What are YOUR cutting calories?

2»

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    44 yr old female, active, lift 5xweek. 155bs 24-26% bf (guessing), I dunno, I wear a size 4.... Mfp wants me to cut at 1300 but I usually do 1450-1500. Currently maintaining at 2200 but thinking of a bulk maybe? This scale weight is messing with my head but I want muscles...plus I love food
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Nice thread, neat idea OP

33 male, 5’7” 166~lbs and 23%~ bf. I’m slowly recomping. From a high of 28% in the summer at maybe 160-161

I’m not doing anything drastic and I’m seeing results in the 2300 range for my activity level. Not a fan of undereating so 1900~ might be my lowest
  • CarbsAndCompounds
    CarbsAndCompounds Posts: 281 Member
    Female, 21, 5'4 140lbs. I cut on 1800cals
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    5’4”, lightly active, powerlifting training, 34 years old

Don’t know my weight now but I usually cut if I hit 148 lbs and I’ll eat 1500 with 10k steps. I like to have an aggressive two weeks in there around 1300 as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm curious how you guys come up with your numbers compared to using the site calculator.

IE the site tells me to eat 1650 calories to lose 2lbs a week but I can barely make my protein requirements alone on 1650. What does someone use (outside of personal XP) to gauge.

Well - frankly the site tells you to eat 1650 based on YOUR selected non-exercise level - and that would only apply on days with no exercise.
    If you exercise it would be more than that on those days.

If you are using it wrong though, like you have family household duties nights and weekends and therefore are Lightly-Active but you picked Sedentary - then extra deficit.

If you don't log your workouts in order to eat more when you do more - then extra deficit.

If that 2 lbs weekly is more than reasonable - then extra deficit.

Do some combo of those things causing extra deficit - you could be causing some really sucky workouts compared to what you could do.
    And encouraging body to adapt in some negatives ways ruining the whole 2 lbs weekly desire.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Male - 50yrs, 6'1 - lift 4 days a week, cardio 5 days a week, with 2 being HIIT.

Currently @ 225lbs (winter weight). Cut to 205lbs in the spring (12 weeks) takes me to 10-11%Bf - 1800 cal for cutting, eating approx 2/3 earned cals takes me too average of 2400+ cals for cutting. I weigh all my food.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2019
    Oh my god that's cute you guys think 1750 is low. If I were to go on a cut this instant I'd have to be on about 1400 calories. Some calculators are even saying I'd need to go below 1200. :')
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    I hate to bring gender into it but it does apply, generally speaking
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Male- 50yrs, 6'3", 240, 14-16% bf, train 4x week, retired with minimal activity.

I'd hazard 3000-3350 would be my cut range if I logged.

About two years ago I was very active and would eat 6-8k a day on average and barely maintain weight around 225lbs.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    5'5" female 145. gym 5 days a week with a mix of weights and running. cut is between 1500-1700 depending on how agressive I want to be. I have gone lower but my BF was higher at that time.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Geez, I think I’m the shortest one here 😂.

Female, 5’1”, 157 lbs, I hit the weights 3x a week, Spin class 2x and then the remaining days I do calisthenics/cardio. Currently cutting at 1700 cals which seems to be working at the moment. I was recomping for a long time and decided it was time to change it up.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I guess I must be a drastic cutter. I'm 6'-2", age 50, 200 lbs and cut best at 1600 calories per day. I only workout two days per week though and sit at a desk all day. Admittedly, I probably have too many cheat days but found that by shooting for 1600 calories (and not always hitting it) I can lose weight steadily. My strength did take a nosedive on my last cut. I'm super busy and barely get my two workouts in per week and don't get enough sleep.