Self-identity

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    RevGym2 wrote: »
    Most people find their identity when looking in a mirror and most are not happy with what they see. What they should see his reflection of me. That will give them a true identity, being the best they can be, being like me.

giphy.gif
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself as anything specific, but the people who know me would probably put me into different categories depending on why/how they know me. For example the people at the gym would thing that it was a huge part of my identity. People at work know little about my fitness world. People in my personal life don't necessarily realize how hard of a worker I am or how professional I have to be.
    I consider myself as eclectic. I love many things. I am many things. Physical activity is very important, but not # 1 on my priority list
  • LiftingSpirits
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    RevGym2 wrote: »
    Most people find their identity when looking in a mirror and most are not happy with what they see. What they should see his reflection of me. That will give them a true identity, being the best they can be, being like me.

I've been standing outside your window watching you sleep for the last 3 nights. I'm hoping that soon I, too, will be my best self. You.

Dang, I was hoping to be the one to wear his skin
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I identify as a dad and a husband. I enjoy regular exercise...particularly cycling, hiking, walking, and rock climbing...but those are my hobbies, they are not my identity. I just like being outdoors and being active.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I identify as a dad and a husband. I enjoy regular exercise...particularly cycling, hiking, walking, and rock climbing...but those are my hobbies, they are not my identity. I just like being outdoors and being active.

But isn't that part of who you are...the things you enjoy/do?

I enjoy books...part of who I am? I enjoy eating hot wings? It's me the quirky wing eating bookworm...
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

But isn't that part of who you are...the things you enjoy/do?

I enjoy books...part of who I am? I enjoy eating hot wings? It's me the quirky wing eating bookworm...

That's part of what I think is interesting about all this...

We all wear a variety of hats. Parent, sibling, child, employee, cyclist, weight lifter, bookworm whatever whatever whatever. How do some of those become part of how we identify while others don't?
  • LiftingSpirits
    Options
    I think if you are cross fitting vegan it's definitely your identity 😏
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’ve worked in 3 bicycle stores. It did leave me a bit jaded at some points I respects to cycling. When it becomes worn your attitude starts to change. It’s what most people know me for, and it’s something I keep coming back to. I am Bike Man. It’s pretentious AF but it is a lifestyle and a culture. It’s deeply ingrained into my psyche.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm curious... How much of your identity is tied to your health/fitness?

When I stopped racing a few years ago, I struggled losing that part of myself... both with the loss of goal/direction, but also with the loss of belonging/group. It was the manner in which I could fairly easily measure myself, compare myself to others, and feel reasonably good about myself. Losing that was hard. Is still hard.

Do other people identify as a runner, lifter, as being passionate about fitness, etc etc etc?

I know... too serious for chit chat, but...

I identify more with being an uber private person vs how our neighbours deem me and my sister, from our outdoor activities as "bad *kitten*, ninjas, fit, workout fanatics, the hula girls, the runners, the swimmers, ..." We choose to not buckle to how they comfortably compartmentalise and label our activities, where we're simply living our chosen therapy - our preference for an effective wind-down to their preferred glass of wine or a beer over a quick grill or barbie. We don't label their forms of therapy, which they've done for themselves eg wine-ohs, keggers.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm curious... How much of your identity is tied to your health/fitness?
    When I stopped racing a few years ago, I struggled losing that part of myself... both with the loss of goal/direction, but also with the loss of belonging/group. It was the manner in which I could fairly easily measure myself, compare myself to others, and feel reasonably good about myself. Losing that was hard. Is still hard.

Do other people identify as a runner, lifter, as being passionate about fitness, etc etc etc?

I know... too serious for chit chat, but...

A very good question. Your perspective is different, because I never competed in sports (short races don't count). Sports were recreational activities for me.

To me, the way I eat or train is (defined by) the way I am. Being consistent, being disciplined (or not), believing in myself (or failing to), setting goals and achieving them, finding balance... are what I want to be like. On one hand, in order to keep myself in shape, to stay healthy or to look decent. But on the other, the same applies at my job and relates to my carrier. These aspects also influence my relationship with my family and friends.

So what defined you when you competed (team spirit, going beyond limits, working hard to achieve a goal) would define you in your daily activities now and in all that you set your mind to. You just have to channel the energy that you put in when training into other activities that fill your life with meaning. You are the same person who competed. :flowerforyou:
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I think if you are cross fitting vegan it's definitely your identity 😏

Let me tell you ALL about it ?

Which would you like to hear about first?

It's okay, let me know.... I have until Monday morning to discuss.

• DecreasingDuchess
    DecreasingDuchess Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    By choice, they're {weight riddance & exercise} the most imperative parts of my life but my disability's {Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/CFS} my identity because it's severe enough, that I revolve around it instead of it revolving around me.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I am Bike Man. It’s pretentious AF but it is a lifestyle and a culture. It’s deeply ingrained into my psyche.

Ha. There's a lot of truth here.

Yeah... hour after hour after hour in the saddle, dodging Volvos, can create a different kind of persona, that's for sure.
  • jcrav77
    jcrav77 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Nurse and mother here. Other than those two things I have no idea who I am.
  • TheMattyExperiment
    TheMattyExperiment Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Lifting and identity were synonymous before. Now it’s more of something I just do versus who I am. Though I get mighty cranky when I miss a scheduled sesh.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Nap loving wing eating trail running kind hearted soft spoken human person.

Damn fine kind of human person!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I'm a shodan. That's pretty well enmeshed with karate, which is fitness too