drinking coffee while trying to lose weight?

2»

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I drink about a cup and a half of coffee every morning with fat free creamer.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    if you drink coffee in the a.m:

drink
    wait
    go!
    weigh

definite drop in the scale then!:smokin:

I haven't drank coffee for years. I am way too high of energy a person as it is, can't expect my co-workers to keep up with me. Then me on coffee too, they'd never understand a word I said. :tongue:
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    I cant drink coffee.. for some reason it makes me really freakin tired!! Anyway, I refuse to drink anything but water lol.. I want to save my cals! haha
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    I'm pretty much an addict and drink 2 - 4 cups a day with about a teaspoon of half and half in each and every cup. I look at MFP as more of a behavior modification than a diet. I'm trying to eat better, but I'm not restricting myself from the things I truly love. I've tried that in the past and every time I've failed. I used to use a lot more half and half, but I've cut down because I know it isn't good for me.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    I still drink coffee, lattes and what ever other coffee beverage floats my boat. I just switched to decaf. I use skim milk or lite creamer in moderation. I have lost 116 lbs.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    I still drink coffee, lattes and what ever other coffee beverage floats my boat. I just switched to decaf. I use skim milk or lite creamer in moderation. I have lost 116 lbs.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    I drink two large mugs every morning, black, and it has not effected my weight loss any.
  • Sure, why not.
    Two suggestions that might help reduce some of those calories:

1. The better tasting the coffee to begin with, the less you have to fix it up.
    Like wine, there are all sorts of coffees out there. Go to some coffee shops that sell multiple types and ask for samples. Some may even have "coffee tastings". You may even find one that you don't need to add anything. (My don't add anything coffee is Kona, but it's hard to find around here. Just have to make a trip to Hawaii, lol)
    NOTEI: Mild roasts are lighter tasting but have more caffeine. Dark roasts are richer tasting, but have less caffeine.

2. If you are using cream in your coffee, gradually work your way down to whole milk.
    Say you are using table (18%) cream. switch to half and half (10%) cream for a bit, then to 5% for a bit, then to whole milk. Go all the way to skim milk if you want. Switching to soy or almond milk works too.
  • OatmealBowl
    OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
    I do but watch that creamer.
    I've also come to enjoy a Starbuck's Tall Iced Coffee w/ 2 pump classic syrup and easy on the milk. Rings in 100 calories and is delish. :happy:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    It's best to only use creamer after using a shake weight. :drinker:

Won't it turn to butter?:laugh:

Yes...nut butter.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Yep, I drink it every day with real creamer (International Delight Caffe Breve vanilla caramel creme is my current favorite) and a packet of splenda+fiber. I even count it as water (gasp) in the counter at the bottom too.
  • ercarnes
    ercarnes Posts: 43 Member
    I drink 2 cups every morning with heavy whipping cream. Has not affected my weight lose. I just make sure I log it and all it cost me is 100 calories.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    YUP!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    I do. One of my non-negotiable items is my morning coffee. Using the theory "if you bite it, you write it" (saw this on another post, wish I knew who to credit for the quote...) just add the appropriate calories for the creamer / sugar in your diary. I actually created a recipe for mine, so I don't have to re-do it every day.

The very first meal I set up on MFP was my coffee. I drink about 3 mugs every morning, which is 6 cups total. :drinker:
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    I drink about 3 cups a day and don't log it. I drink it black - I think a cup still has 1-2 calories, but I don't fret about it. Now, if I pick up a latte on the road, that gets logged since it's about 100 calories because of the amount of non-fat milk in it.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    The very first meal I set up on MFP was my coffee. I drink about 3 mugs every morning, which is 6 cups total. :drinker:

Haha I set up a meal called "morning coffee" too :-) But I usually just do a "copy yesterday" now because it's fewer clicks.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    I didn't stop drinking coffee...I didn't start drinking coffee until I was 29 cramming for exams but I am definately a caffene addict now! lol I have one with creamer every weekday morning and one or two on weekend mornings. One totals 37 calories for me...I'm okaw y with that.
  • Emi_Pie
    Emi_Pie Posts: 23
    I don't think it's that big of a problem. I was doing the same thing but recently switched to Black Tea as a substitute in my morning routine to avoid the creamer and sweetener calories.

Right now I am drinking TAZO Awake but I have also had Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea, which is good as well.
  • Coffee with creamer is the only "unhealthy" thing i can't give up! Just make sure you measure the creamer, you would be surprised how much more you are really putting in if you don't! (: