Fall Group to finish the year strong! Who is with me?

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello Finish Strong Team.

I hope everyone had a positive week. Mine was filled with some food challenges. Our work Thanksgiving luncheon was on Thursday. My plate was filled with mostly vegetarian choices, but when I rolled by the desert table all bets were off. The director of HR makes the best flan and I could not resist. I did take some samples of other deserts. I tasted one and wasn't thrilled so tossed it in the garbage. My old self would have eaten it. Progress in baby steps.

I normally take photos of the food I am getting ready to eat when unable to record but had forgotten my phone. Could not even begin to log what I ate so I dumped in 2000 calories for my lunch. The rest of the day and into the next morning I felt like a slug. It was a great reminder of how much better I feel when I am eating balanced meals.

Does anyone track MFP's projected if every day was like today? If I ate the same way I did this past Thursday I would be back to where I was back in the beginning of October - what a reality check!

Stats
    SW: 195.0 - 08/24/19
    CW: 167.2 - 11/24/19

Weight loss has slowed which I predicted. I am still happy with the progress. I am making with healthier choices and tracking of my intake. I need to get back to the exercise schedule. The time change threw me off and I am still trying to get back on track. Yes, I know it was almost a month ago but it derailed my sleeping pattern.

I am not thrilled Thanksgiving falls the day before November's final weigh in. Especially since the friends decided we will have a travelling meal. Three homes are hosting (all live in same condo development) and festivities begin at 6:00 pm which I think is a little late for the type of meal planned. I am imagining pie will be served around 10:00 pm or so. Imagine 15 adults drinking wine and catching up while moving from one condo to the next (appetizers, meal, desert). TG the development is one block away from Las Olas in Fort La-de-da. I am still formulating my game plan. I think power walks on Las Olas between condos will be in order.

Enough from me. I hope everyone is staying the course and meeting their challenges with grace and patience.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Argh, the past 2 days were a huge backslide to my old ways so I'm not stepping on a scale for at least week. Stress over hosting yesterday's potluck dinner made me weak. :( BUT back to it today!! I WILL get my exercise in because it seems if I do that, I feel more inclined to eat healthier as well.
    I'm crossing my fingers that I don't allow myself mindless bingeing on Thanksgiving too. :(
  • Pepred
    Pepred Posts: 6 Member
    Joining today with enough time to reach my goal 🤗
    Weight: 165lbs
    Goal by 12/31/19: 158lbs
    Favorite Calorie Burning Activity: boot camp
    Biggest Challenge to meeting your Goals: inconsistency with exercising, eating late
    A Guilty Pleasure: take out, watching a movie
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Hi everyone!

Well, weight is up again this week. I was looking to maintain and previously hadn't been eating exercise calories back so I set my goal at .5lbs a week and started eating back 300-500 exercise calories. My weight is up this week so I'm going to have to crack down. I did eat out yesterday and 3 other times this last week plus ate at my parent's for 2 dinners so calories could've been higher than I estimated.

@SuziQ113 I don't buy the "in 5 weeks", you'd have to eat and exercise exactly the same every day for 5 weeks, plus the calories involved would have to be spot-on. I wish I'd lost as fast as it says! I know for sure I'm not burning as many calories as it says for exercise. Good luck getting back to exercising, it's hard to get started again after a slump!
  • SuziQ113
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Well, weight is up again this week. I was looking to maintain and previously hadn't been eating exercise calories back so I set my goal at .5lbs a week and started eating back 300-500 exercise calories. My weight is up this week so I'm going to have to crack down. I did eat out yesterday and 3 other times this last week plus ate at my parent's for 2 dinners so calories could've been higher than I estimated.

@SuziQ113 I don't buy the "in 5 weeks", you'd have to eat and exercise exactly the same every day for 5 weeks, plus the calories involved would have to be spot-on. I wish I'd lost as fast as it says! I know for sure I'm not burning as many calories as it says for exercise. Good luck getting back to exercising, it's hard to get started again after a slump!

Hi!

I do not believe the everyday for 5 weeks entirely - it's just something I track. I have hit the weight goal several times. I just find it interesting and a little bit of a reality check (like my eating 2000 calories for the pot luck) of what would happen if I went back to my usual habits.

Finding the right balance for maintenance can be tough. I read on one of the boards there is a way to set your calorie goal for maintenance on MFP.

