Is it good that I've gained weight when I'm eating in a deficit?

Options
happybird1217
happybird1217 Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Background: So I'm an 18 year old female 5'11. Throughout my teenager years I've tried to diet, but it only resulted in me gaining the weight and ending up heavier than I started. In June of 2018 at 214 pounds I decided I was done. Within 13 months (July 2019) I had lost 50 pounds and weighed 164 pounds. I was so incredibly proud, but I didn't have a flat stomach. I still had "love handles" and "a belly" and wanted to get down to 150 pounds.

However, I found that by the next week, I had already started gaining and realized my period was late. Since then, I've gained about 10 pounds (I'm 174 now). The alarming thing is that I've still been eating 1400 calories or less almost every day (besides one diet break). I've tried everything, from weight lifting to intermittent fasting to diet breaks (1900 calories a day for one week), but nothing was stopping me from gaining weight.

But today I realized that I'm getting my period (haven't had one in 6 months). I'm scared that if I go to a nutritionist, they will tell me that I'm overweight now. Should I be happy that I've gained? I feel so bloated and I'm not "skinny" anymore. Now that I'll have my period, will it be easier to lose weight because I won't be in "starvation mode" anymore? Sorry if this was confusing or hard to follow.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,704 Member
    Options
    Endorsing "see your doctor". You period shouldn't stop for 6 months. If it did, it would be somewhat expected that you'd gain scale weight, but it wouldn't likely be fat (could be various things, water weight or endometrial tissue as a couple of possibilities). Period stopping for 6 months, followed by weight gain not explained by carefully-logged eating that was previously causing loss, is not normal.

Don't panic, though. There are a number of pretty routine things that could cause those symptoms, and that are the likely reasons; but get to the doctor soon, because there are some more rare and scary possibilities as well.

After you get things sorted, it would be a good idea to see a registered dietitian, if you need help figuring out a well-rounded way of eating that has appropriate calories for your goals. Not a nutritionist. (In some places, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. A registered dietitian is a professional, with college degree(s) in the subject. They will not judge you. They help people who are overweight, not criticize them.)
  • happybird1217
    happybird1217 Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    thank you!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Hooliekom wrote: »
    First off... You can gain weight in a deficit...

And last, don't stress over being skinny... Not that it may matter but most guys appreciate a woman that looks a little soft... Not like a gaunt super model 😂

Follow Stephanie Buttermore, honestly I think she looks hotter now then she did when she was crazy lean

Please explain how (other than retaining water, which is not actual 'gain') one can gain weight whilst eating in a deficit?

And no, it doesn't matter... and I can't put it any other way than to say that opinions on 'hotness' aren't exactly appropriate in this context...

You just answered your own question... Water, which is "weight" gain and will affect the number on the scale for several days after... Not to mention undigested matter which you can basically consider water, or at least weight that you will gain despite your deficit...

And for your second point... 🙄
    Relax crusader... I'm sure you're smart enough to see the point I was making... Thankfully no one has to live according to what you deem appropriate