1700 calories

My goal is 1200 calories for the day but I ended up with a total of 1700 and burned around 360 doing elliptical yesterday .. not too bad!

Replies

• RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    If your goal is 1200 calories, try to stick to 1200 calories and not rely on additional activity to achieve fat loss. Also worth remembering that 1200 calories per day = 8400 calories per week. That can be split into 7 days of 1200 or you can cycle with low days and high days ie 4 days of 1000 calories and 3 days of 1450ish. Calorie cycling like this can help with adherence.

Without additional information about your existing weight it's difficult to assess if 1200 calories is too low for you. The general rule for fat loss is to set calories between ten and 12 times bodyweight so if we say you're at the lower end then I'm guessing you weigh about 120lbs?
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    Thank you for the tip
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    @koalathebear I am taking the same approach - I eat some exercise calories, but try not to eat all of them
  • GlobeYack
    GlobeYack Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2019
    Erm, I have to disagree with the this calorie debate thus far to an extent. Today, I've been struggling to even reach my calorie goal which is the minimum of 1200 daily. I still have 200 odd calories left to use today but I'm simply not hungry. I would be just over my calorie intake if I didn't include exercise. 1200 calories to me is A LOT. However, I have lost 4lbs since the 1st of October although that was unintentional; I had taken leave from the app due to personal circumstances and hadn't even realised I lost weight. I'm seriously struggling to eat the minimum daily calories even without exercising. My main meal was only 300 odd calories which was a minor dent in the 1200 calories for today. I just don't know how anyone can eat that many calories but that's just me.

Edit: the exercise includes the amount of steps I've taken today as well as gardening and general house work so it's actually something I can't avoid from that point of view.
  • GlobeYack
    Yes. I've even got a can of cola on there and a chocolate biscuit. I have nothing to hide. I'm not ashamed of what I eat. Lying to myself isn't going to help the situation. The problem may lie in the fact that I don't eat breakfast though but other than that, I put literally everything I do and eat into the diary. I appreciate your skepticism with this situation but I can assure you, I'm here to lose weight, not to lie 😊
  • GlobeYack
    edited November 2019
    But, I have always had weight problems throughout my life. I was underweight for most of my life then depression set in 6 years ago. It was then that my weight was going up and down. I started comfort eating which increased my weight dramatically. My life has been... dramatic, I suppose would be the word and it doesn't help that I can't really exercise although I try.

Just to say, I'm not strictly overweight but according to my BMI, I'm on the border of being overweight. I'm literally just on the edge of normal weight. But there are other contributory factors that may he accountable.

I also can't exercise so my options a restricted when it comes to it although I try to, I do regret it such as today. I'm already regretting my decision to exercise today.
  • GlobeYack
    edited November 2019
    I never stated about anyone's plate or food specifically. I said calories. I don't look at someone's plate and think "woah, that's a lot of food" I look at my own plate and think "how many portions am I going to have to eat before I hit my calorie intake" and I also didn't mean it negatively, either though I do apologise you took it that way. I was meaning it in the sense that I find it hard to eat 3 meals a day and physically, I'm confused as to how people can eat that much. If that makes sense.

Like, my stomach doesn't allow me to eat 3 square meals a day although I try and I'm aware it isn't normal but those who do eat 3 meals a day are normal. Do you get what I mean now?

It's more of... I don't understand how I can't eat 1200 calories per day but other people can. I'm rubbish at wording my thoughts.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    @koalathebear I am taking the same approach - I eat some exercise calories, but try not to eat all of them

Same - because I think exercise calories tend to be over-estimated. I notice people disagree with my approach but I can't see why. Living on 1200 calories would not be fun for me at all and I don't see anything unhealthy/inappropriate about boosting my budget with exercise.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    1200 calories is far too low. Even MFP lists it as the absolute minimum
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    RovP6 wrote: »
    If your goal is 1200 calories, try to stick to 1200 calories and not rely on additional activity to achieve fat loss. Also worth remembering that 1200 calories per day = 8400 calories per week. That can be split into 7 days of 1200 or you can cycle with low days and high days ie 4 days of 1000 calories and 3 days of 1450ish. Calorie cycling like this can help with adherence.

Without additional information about your existing weight it's difficult to assess if 1200 calories is too low for you. The general rule for fat loss is to set calories between ten and 12 times bodyweight so if we say you're at the lower end then I'm guessing you weigh about 120lbs?

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

kshama - that Help Desk link is broken...just a heads up since I've run into that a lot recently with my cached links, too.

Here's the new link:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

They messed with the URLs. Alex said he was looking into it.