Diet Soda

Options
So i've been doing some research today on diet soda... if you are a diet soda drinker, do yourself a favor and google study on diet soda... the results are shocking! DONT DRINK IT!

Replies

• Bluestar083
    Options
    I noticed (when I drank 1 can a day of diet coke or diet lemonaid) I was hungrier after that if I hadn't had it.
    Now I have low joule cordial (made with 80% water, 20% cordial) some days and it makes a huge difference.
    Only have diet soft drinks (soda) at parties now,
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I can't have artificial sweeteners since they are a headache inducer for me (doctor's orders).

The way I look at it is if fake sugar is not okay for pregnant women, how is it okay for the rest of us?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I love diet Soda and I will never give it up, nothing you can find except inconclusive studies.
  • cmbradfield
    Options
    I rarely drink diet soda anymore. The aspartame gave me horrible migraines.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of diet soda!
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    Not saying diet soda is a perfect choice, but there are tons of " false-hoods" going around in regard to artificial sweeteners

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You can find studies to prove anything. I'm gunna keep drinking my diet soda.
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I like the crispness of a diet soda- REALLY any carbonated beverage - - that is why I buy the la croix water and add my water flavoring by mio- Still no calorie and amazing flavor- it calms the "hunger" for that bubbly ya know- I haven't had more than maybe 4 diet sodas in the last say- 3 months, maybe longer-
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a coke zero every now and then..not everyday but 1-2 a week. I know about the studies but I will still drink them haha
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Obviously not the best thing to drink, but not the worst either. I balance my occasional diet sodas with my daily gallon of filtered water habit. To each their own.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Again, same thing with the Mio. If you are comfortable having added chemicals in your diet and things made in a lab than keep drinking it. You can buy seltzer water and add slices of fruit for flavor or buy the low calorie sodas are sweetened with a splash of fruit juice. There are many refreshing options out there that are good for you.

Here's the information on Mio, from their Facebook page:

MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.

Propylene glycol is a common additive found in many products, such as frostings, candies, baked goods, and frozen desserts. It is considered by the FDA to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in foods. Propylene glycol is a component of the flavor in MiO Liquid Water Enhancer and helps to distribute the flavor evenly throughout the product.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I took chemistry class and I know what artificial sweeteners are... HOWEVER nobody knows exactly how your body handles them.. I will continue to drink my diet soda until they prove otherwise :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Just say NO to the diet soda (or POP, as we call it up north ;)

We are a nation of chemical abuse...........it's in so MANY things we ingest. Why? God made lots of good, healthy, great things for us to eat and drink - why do we have to tamper with everything and make it BAD for us?

If it says "diet" on it, I ain't goin' there!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a coke zero every now and then

mmm, Coke Zero . . .
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I do drink diet coke and to be honest I know that it's not full of good things but then neither is my deodorant, my hair gel, hair dye, make-up, soap, shower gel or perfume.. they all enter my body.
    Unless you live a 100% organice life and that includes soap powders, car you drive, how you clean your home, clothing you wear and even the sofa you sit on then a diet drink isn't worth crying over if you're happy to drink it.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I started a nutrition for weightloss class last January and the first thing they advised was stopping diet pop (I had been a diet pepsi drinker for years and years, only stopped twice while pregnant). I didn't like giving it up, but I haven't had a diet pop since. One big benefit to stopping all artificial sweeteners for me was that my food cravings have mostly stopped. I used to crave carbs mid-morning and also late afternoon .... my nutritionist says it is because of our bodies have an insulin response to the 'fake sugar' and then having no real sugar to consume causes the sugar/carb cravings. I don't know the studies behind it - but stopping my morning diet pepsi has really helped me get my eating under control.
  • Pulse1
    Pulse1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try Zevia Sodas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zevia_Cola).

They're made using Stevia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia) so it's natural and still 0 cals (but each can has 7 carbs).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    So i've been doing some research today on diet soda... if you are a diet soda drinker, do yourself a favor and google study on diet soda... the results are shocking! DONT DRINK IT!
    Been drinking it for over 20 years with no issue. For some it's taboo.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable having added chemicals in your diet and things made in a lab than keep drinking it.

I'm quite fond of chemicals and things made in labs. Like Penicillin. Vicodin. Claritin. Xanax. Even my contact lenses!
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am not giving up my diet coke. It didn't make me fat! I gave up a lot of unhealthy habits and if this is the only one I keep then I am still doing good!