Runners, music or no music?

Options
I started c25k this spring/summer and through all my training runs I listened to music. It wasn't until the week before my 5k, when I ran with a friend for the first time, that I tried it without music. I also ran my 5k without music as I wanted to take everything in. I noticed that without music I was more in tuned to my bodies rhythm and I felt breathing was easier. Now that I'm back training for another race I've been listening to music and noticing that the tempo and beats of the songs sort of knock my breathing out of whack. So I'm considering giving up the music, at least some of the time. So runners, do you listen to music on your runs or go with out? I'm curious to hear what you all have to say.

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've been running without music for the last month or so after I forgot my mp3 player once, I see the pros and cons. Music keeps your mind on something else and can help pass time, but the wrong music can throw off your tempo (maybe too fast!). Give it a try, if it works for you go for it.
    Some races have no headphone policies, so it wouldn't hurt to get used to that if you ever run one.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    with always..but now I want to try it with out..
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am tending to agree with you...I started out with music and now, I rarely run with it. I, too, am more in tune to my body without the added distraction. Not to say, I'll never run without music again, I imagine I will have it with me all the time when it gets cold to take my mind off the cold.

Congratulations on your 1st 5K!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I can't run without music. I do think that the type of music dictates my breathing and stride though but I just can't run without it. I dont have any motivation.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    When I first started doing races I would listen to music. Now I'm a no music girl. I enjoy the sounds around me and the me time.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I always wore headphones while running outside till I heard about a tradegy so I dont wear those, when I am running i have my Iphone on an arm band and the music playing at low volume so really only I can hear it, when I did my 5k race last year I did it with no music.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    gotta have music when I run. I hate that I can't when I race :mad:

I don't listen to music when hiking though
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Anyone have good CDs or playlist to run to?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Trail running - NEVER
    Road running - usually, unless I need to be listening for traffic
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Without. I run on a trail and would rather hear the birds chirping. Also, I need to be able to hear cyclists and/or rapists coming up behind me so I don't get run over/raped.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    music, however I can go without when I ran cross we weren't allow to in races so i didn't practice with it. races make me focus hard on doing my best. otherwise on my normal run down the road i listen to music or else hear people bickering lol
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    With, definitely with.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, but don't necessarily concentrate on it for most of my run. I spend more time paying attention to my form and breathing in relation to my steps (i.e. always taking my breath in and out on my right foot, not landing on my heels, etc) then I do to the music. Sometimes, though, a song I particularly like comes on and it puts a bit more spring in my step and helps up my pace (especially near the end of my run - I always try to program my playlist so some of my favorite running songs come on last to get me to the end).

When I'm running with a buddy, I don't listen to music. Generally, we talk, though. lol
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I always wore headphones while running outside till I heard about a tradegy so I dont wear those, when I am running i have my Iphone on an arm band and the music playing at low volume so really only I can hear it, when I did my 5k race last year I did it with no music.

Me too.. I just play music low on my iPhone because I think it's dangerous to wear headphones.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Definitely no music for races. But other times its about half and half. Depends on where I am running, how long, what type of training - like long slow run or tempo run or intervals. And mood plays a big part of it. Some days I feel I need the music and others I don't. I see the benefits of both.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    C25K - listened to music. Now I don't.

Partly because of the safety issues in the middle of London. Partly because I prefer taking in the surroundings rather than being in my own world during a run. Partly because I only listen to classical music and it varies too much in tempo and mood within one piece to be suitable for running. Partly because I don't like headphones in my ears when I run. Partly because I found that I don't actually listen to the music when I run. I won't even know what came up on shuffle by the end of it.

I don't get bored without music, even when I'm doing a 2+ hour run.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Without.

I don't have an ipod only the old cassette walkman and a disc walkman. I don't want to carry those when I'm running. I've been thinking about getting an ipod specifically for when I run.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I kind of do a hybrid
    I'm a big bike rider, but it freaks me out to have earbuds in because cars creep up and I never hear them
    SO...My Android Phone has a great onboard speaker, so I just strap it to my arm play it out loud.
    Even at half volume, I hear it fine and I can clearly hear approaching cars, or just listen to the sounds of nature around me
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Used to never listen to music. But I have been going through an extremely stressful period in my life and I was not getting the stress release from running. In fact I would start thinking and start hyperventilating. So a friend suggested cranking my music. Since I started that I have logged some great runs...in fact I ran 4 mies last week with an average 7'22"...I have never done that that I know of. I think it had a lot to do with the music and the beat. So now I listen.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I started C25K using one of the podcasts and my iPod. Then some more experienced runners warned me of the dangers of headphones (not being aware of traffic or, in the case of races, other runners) so I stopped using them.

I run about 20 miles a week now, usually outside, and I never listen to music.