What was your favourite toy growing up?

Options
13»

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I was pretty in love with my stuffed animals, especially bears & one particular unicorn.

Stuffed animals were my favourite too.

I wasn't really into Barbies but that's what all my friends wanted to play so I had to have a couple of them. My mum used to make a lot of clothing and she'd make Barbie clothes out of the leftover fabric. I never wanted a Ken, and my Barbies were always single career women with a great wardrobe, the cool sports car, and lots of pets. My friends' Barbies dated, got married and had kids.

It proved strangely prophetic.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    I had Barbies and the such but my absolute favorite was always my bicycle.
    It was freedom, I was always outside riding my bike somewhere.
  • jc4meandu
    jc4meandu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Six million dollar man action figure and my cool BMX bike. 😀 ahhhhh memories!!4hw77vylw38x.jpeg
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    BAM.

Cabbage Patch Kids Stencil Kit.🔥

1983-Tomy-Cabbage-Patch-Kids-Storybook-Drawing-Kit.jpg

But, um, most of the time I was outside playing football though 👀
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    a stick I might find lying on the ground.

Oh, man... you got sticks! Show off...

For me, roller skates. I'm old enough that I had the old fashioned kind with the key to tighten the bolts that would loosen to the point that the skates would fall apart while skating in them. Still have the scars to prove the stumbles. The newfangled things the kids have today put our old-timey stuff to shame. Pretty soon, kids will be hopping on their drones for school transport.

Still, loved those old-timey skates... hardly took them off for 3-4 yrs, 'til they couldn't be extended any further & my shoe size outgrew the skates. Dang hormones...

Bet some people never had to worry about outgrowing their sticks. Lucky kids...
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    tetris-on-game-boy-2.jpg

I saved up my money until I could by one. Took me awhile, but I did it. :smiley:

And a stuffed collie that I won with my dad's help at an old arcade place (similar to a Chuck E. Cheese's). That stuffed animal is still around and now belongs to my son in part of his massive plush collection. :)

Lol, I was about to post about my old gameboy color! Played pokemon gold and silver on that thing. Loved every minute of it.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    tetris-on-game-boy-2.jpg

I saved up my money until I could by one. Took me awhile, but I did it. :smiley:

And a stuffed collie that I won with my dad's help at an old arcade place (similar to a Chuck E. Cheese's). That stuffed animal is still around and now belongs to my son in part of his massive plush collection. :)

Now I'm going to be hearing Tetris music in my head all day
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    My Chatty Cathy doll. How I loved that thing!! Then all my Barbies. The blonde bubble head doll; the Barbie that had a bald head and 3 wigs, wish I had all those toys now. :/ And all my stacks and stacks of nickel comic books. *sigh*
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    those little plastic army soldiars. i loved them we would set up a war

Good Lord, Yes.

My bedroom became a battlefield.

come to think of it....

it still is.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    My Chatty Cathy doll. How I loved that thing!! Then all my Barbies. The blonde bubble head doll; the Barbie that had a bald head and 3 wigs, wish I had all those toys now. :/ And all my stacks and stacks of nickel comic books. *sigh*

To paraphrase Anthony Jeselnik:

Barbie Dolls set unrealistic expectations for both girls and boys.

For girls, the long, long legs and other physical proportions aren't attainable in real life.

For boys, the heads really don't pop off that easily.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    @Motorsheen

So funny, I had plenty of headless Barbies. 😂
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Nice thread!

The Nintendo 64, so much time wasted but it was worth it, then XBOX. I was obsessed with Halo. I remember the wait for Halo 2, it was like the second coming for me.

I loved my trampoline too despite all the injuries.

I was also really into BIONICLES.
  • KUMEcyclingteam
    KUMEcyclingteam Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    z5ga7ris732d.jpg
    My brother and I would play this for HOURS! We lived!
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    z5ga7ris732d.jpg

yeah, you lived.... but what about the neighbor's cat ??

awesome game btw, Lawn Darts, loved those things
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    GI Joe. My Barbies kicked Ken out when they learned that Joe had movable parts.
  • _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    cbzu06x6osya.jpg
  • KUMEcyclingteam
    KUMEcyclingteam Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    z5ga7ris732d.jpg

yeah, you lived.... but what about the neighbor's cat ??

awesome game btw, Lawn Darts, loved those things

Never hit the cat, the roof of the convertable, now that's another story!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    tams_89 wrote: »
    ktltzkryeanx.jpg
    g5pux1grnoi0.jpg
    ckrjomoo5uxh.jpg
    xktwi81yhwp4.jpg
    gsu7uze464tu.png3eathkz3ibb8.jpg
    A few of my favourites

Tamagochis are making a big comeback. My daughter is now collecting them and has 8. Fortunately I don't need to babysit them during the day like I had to the first time round!

My favourite toy was my teddy bear (complete with glass eyes). I got her for my first Christmas. I still have her 59 years later and all she is missing is one eye. Still has the bells in her ears.

Oh yes, for some reason we bought our kids a furby. Sadly it "broke" and wouldn't talk any more (we removed the batteries to save our sanity).