6 teeth yanked and dentures

gettingitright2020
gettingitright2020 Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2019 in Motivation and Support
So I had 6 teeth pulled and a set of dentures put in on monday, with that you would think, awesome can't eat, lose weight. Between the pain of teeth extraction and trying to get used to these dentures, I have been eating alot less. But, the foods I've been able to eat have been higher in calories, such as mashed potatoes, ice cream, pasta, I know there are "healthy" ways to make these but honestly, with still taking care of everyone else in the household I just haven't felt up to it. I've just been trying to limit how much of THOSE foods I've been eating. I haven't done horrible, in 2 weeks I've lost 3 lbs. I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but I know I could have done better. Still can't really chew much, but am going to try and make some better choices this week

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Good job! Focus on healing. No sense beating yourself up over comfort foods while going through a rough experience. It will get easier. ❤️
  • Nice thing is, I am learning how to eat much slower due to the pain and awkwardness, small bites and slow eating sure does give you time to fill up before going back for 2nds
  • goyologo
    goyologo Posts: 138 Member
    A-w-w-w-w-w. Some (((hugs))) to you! This last summer, for orthodontia I absolutely had to get done, I had only a single tooth extracted & it was very stressful and hurt like the dickens. So, my hat's off to you for getting those extractions and your dentures. You are brave & doing what you need to to take best care of your health. Untreated tooth and gum disease are associated with poorer health outcomes, like increased risk of cardiovascular disease and dementia; not to mention pain and self-consciousness about appearance. You have just taken a hugely important step to take care of yourself and your current and future health -- you deserve to give yourself a big pat on the back. I was wiped after my tooth extraction for a good week. In my opinion you need to take it easy. Netflix binge time. Nap time. Yeah, chocolate pudding time. Mashed sweet potato time. Chocolate smoothie time. Anyway, good for you. Take good care of yourself and good luck adjusting to your new, healthier mouth and moving forward with your wieght & fitness goals.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,064 Member
    Although I don't have any advice about food, maybe homemade soups if you can find the time?
    But I think you are SO brave to have that done!!

I'm 25 and not had so much as a filling yet. But increasing sensitivity is making me think I'm gonna need one soon and I am TERRIFIED!
    So I just wanted to say that you're amazingly brave and really just keep going as you're going! It's hard when you're limited so don't kick yourself about any weight loss goals now!
  • goyologo
    goyologo Posts: 138 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Although I don't have any advice about food, maybe homemade soups if you can find the time?

I'm 25 and not had so much as a filling yet. But increasing sensitivity is making me think I'm gonna need one soon and I am TERRIFIED!

Hey Bex,
    You really should have a dentist check out the sensitivity. It may not be decay or gum disease but if it is treatment now can save you from scarier + more expensive procedures (like crowns/root canal/gum planing or surgery) later.
    You are so lucky not to have had even a filling yet! Probably that is because you have been taking good care of your teeth & getting regular cleanings/check-ups -- so your dentist is aware of the sensitivity & you don't need this advice.
    [I guess you can tell I'm a concerned Mom-type. Hope this is not coming across as a bossy Mom-type :=)]

• fionalinsley
    fionalinsley Posts: 1 Member
    The scale is only one way to measure success. Just because the scale doesn’t move or much, doesn’t mean you don’t have fat loss.
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    3lbs in two weeks is a very healthy loss rate
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,064 Member
    goyologo wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »

Hey Bex,
    You really should have a dentist check out the sensitivity. It may not be decay or gum disease but if it is treatment now can save you from scarier + more expensive procedures (like crowns/root canal/gum planing or surgery) later.
    You are so lucky not to have had even a filling yet! Probably that is because you have been taking good care of your teeth & getting regular cleanings/check-ups -- so your dentist is aware of the sensitivity & you don't need this advice.
    [I guess you can tell I'm a concerned Mom-type. Hope this is not coming across as a bossy Mom-type :=)]

Haha I'm a mum too so I get it!
    I hate the dentist but yeah my mum always made me go!
    I don't like going because if I did need big work I don't know how I'd go through with it. Id be very likely to decline and/or have a panic attack. I don't know why I'm so scared when I've had no major work lol!