What are your strategies to avoid overeating on Thanksgiving?

Options
GreenValli
GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
I do not do well with holiday eating! I just lost weight that I have had hanging on me for a long time. I love Thanksgiving food! Any suggestions on how to not overeat?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I personally plan to overeat because it is just one day and it is my favorite holiday. However, if you want to limit how much you eat of the higher calorie items make a plan to eat a fair amount of lower calorie food first to dampen your hunger.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    MY bigger issue by far will be December. I am doing the cooking for Thanksgiving, and staying in town. So doing cornish hens, we are not turkey eaters. And I am planning on some side dishes and dessert but staying low carb all the way.
    Try pre-logging
    Consider using a smaller plate, than a full size dinner plate. And fill it only once.
    Maybe for the days leading up to Thursday consider saving 100 calories per day, so on Thursday you could have a 300 to 500 more calories. So if you considered the week as a whole you would still be ok.
    Realize it is one day, and you will just come back strong.
    Take a nice walk at some point during the day (depending on weather of course)
    Good luck!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    This year I'm staying outside of the United States.... That will make it easier lol
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    There are a very limited number of days a year that I don’t worry about counting calories at all. Thanksgiving is one of those days. One day of being over my calories, even over my maintenance calories is not going to matter. It’s all the indulgences between Thanksgiving and the New Year that screw people.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are each ONE day. That’s two days of not counting calories. Stick to your plan the rest of the holiday season and you can really just kick back and enjoy the actual holidays guilt free.
  • StephanieLWS
    StephanieLWS Posts: 22 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I'll eat some of everything I want and not so much mind the calories on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day but I have to be careful about the amt of fat for medical reasons. In the past I'd just pig out and love it all the way to being overstuffed! But I don't like the feeling of being even full anymore, even if it's on carrots!! lol

I also do all of the cooking myself - with some helpers, but it's my recipes for everything. So I know exactly what's in each. Only a few dishes are store-bought pre-mixes and they have labels.

Also, there's no reason not to enjoy leftovers. And most things can freeze pretty well. I frequently do this. I just measure it out into containers or freezable plastic baggies and reheat.
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Eat a filling snack before the dinner party like banana and peanut butter or Greek yogurt and roasted almonds. After sampling everything worth the calories, put drops of peppermint oil on my tongue to mimic brushing my teeth to signal to myself I'm done and mess up my taste buds for more.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm banking calories next week ahead of the Thanksgiving weekend. That being said, I am not going to just gorge on the food like I used too. I plan on eating a small sample of the foods I love, including pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream. I will be staying with my sister and also be working out in her home gym. On Monday, back to business as usual. Enjoy your family and don't sweat it!
  • skinnybreeches165
    Options
    I just keep reminding myself that i can have this food anytime of year..its not only available once a year!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I'll be enjoying the moment but will track my data points just like every regular day.
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Reminding myself , "I already know what ____ tastes like so don't need a bite." Or take a little taste decide if whatever it is is worth walking x amount steps?