Portions

Options
I need help. I'm a single mum to a 2 year old and we are vegan so I cook quite a bit from scratch. When I'm putting in a recipe I don't know how to do servings as hers obviously isn't an equivalent serving to mine. Any advice?

Replies

• ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Your best bet is to get a food scale and enter your portion in by the food's weight in grams.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale, so I weigh the whole dish to determine the number of servings.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Make and create your recipe in the recipe builder. Weigh the entire finished product. Let’s say it weighs 265g - enter the servings of the recipe as if it has 265 servings. Then weigh your portion - again, let’s guess at 180g on your plate. So you log 180 portions.

This method has been a game changer for me - so grateful for whoever it was I first saw explain it on these forums! 😊
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Make and create your recipe in the recipe builder. Weigh the entire finished product. Let’s say it weighs 265g - enter the servings of the recipe as if it has 265 servings. Then weigh your portion - again, let’s guess at 180g on your plate. So you log 180 portions.

This method has been a game changer for me - so grateful for whoever it was I first saw explain it on these forums! 😊

Dont know why I haven't thought to do this! Thank you!!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

That’s not what the OP is asking and, personally, I think calling into question her health choices for herself and her child is unnecessary and somewhat insulting.
  • niamhdean97
    Options

Don't worry, my daughter is getting a superb diet, she is extremely healthy and the British and American dietetic association have both said that a vegan diet is safe for all stages of life.
  • niamhdean97
    Options

That’s not what the OP is asking and, personally, I think calling into question her health choices for herself and her child is unnecessary and somewhat insulting.

Thank you, I completely agree. It is insulting when someone passes judgement on the way you raise your child as if to say they think I'm not looking out for her and taking her health seriously. So thank you for the comment :)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When I'm putting in a recipe I don't know how to do servings as hers obviously isn't an equivalent serving to mine. Any advice?
    Not only that but my own serving size may not be exactly predictable.

I include a unit of measure in the name of my recipes. For instance "Spice rub per gram," or "Mashed potatoes per ounce." Then I edit the recipe to make the number of servings equal to the finished weight.

It is easier to do this if you make a list of tare weights for your pots, pans, and mixing vessels. It is also to a good idea to keep this strategy in mind when picking out your scale. You'll need a scale capacity large enough to handle your dutch oven filled with chili. It's also handy if the platform is big enough that you can read the display with your pot or pan sitting on it.