I usually take pictures of my plate when away from home. It helps me estimate caloric intake a little better. Eating out is always a challenge. The restaurants load up everything with lots of salt and fat so you may be experiencing water gain.

You're doing great and I am sure you will find your maintenance balance!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,243 Member
    Wow is best how well everyone is doing and setting such get goals even if you put some on you can always reassess and get back on track, great everyone!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate! Enjoy the day, the friends and family, and the food!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    I’m late to join so my goal won’t be that much...but here I am. Getting dressed this morning I was just horrified. I have a birthday in January and there’s no way this is how I want to start another year.

Weight: 144
    Goal by 12/31/19: 138
    Favorite Calorie Burning Activity: walking, vinyasa yoga
    Biggest Challenge to meeting your Goals: I love food so freaking much!
    A Guilty Pleasure: cheesy pasta...any kind
  • WobblyPickle
    WobblyPickle Posts: 16 Member
    Soooooo with you on this. Luckily in UK so only one holiday period to get through (Happy Thanksgiving by the way!). I’ve really been going sideways this whole year - up and down but broadly flat. Determined to finish strong....hence back on MFP with a vengeance!

Weight: 152
    Goal by 12/31/19: 147
    Favorite Calorie Burning Activity: running! Really got my mojo for it back this year
    Biggest Challenge to meeting your Goals: drink .... followed by binge eating
    A Guilty Pleasure: slimming world hi fi bars
  • WobblyPickle
    WobblyPickle Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2019
    Goal by 12/31/19:145
    Favorite Calorie Burning Activity: elliptical
    Biggest Challenge to meeting your Goals: alcohol
    A Guilty Pleasure: binge eating
    Goal by 12/31/19:145
    Favorite Calorie Burning Activity: elliptical
    Biggest Challenge to meeting your Goals: alcohol
    A Guilty Pleasure: binge eating
    Hi Lazycrow! We have same weight / goal and binge eating habit! How’s your year-finish-push going?
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    I’m up a pound. Going to have a butt kicking December!
  • SuziQ113
    Hello Finish Strong Team.

Ah, the holiday season. It's one filled with road blocks and challenges. It can also be a time for some to be filled with joy and others with despair. I guess I fall somewhere in between the two extremes. The past week has been filled with ups and downs. Overall I am OK. I am grateful for every day regardless of its challenges.

Stats
    • SW 08/24/19 - 195.0
    • EW 10/31/19 - 171.6
    • EW 11/30/19 - 166.4
    • WL Nov'19 = 5.2 pounds

Even though my weight loss goal for November was 6 pounds I am feeling positive with a 5.2 pound loss. It's not too shabby and along the healthy guidelines for someone at my weight.

My weight loss goal for December is to shed an additional 6 pounds. It will put me in range to meet my weight goal in January which will be a great way to start the year. I am also going to work on my exercise program which was a little relaxed during the month of November. I think the lack of regular exercise effected my mood.

It's my hope everyone is remaining positive and are setting themselves up for a great December. Remember it is the baby steps that count! Extreme goals can set most up for failure so be sure to chip away at your goals, be reflective of what is going well, and incorporate those practices in to your day.
  • ReenieHJ
    Wow SuziQ, you're doing great!!
    And you offer wonderful advice. :)
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Fab job everyone! Keep going!
    Not long now til the end of the year.
    We can do this!!!
    😁💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼
  • SuziQ113
    Hello Finish Strong Team!

It's hard to believe we are in the second week of December! The time is flying by and many are stressed to the max. I do believe most of it is self-imposed. I was out and about yesterday for a new do and some light shopping. My clothes are starting to look clownish; they are so big. Since I have not met goal yet I do not want to spend a ton of money. The look forward is.....new year; new wardrobe.

I digress. This is the season of joy! I simply could not believe how rude everyone was on the road and in the stores. There were not a ton of smiles to be seen. Even attempting to have conversations with those in line resulted in dead stares and minimum contact. I know this can be attributed to many things, but it's a shame we are becoming a cloistered society where real human contact is secondary to tech touches. We think the tech is making it easier for us, but with all of the pop ups, social media, marketing, etc. it's my thought we are being brainwashed in to thinking we must have all and be all. OK, off of the soap box now.

