Seniors losing weight: support and motivation

Options
2»

Replies

• sandrakarinab
    sandrakarinab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

One more comment about the sugarless gum. This may be TMI, but it's reality, and we're all here to help each other. Sugarless gum upsets some people's stomachs, meaning it can give you gas if you chew more than a few sticks. Often, sorbitol is an ingredient, which is also an ingredient in laxatives.

https://solvingtheibspuzzle.com/chewing-gum-and-gas/

In addition to decaf coffee and tea, if I'm really hungry and have the calories, a cup of soup, like low-sodium vegetable, is very filling -- only about 100 calories. I like Amy's brand soups.

Thanks for the warning on the sorbitol. It IS an ingredient of the gum I just bought.
    Yes, the soup is a good option. I should use it more often.
    Going to the shops has kicked me into action. Home now and about to tackle my lawns. Thanks everyone.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Sandra, I totally get the lazy comment. :) I can be extremely lazy. :( I'll look at something such as cleaning the bathtub, and procrastinate for days about it. I've got to repaint my bedroom, going on years that it's needed it. :/ I've always told myself I work better under pressure, like when I know I need to have something accomplished. Company coming for Christmas week? My house gets a pretty good cleaning then. :) I always figured why do today what I can put off til tomorrow. :)
    BUT being healthy isn't something I can keep putting off now. :( I did that during my 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Now I'm 66, my test numbers were changing, BP rising, huffing going upstairs. All those images of heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, etc., are much more real to me now and I want to do everything within my power to avoid or at least put them off for as long as I can. Everything I'd tried to change during my life(yo-yoing through diet after diet only to gain it all back and more)caught up with me. So, now I have a choice. I can run the risk of all those nasty diseases by just eating the junk I was used to or I can take better care of my body and hope it lasts me much longer.

I wish you the very best of luck!!! Friend me if you'd like!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I am 68. I went on this journey tow years ago and lost 60 lbs with the help of nutrisystem. While it works its not good from as I love real food and sweets. So little by little I have gainThe surgery and recovery went very well as I was walking and had the weight loss. Now after putting it back on my knee is somewhat cranky and the other knee is now going. After the loss I began to think I wouldn't even need the replacement. My last checkup, my bw came in normal range however my blood pressure is higher almost to the point of needing medication. So I too will once again begin my journey. I plan to eat real food this time and learn portion control which will be difficult for me. Also whenever i sit down, which is often lately I grab a snack, lollipop, chips, cookies anything sweet . So I will ned to remove it from the house. I think I grab snack because they are easy...just open the bag. So I will have to prepare something now. I like lots of foods and I think my best option is to prepare them, freeze n heat, or just learn to portion it out whenThursday I will cook and I will eat but I won't overdo. I hope. I have found in the past it was helpful to log each day as it made me feel more accountable.
  • sandrakarinab
    sandrakarinab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    ........ So I will have to prepare something now. I like lots of foods and I think my best option is to prepare them, freeze n heat, or just learn to portion it out whenThursday I will cook and I will eat but I won't overdo. I hope. I have found in the past it was helpful to log each day as it made me feel more accountable.

Well, you certainly know HOW to do it, good luck with applying it.

Personally I struggled more when I tried the mindset that these lifestyle changes should be for the rest of my life. If I tell myself I can have that pizza or Tim tam or affogato after I’ve reached my goal, I have more of a chance getting there. I too managed to lose a fair bit (20kg down to top end of healthy weight) on a couple of occasions over the past 35 years. The fact that the kg crept back on is a seperate problem to be thought of now, but tackled later. Putting the 2 together is ideal, but too big a chunk for me to swallow.

Each day is different for me. I thought I’d lose it yesterday so headed to the “community” for a crutch. People supported me and I succeeded to get through the day with only 3 cals over! That has ramped up my self motivation and am back to a good mindset. Also......this morning my scales say I have reached my next 5kg goal! Time for a clothes shopping trip 😀
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Here is an accountability group you will enjoy in this journey. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/134776-ultimate-accountability-challenge-december-2019