Percentages of nutrients

Options
Nutrient percentages says they are based on a 2000 calorie intake. What percentage should i use on a 3000 calorie diet. Should it be 150% or still 100% ??

Replies

• Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    A percentage is just that - a proportion of whatever the calorie amount is.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Right.. if you're taking from a total of 3000, you can't go over 100% unless you also go over 3000.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Mathematically speaking, I'm not sure people get what you're asking.

I, too, am a little befuddled, but for this reason:

* If you require 3000 calories because you're a large (not over-fat, just tall/broad/muscular) person, you may need more of certain nutrients than someone who requires a 2000 calorie diet.
    * If you require 3000 because you're still-overfat (i.e., if you were at a healthy goal weight, 2000 would be closer), then you may not need extra of most nutrients.
    * If you require 3000 because you're 2000-calorie-sized, but extremely active, some of your nutrient needs may be higher, and which ones might depend on the nature of the activity (for example, if lots of muscle challenge, resulting in muscle tissue breakdown and need to rebuild, then probably need more protein - though protein isn't usually looked at as percentages (except in MFP ;) ), so maybe you mean micronutrients?).

You might get some help with this from the USDA dietary reference intake calculator:

https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/

I don't think it's perfect, but it may be more tailored (especially with respect to micros) than what you'll get here from our typed-out verbiage. You should be able to compare that to the generic 2000-calorie amounts, and figure out a sensible percentage to use.

If protein is part of the issue, I think this is a good (and reasonably scientifically sound/neutral) source:

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

I personally think the USDA site lowballs protein, based on more recent research that's reflected in the Examine.com article.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular nutrient that is testing low in your blood work? If so the normal percentages will help you research what food you should be targeting if you wish to up your intake through food.

If there is not a problem with your blood tests what is your motivation for asking? Knowing this might help frame an answer that is appropriate.