Hungry all the time

I've gotten in really great shape in the last six months. I've lost about 20 lbs by eating very clean and training 6 times a week. Not only am I proud of the shape I'm in, but also proud of the fact that I had been consistently exercising great discipline and self control specially with my nutrition and meal planning. But in the last month, I've had a harder time sticking with my meal planning and find myself binging more often. So far I've managed to keep the weight off and I'm still training consistently and intensely. I'm just trying to avoid going down the wrong path and picking up old bad habits. Anyone have any advice? Anyone have the same issue? Thanks !

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    In addition to good advice above (especially the question of whether you're fueling enough, and sleeping), I'd also ask whether you've changed something in the modality of your exercise and activity relatively recently, such as the form of exercising (y'know, swimming, cycling, weight lifting, etc.), the intensity of exercise (faster running, HIIT vs more moderate intervals, more frequent higher-intensity vs. lower-intensity workouts, that sort of thing); the duration of some exercise (even if eating back the higher calories); the frequency of exercise; or the intervals for recovery between exercises that put stress on the same muscle groups or body systems (like doing something on successive days that used to be every other day).

Some of us find that different exercises or intensities create more hunger than others, and it seems to differ by person (and sometimes even differs at different times for the same person). For example, for me, even quite moderate weight training seems to affect my appetite, in ways that even fairly intense cardio doesn't.

Also, don't assume that "eating clean" is necessarily getting you well-rounded nutrition. If you haven't, you might want to spot-check a couple of days for micronutrient levels, especially things that can relate to subtle fatigue like iron. Pills/supplements may not do the job as well as nutrients from food. I'll assume you've already tuned up your macro-level nutrition, if you're logging here.

Changes in daily life stress level might also contribute to appetite changes. Since you're already getting plenty of exercise, if stress is up, you might want to consider stress reduction techniques.

Best wishes!
  • twobongs
    twobongs Posts: 2 Member
    Wow! Thanks everyone for these amazing responses.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Are you meeting fat and protein needs?
  • stwo1970
    stwo1970 Posts: 2 Member
    You might need to look at when you're timing your meals too. I need to eat some protein right after (within 20 minutes) exercise or I spend the entire rest of the day hungry. It doesn't matter how much I eat, I still end up playing "catch up" to my hunger.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I find protein keeps me feeling full. Any carb and I get hungry. The only exception to that is a SMALL amount of ice cream (1/4 cup high quality) with yogurt and nuts to up the protein and cut the sweet taste is very satisfying and keeps me from being hungry.
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    I am aligned with nxd10 above.
    If I keep my carbs low (100 or less grams per day and no sugar, or processed stuff) I have no problems with hunger. None.
    I make up the rest of my calories with protein and fat. It’s almost hard to get it all in on any given day.
    I am 5’7” tall, very light frame, and a long-limbed wirey type at 120 pounds.
    I do carry some muscle and have kept it during my weight loss of about 30 pounds.
    I attribute that to eating at LEAST 100 grams of protein a day, and a good amount of fats, along with consistent lifting.
    I’m also 59 and post-menopausal, having lost all my mid-life pudge over the last year.

You may not be eating enough consistently to fuel recovery, or you may be eating the wrong things.
    Alcohol, sugar, carbs, processed foods, stress, lack of sleep—will all mess with your appetite and ability to maintain.

Try working on eating only fresh veggies, mostly non-starchy ones, a bit of fresh fruit (not juice) and keeping total carbs under 30-40 per meal unless you just did a killer workout.
    You may find you’re not hungry and feel a whole lot better.