Black Friday

Options
I am going to participate in the chaos that is Black Friday this year. I know that I will be up and moving and possibly fighting my way through the crowds.

My question is how do I log this exercise so that I get credit for it? I have an apple watch but it doesn't track exercise well unless I put in a workout.

Replies

• katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I am going to participate in the chaos that is Black Friday this year. I know that I will be up and moving and possibly fighting my way through the crowds.

My question is how do I log this exercise so that I get credit for it? I have an apple watch but it doesn't track exercise well unless I put in a workout.

in the workout thing, select "other" as your work out.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    katermari wrote: »

in the workout thing, select "other" as your work out.

For the entire 5-6 hours I'm out? That doesn't seem very accurate. lol
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It’s just steps, just like any other day. Your watch tracks steps all day long doesn’t it? You don’t need to do anything extra/special.

Good luck with Black Friday. I hate the whole concept and will be staying home all day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There's gotta be an entry you can use...maybe search for "pushing down old ladies", and "kicking small children our of your way".

Extra points if you add "Climbing over barriers" and "Running from mall security guards".

You could probably log that as an obstacle race / tough mudder! B)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,589 Member
    Options
    I've seen friends log shopping.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I've seen friends log shopping.

I've seen friends - on MFP and IRL - do lots of things that really aren't a very super-good idea. If someone has a long-established average TDEE (based on logging their own data carefully and monitoring scale weight results), especially if their daily life movement is very limited (such as by illness or physical disability), then it might make sense to log some unusually large (for them) amount of a common, but unusual for them, activity.

OP, does your Apple watch recognize "walking" as a workout activity that you can set? If so, maybe do that. Any difference from fighting (?!) on top of that would be quite minor, in calorie terms.

Unless the amount of walking involved in shopping is substantially more walking than you'd normally do in a day, I personally wouldn't log it at all. I'm not a big fan in general of taking extra exercise as an add-on to deficit, especially not on a regular basis, but if something is objectively a reasonably small difference, it might be the best answer.

The Compendium of Physical Activities**, for comparison purposes, lists activity 05055 ("putting away groceries (e.g. carrying groceries, shopping without a grocery cart), carrying packages") as 2.5 METS, and that's about the closest thing listed. That would be slightly lower calorie burn than activity 17152 ("walking, 2.0 mph, level, slow pace, firm surface") at 2.8 METS. (MFP, under the covers of the exercise database, pretty much uses METS to estimate exercise calories, mostly. More info about METS and how they work is at link below.)

** https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Depends. What are you going to buy?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

My question is how do I log this exercise so that I get credit for it?

Seriously?

Agreed. Most people have much bigger fish to fry from a diet and exercise perspective than hoping to get a few hundred extra calories for a once a year event.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

I don't have an apple watch but I used to have a fitbit. I'm confused - doesn't your AW track your steps?

Are you familiar with this? https://www.businessinsider.com/does-apple-watch-track-steps-how-to
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    While shopping all day can be exhausting, so can standing more than usual I wouldn't consider it a workout other than the extra steps you may have taken.