/1? Here is a 20 rep squat program along those lines:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-3-1-for-hardgainers
  • pdmatthews
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Are you familiar with 5/3/1? Here is a 20 rep squat program along those lines:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-3-1-for-hardgainers

I’ve followed 531 well nowadays 531863 for 8 or 9 years now. It’s a great program

I guess what I’m really trying to gauge is my strength standard but then again I suppose it’s all relative anyway!!

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    I was thinking of doing this after reading an article recently! My trainer (80 years young) days he and a friend did it back in the day. It was intense but they gained strength and size.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    pdmatthews wrote: »
    I guess what I’m really trying to gauge is my strength standard but then again I suppose it’s all relative anyway!!
    Ahh gotcha

In that case we can do some number crunching and assuming 2x bw squat standard, 90% training max, and the third cycle at 75% are pretty grueling:

2 x .9 x .75 = 1.35

So 20 reps at 1.35x bw would be the standard.

• pdmatthews
    wiigelec wrote: »
    pdmatthews wrote: »
    Ahh gotcha

In that case we can do some number crunching and assuming 2x bw squat standard, 90% training max, and the third cycle at 75% are pretty grueling:

2 x .9 x .75 = 1.35

So 20 reps at 1.35x bw would be the standard.

Perfect. Thanks. So there’s a goal to chase now.