Best Fibre Supplement?

Options
Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your support.

I am going to add a fibre supplement to my weight loss regimen, and I find myself wondering which is best to use.

Considering these supplements come with a caloric value, I want to be sure that if I'm spending an allotment of my daily caloric intake to this, I am choosing wisely!

Your pal,

Floody

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Whatever fiber supplement you use, I would also gently have you consider foods that already contain a lot of fiber. Fiber supplements while very helpful are not really a substitute for eating what you need. And a lot of these foods are also relatively easy to fit into your eating plan.

Some of my favorites include:

Carb balanced wraps
    Kashi line of foods (cereals, meals, and more)
    Beans and rice (perhaps in the carb balanced wrap)
    Kodiak brand of pancakes, brownies, muffins, etc.
    Black bean brownies
    And of course, the old classic...fruits and veggies
  • Ryan_Flood
    Ryan_Flood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Certainly great advice!

Thanks!
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this. (I'm also upping fiber with food choices.)

Short version:
    Most tablets are not very caloric but you have to take a lot of them. So to up my soluable fiber 20%, I'm taking 6 tablets twice per day. 20 calories. Its Psyllium fiber. I get mine at Costco.

Have to drink a lot of water with it. (I drink 2 glasses per 6 tablet dose.)

The stuff you mix in water is way more caloric because it has sugar.

I'm trying to lower LDL and am taking the kitchen sink approach (lot of exercise, better diet, losing weight, more sleep, more fiber, etc) and the tablets are one component. I've had no side effects.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking into Tino High Fiber. It's available on Amazon among other places. It's pricey, but the upside is that a tablespoon of the stuff (mixed in water) contains 10 mg of fiber, which is 5x as much as most other fiber products. I've been taking it on and off for a year or two with good results. It has almost no flavor - you can mix it into a glass of water and it pretty much tastes like water. It has 30 calories per tablespoon, which isn't bad relatively speaking.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am not very picky. I use benefiber or the generic metamucil pills. I supplement on low fiber days when I eat outside of my normal system so my intake remain consistent. Before doing this after a few days of low fiber it was kind of harsh resuming. That is the only problem I have found with increasing my fiber to 40ish is that it is easy to do at home but not as easy if a restaurant consumes a large portion of the daily calories.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ryan_Flood wrote: »
    Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your support.

I am going to add a fibre supplement to my weight loss regimen, and I find myself wondering which is best to use.

Considering these supplements come with a caloric value, I want to be sure that if I'm spending an allotment of my daily caloric intake to this, I am choosing wisely!

Your pal,

Floody

Metamucil unflavored (it still has an orange taste to it), add it to shakes it's great for you in general! Just google "health benefits of metamucil"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    If there's a "regularity" goal under the covers here, also note that adequate hydration snd fats (the latter often short-changed by dieters) are important. For some people, exercise that moves the midsection and/or probiotics (ideally from foods like live-culture yogurt, kefir, raw sauerkraut/kim chi, miso, etc.) can be helpful.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of getting it from food. Should not be that hard. Great sources are beans/lentils, veg, some fruits, whole grains.

I tend to be a believer of this as well. Beans and avocado can go a long way.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nc6nufki8v1cq.png
    Not a supplement but it has a great amount of fiber. Only 180 cals.