There is NO SUCH THING as "a word in edgewise"

Options
124»

Replies

• SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm totally guilty of the "anywho" one.

And I have to de-contract "it's and its" to remember if I need the apostrophe or not.

And I make up words when it suits me or when no other word seems to cover what I'm trying to say and if anyone argues that it's not a real word -- I respond "Well -- it should be".

And I know 99% of you would be super annoyed to have a conversation with me lol

:flowerforyou:
    SommerJo
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    OH! My boss combines "flustered" and "frustrated" and says "flusterated". Says it 3 or 4 times a day, drives me NUTS! LOL

Hilarious...someone at work JUST told me a few minutes ago that she's "flustrated"
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

It may be a "real word", but its grammatically incorrect to use it. The “irr” negates the “less”, which technically changes the meaning to “with regard”.

Plus, people sound completely uneducated when they use it.

same as flamable and inflamable. sound like opposites, mean the same thing.

as for the edgeways v edgewise UK v America debate. i think this only came about because to many americans were getting it wrong so rather than educate they just made it correct. (im talking many moons ago, you cant blame the people of today for using it)

you realise that you speak "English" from "England" right? if they say thats how it is, then thats how it is.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

you realise that you speak "English" from "England" right? if they say thats how it is, then thats how it is.

Nope....we speak "American English", ever since July 4, 1776 :laugh:
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here's another one, people not knowing the difference between lending and borrowing. "Can I lend a pen?", "Er sure... but I don't really need one." Haha, man, I'm a pedantic tool sometimes.

Along the same lines as this, I really hate people that use 'itch' when they mean 'scratch'. As in, 'I really need to itch my foot'.
  • mariposa222
    mariposa222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Confusing "sell" and "sale" drives me over the edge. As in, "I'm having a yard sell" or "I'm going to sale my old gold for cash." Grrr!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    and the only reason "american english" was created was because no one in america could get proper english correct, so rather than learning it, they decided "ok, this is now our english, and its correct for us, so nerr" *

*may not be an accurate reenactement of actual historical events.

:D
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Irregardless:

"Webster’s New International Dictionary (2nd. Ed. Unabridged, 1934) described the word as an erroneous or humorous form of regardless, and attributed it to the United States. It should also be noted that the definition in most dictionaries is simply listed as regardless (along with the note nonstandard, or similar). Merriam–Webster even states "Use regardless instead.""

I looked it up.
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Since we are all venting....

People who use pedantic corrections of spelling to score points on forum posts. GGGGRRRrrrrr!

(Obviously I do not mean in this thread)
  • ItsMeTime
    Options
    "For all intensive purposes" bugs the **** out of me. It's "for all intents AND purposes" I know people say it quickly and it may sound like the former, but read a book would you!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    and the only reason "american english" was created was because no one in america could get proper english correct, so rather than learning it, they decided "ok, this is now our english, and its correct for us, so nerr" *

*may not be an accurate reenactement of actual historical events.

:D

Definitely historically questionable, but it made me laugh anyway! There's a lot of butchering of the English language going on out there for sure...as this thread shows!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm an English teacher, and I die a little bit inside every time a someone does all of these things you have all mentioned. It makes my teeny, tiny, black little heart weep. *Sad Face*

Oh, and don't even get me started on putting text/social networking phrases/short cuts into formal essays. I do not care if it's IMHO and no, I won't LOL. So why don't you just STFU? ha ha ha. Sorry. I couldn't resist the last one!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    When I lived in a certain midwestern state, I was driven to distraction by the sheer volume of people who "borrow" things to other people.

No, idiot, you LEND things to people. You BORROW things FROM people.

I also get a little annoyed with the whole "I could/couldn't care less"... if you could care less, you must care a lot.
    And, it's vs its. If it started life as two words, "it is", stick an apostrophe in it. If it is possessive, i.e., "it lost its way", then don't.

Thanks!
  • BrianTheNegotiator
    Options

It's a peeve of mine when people say "In real life". I mean, in person makes sense, but conversing on the internet counts as fake life?
    Okay, guess I should have said "In 3D", but I didn't want to make myself sound like the latest CGI film release, your know?
    It's "you know?", not "your know?". You've fallen afoul of Dorian's Law: The more pedantic a person is, the greater their chance of making a mistake in a post. Congrats! ;)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Think that was more of a mistype, but thanks!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm an English teacher, and I die a little bit inside every time a someone does all of these things you have all mentioned. It makes my teeny, tiny, black little heart weep. *Sad Face*

Oh, and don't even get me started on putting text/social networking phrases/short cuts into formal essays. I do not care if it's IMHO and no, I won't LOL. So why don't you just STFU? ha ha ha. Sorry. I couldn't resist the last one!

Please. I beg of you. You teach our youth. Fail the little *kitten* every time they do that. Fail them, call their parents, put them on speaker and tell them they've failed as parents in front of the entire class. You're our last hope!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options

Here's another one, people not knowing the difference between lending and borrowing. "Can I lend a pen?", "Er sure... but I don't really need one." Haha, man, I'm a pedantic tool sometimes.

Oooooh I HATE this with a passion!

"Can I lend your book?"

"NO! I can LEND it to you and you can BORROW it but you can't lend it because IT'S NOT YOURS!"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

And there's a Green Giant advert on TV that drives me nuts - it ends with "Makes Mums feel 10 FOOT TALL!" No it doesn't - a foot is singular - 10 of them would be FEET!