Abstinence

Options
Hello All,

Is it possible to abstain from unhealthy food? Unlike any other addiction like drugs or alcohol, I can't abstain from eating. Is it realistic to say I will abstain from icecream or am I setting myself up for failure?

Thoughts and what works for you is appricated.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Going with your example, is it just one ice cream occasionally? Or do you not stop until you've finished the container or the whole packet? If its the occasional ice cream go with moderation and fit it into your daily calorie allowance.

Some people can moderate well, others cannot (I don't moderate well at all). Some people are better than abstaining than they are moderating. Some people work between them both, abstaining at times and moderating at others.

It can be difficult abstaining, the temptation will likely always be there. Some feel that we need to learn to moderate better rather than abstaining. Do what works for you, that may vary on the circumstances or change in the future.

I typically abstain from the foods I easily or tend to overeat. It works for me most of the time......

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I can’t control myself with gumdrops so I tossed them on day one and haven’t had one since. Any of my other favorite foods, I fit into my daily calories.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream is a huge trigger for me. So over time, I got off it, and replaced with Frozen lowfat yogurt. Somewhat better, but still an issue when in a 24 hour period one eats the whole half gallon.
    So when I started up again here. I told myself again, no ice cream, no frozen yogurt in the house. If I am going to eat it. We will go to a shop and get a serving of it. But keep it out of the house. If in house, I will eat it. So far no trips to get it, in 11 weeks.
    I have same issue with a few other sweet foods, so do not allow in house either. Been cooking with alternate flours and sugars which has helped in that area.
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to decide what to do about me and desserts. I struggle with binge eating in general, but it's especially difficult with desserts. I've always said, "I'll bake cookies/cake/whatever and only have a little bit," but that never works. I devour a massive amount. I'm not sure it's possible for me to do moderation with it. It's possible that the only way I can do it is if I go out to a restaurant and order a dessert and eat the portion they give me on very rare occasions (because restaurant desserts are absurd in their calories). Or maybe I'll be able to eat "desserts" that aren't very sweet? I had some "chia pudding" the other day that didn't seem to set me off. I don't know.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a whole different scenario and would have helpful to be to included in your original post. Regardless of what you read here - including my own earlier post, I hope you follow the guidelines set by your mental health care team.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    No need to abstain from anything, if you can learn to moderate all foods you love and stay in a calorie deficit for weight loss. Practicing self control is easier than abstaining for life.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Changing my mind about food portions has been my biggest challenge with my wlj. I guess you could classify me as a binge eater also, since certain foods I would just keep eating till I was sick. I now tend to eat more nutritionally balanced food or so called "healthier" options, but doesn't mean I won't allow and indulge in some NOT SO HEALTHY options, as long as I stay within my allotted calories. I have to think long term now that I am closer to maintenance and to deny myself is just not practical for long term sanity.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i think you have to figure out what is right for you. Some foods I cant handle, a big bag of chips, can of nuts so I get small bag or small package of nuts. I have been having a time with cinn buns but still trying to get a plan, I took them to church last night so I would just have one and left the rest there. Some people can do without junk food but I admit I want some every once in a while but am cautious and get me a plan.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I personally agree with many of the people above that abstinence can be a two sided blade. Some people do well being fully flexible with their WOE. Some, do better avoiding many things. I THINK that a period of abstinence can be a good thing for some people. It gives them time to develop new habits and get a taste for foods they might not have liked before. It also allows them to experiment with adding foods in and seeing if they can handle them in small amounts. As long as you are not too effected by the AVE (abstinence violation effect), go for it and see which side of the blade you fall on. Best wishes!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Probably why over 80% of people fail at keeping the weight off, myself included. It is a long term commitment and not east to abstain for life.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Probably why over 80% of people fail at keeping the weight off, myself included. It is a long term commitment and not east to abstain for life.

80% might be a little high... lol, but agreed, on top of the biological drive to regain and environment. It is not easy at all.