Gone off coffee?

Options
I don't know why but I can't stand drinking coffee anymore. I used to drink 6 cups a day. And now every cup I try to drink I hate. Anyone else found that. Could it be hormones? I need to figure out what to eat instead.. life has significantly changed. And now I am put on weight.🥺

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to say this because I have no idea of your circumstances but sudden aversion to coffee and putting on weight are classic signs of pregnancy.

It’s exactly what sprang to mind when I read your post.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I never developed a coffee *aversion*, but when my doc put me on adderall, I started to *forget* to drink coffee because I no longer needed the stimulant at all hours of the day to keep my brain going and my blood pressure up in the useful range. Maybe do a review of your lifestyle/habits and see if anything else about you has changed that might explain the change. Is your sense of smell improved? Degraded? Are you on any new meds? Did you stop taking other meds? Did you have an expected hormonal change? (Pregnancy, peri menopause, menopause, change in birth control option, etc.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to say this because I have no idea of your circumstances but sudden aversion to coffee and putting on weight are classic signs of pregnancy.

It’s exactly what sprang to mind when I read your post.

It is not as common, but aversion to things like coffee have happened in menopause too.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @changeisnoww Whoa, Nelly...my grandmother had twins at the age of 44. Big surprise. Her doctor poo-poo'd her, told here she was just beginning to go through menopause.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    One way or the other, the consensus is that this could be hormonal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My mom can't drink tea and doesn't like coffee so takes caffeine pills for an energy booster.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I had to give up coffee and caffeine due to reflux. I drink a lot of Tazo passion herbal tea! I would try subbing teas until you find some you like.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few ex smokers whose tastebuds changed once they got off the cigs.. including some who cant stand the taste of coffee now..
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    That happens to me once in a while. It just suddenly tastes wretched to me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    In menopause lol so don't think I seem in pregnant.. got me thinking for a minute there. 😆

The primary symptom of menopause is the same as the primary symptom of pregnancy.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I recently had a bad sinus infection and the thought of coffee made me nauseous....during and afterwards. I drank tea for about two weeks. Finally had my first cup of coffee since the hiatus on Monday. It’s like it took me some weeks to realize I like it again. Weird.
  • garthallen
    garthallen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I have dropped my coffee's from 8+ cups to 3 cups since I've started walking everyday and gym 3x a week. You may want to look into Yerba Mate if you want a natural coffee replacement. It's a tea from the yerba mate tree. The south american's drink it a lot. Also I drink water more often throughout the day.
  • Fiorefleur
    Fiorefleur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Once I began ordering healthy at Starbucks none of it came out good. So I reach out for smoothies instead - I don’t even bat an eye at coffee now. At home I’m terrible at making iced coffee and don’t like warm , so I don’t Make it at home either . Now I grab unsweet tea or a small green smoothie instead - always cold drinks . 😅
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just burned out on it? I used to drink 6 cups a day and then one day just decided to stop cold turkey. I didn't touch the stuff for almost a year! Now I drink 1-3 cups a day. Sometimes I go a couple days without as well.