Buy smaller clothes for motivation?

Options
Does buying clothes in a smaller size aid motivation for slimming it just make you feel bad?

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've done it but never got into them so donated to Goodwill,I think I was shooting for a tiny size that I'll never be able to get to it maintain without it being very difficult! Lose some weight and treat yourself to a few things then and as you continue to get to your goal😁
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I already have clothes at home that I no longer fit into so no need to buy anymore too small clothes LOL.
    Sure I'd love to wear those clothes again, (especially a specific pair of shorts that I love) but it's not a huge motivator for me
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree that better to wait to fit into clothes and buying as a reward, although as folks have mentioned, for me nothing is as fun as going shopping in my own closet and fitting back into all the smaller sizes I have.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Presumably you’re trying to lose weight for your health, for an appearance you prefer, or for some reason other than fitting into a specific size. If your goal is just a specific clothing size, I’d recommend reconsidering that. You don’t know what size or shape your body will be when you reach your goal weight. Even in maintenance, most bodies continue to change. Buying clothes you may never be able to wear is potentially a huge waste of money. Let something other than a clothing size be your goal.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I gave away all my smaller clothes a couple years ago, so I have no smaller clothes in my closet. I have lost 40 pounds, but have a long way to go. I have recently begun buying a few things on clearance, in one size smaller as motivation, but limit this to brands and styles that I already own in my current size so I know they will fit properly. I have a pair of denim leggings hanging on my closet door for motivation. However, I do not buy anything in my goal size as that is farther away and I am not sure how my body will look when I get there.