Stats
    SW 08/24/19 - 195.0
    EW 10/31/19 - 171.6
    EW 11/30/19 - 166.4
    EW 12/08/19 - 165.0 - I am at 75% of goal!!!! Yeah me!

Those office treats keep calling me and it is becoming harder to avoid them. Today I am planning out my meals and making sure I bring in my own treats. I feel so much better eating what I bring in versus tasting this and that. I am trying really hard to stop looking at the holidays as food events. It's a lifetime habit and one that will take some time to change.

I am trying to figure out a baking strategy. I love to bake and bring treats in to the office; especially around the holidays. But I also love tasting everything. I do not want to not bake but then again......It's my thought I will bake the weekend of the 21st and pack everything up for delivery to the office and friends. Or, maybe not. LOL.....still toying/planning this out. Oh, I love cookie batter!

I hope everyone is staying strong and meeting their goals.
  • ReenieHJ
    SuziQ, so much truth in your post. And it's really sad when you think about it. Social media, how did it replace real life connections so much? And don't even get me started on the fact so many young children are now getting so addicted to it. :( Having run a dc forever and seeing 6-8 yo kids have iphones, etc., made me cringe. Or knowing a family put on a movie in the back seat of their drive here which was all of 5, 10 minutes? What happened to good old fashioned communication? Ah well.....this all coming from an old woman who still uses the same flip phone she bought 12 years ago. :/ lol
    Anyways, so glad you revived this post; there was another similar to it that I hopped onto and it must've gotten buried. Fastest darn moving forum I've ever been a member of. :)

I weighed myself 5 times this a.m. one right after another(?) and came up with 4 different readings. :/ So I used the 2 that matched up. My goal is 135 and I'm at 136. Last week I was at 137.5. I truly think my scale is off.
  • SuziQ113
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    SuziQ, so much truth in your post. And it's really sad when you think about it. Social media, how did it replace real life connections so much? And don't even get me started on the fact so many young children are now getting so addicted to it. :( Having run a dc forever and seeing 6-8 yo kids have iphones, etc., made me cringe. Or knowing a family put on a movie in the back seat of their drive here which was all of 5, 10 minutes? What happened to good old fashioned communication? Ah well.....this all coming from an old woman who still uses the same flip phone she bought 12 years ago. :/ lol
    Anyways, so glad you revived this post; there was another similar to it that I hopped onto and it must've gotten buried. Fastest darn moving forum I've ever been a member of. :)

I weighed myself 5 times this a.m. one right after another(?) and came up with 4 different readings. :/ So I used the 2 that matched up. My goal is 135 and I'm at 136. Last week I was at 137.5. I truly think my scale is off.

I am "not so young" too and started with my parents telling me you must keep a dime in your pocket (or was it a nickle) so I could make a phone call. :smiley: I do have a very new phone and enjoy the benefits of it such as researching something on the fly and/or being able to let someone know I am running late.

It's not just the "younger than us crowd". I am finding those in my same age group are more aware of their phone than the environment they are in.

When I started my scale was doing the same thing. As one of my rewards I bought a good one, under $20 at Walmartians. It's digital, like my previous one, and I can step on it 100 times and get the same weight. It may be time to retire yours.

Congratulations! You are almost to goal!

If you are looking for a consistent thread full of very supportive women visit the Women 50+ for the month of December, if you're interested. The leader starts a new thread every month and there are many great supportive women from all over the world. We are all from different backgrounds and are in different places with our goals. There are a ton of posts and people jump in and out of the threads but typically post at least weekly.

• ReenieHJ
    Keeping this near the top because it seems to be the one I look for all the time. :)
    Weighed myself this a.m. and was 134.5. It must be because I just didn't feel like eating yesterday.
    My ds wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas so I told him I could probably use a new scale, tho I kinda like the numbers this one is giving me. ;) So we'll see. My fear is a new scale will add more lbs. :(
  • SuziQ113
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Keeping this near the top because it seems to be the one I look for all the time. :)
    Weighed myself this a.m. and was 134.5. It must be because I just didn't feel like eating yesterday.
    My ds wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas so I told him I could probably use a new scale, tho I kinda like the numbers this one is giving me. ;) So we'll see. My fear is a new scale will add more lbs. :(

Hi Reenie - you can always return it - LOL! Hope all is well.