Need help from the cooks out there

Options
I am making the below dish for thanksgiving. I am contemplating making it the night before, except for the breadcrumb topping under the broiler which I would do day of. I am terrible at judging what can be made ahead of time and what needs to be made and served right away. Another question: it basically is cooked, broiled, and served in the same dish. Could I cook it in a pan and then transfer it to an oven-friendly serving dish for the broiling and serving? I can use any advice I can get! Thanks in advance.

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/creamed-greens-farro

Replies

• meatsweats73
    meatsweats73 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I would do it like this:

put the dish together the night before, except for the breadcrumb topping, and refrigerate it in the dish you're going to bake it in. The next day, heat it up (covered with foil), without the breadcrumb topping. Then, once it's hot, add the topping and broil it. It should work.

Just follow the recipe, cook it in the pan, and then put everything in the baking dish. It'll be delicious!
  • nicoleseph0321
    nicoleseph0321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above! This looks really yummy, I’m bookmarking the recipe!
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I would do it like this:

put the dish together the night before, except for the breadcrumb topping, and refrigerate it in the dish you're going to bake it in. The next day, heat it up (covered with foil), without the breadcrumb topping. Then, once it's hot, add the topping and broil it. It should work.

Just follow the recipe, cook it in the pan, and then put everything in the baking dish. It'll be delicious!

This, except I would under-cook the greens somewhat, otherwise they will be overcooked during the reheating.

I made a Swiss chard casserole weekend before last - I cooked it Saturday, and did the breadcrumbs and reheat Sunday, and the greens were more cooked than I like. Normally I do it all at once and it is fine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that you will need to cook it about 1/2 hr longer coming from the fridge than when you make it on the spot.