Squat knee swelling

Options
Hello,

So I had knee surgery when I was 17(33 now) and I got back into working out about a year ago after 5 years off. I slowly started squating on a smith machine with no issues. Well now I'm back to free barbell and im starting to get knee swelling and clicking when I squat. I really want to keep going and become a better squatter but I'm afraid that past injuries are going to hold me back. Any advice? Can I keep going?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is there pain?

Clicking isn't a major issue. Swelling might be. The internet isn't the best place to look for answers on this one. An appointment with a sports ortho doc wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • dpandolfo0928
    dpandolfo0928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No pain, the clicking or popping comes and goes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Firstly, it sounds like you might just need some handling on how to desensitize the area. Finding a movement pattern/weight that your body responds well to. Previously using the smith machine without any signs shows there are options.

If there is a weight you can perform squats that doesn't hurt and/or cause swelling I would start there.

Some other good options is backing off volume, changing variation of squat, frequency, ROM, etc...these are all things that are reasonable to adjust.

I would try any of the above suggestions. If there is any pain that you can't tolerate or swelling continues or worsens, I would start checking down the list until you find something that your body responds well to.

From someone who has swollen knees every time I squat I can assure you it's a natural defense of your immune system but having someone that can fully understand your situation would be ideal to help you along.

The whole idea is to find something that you can perform and things get better progressively over time.

Good luck.

• dpandolfo0928
    dpandolfo0928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I hate to think about taking any steps backwards but that might be something I have to do if I start feeling any pain.

It is also a big confindence boost to know that someone has a similar situation and isnt a detriment to their workout.

Thanks Again
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I hate to think about taking any steps backwards but that might be something I have to do if I start feeling any pain.

It is also a big confindence boost to know that someone has a similar situation and isnt a detriment to their workout.

Thanks Again

When we look at a life time of training, it really isn't a step back.

The only step back I would conclude is actually stopping training if you could in some capacity that would be beneficial.

Good to hear there is no pain. The "clicking" isn't something I would concern myself with necessarily at this point.

To be more clear I would try the following. With the idea that swelling is not increading and lessons over time to where its not a concern.

1. Take some weight off the barbell and perform full range of motion. Since your not experiencing pain, the shortening of range of motion isn't as a important adjustment.
    2. Adjust volume lower if needed. Remember if we lower intensity, that doesn't mean to increase volume just because it feels easier.
    3. Try a different squat with a full range of motion. Move from low bar to high bar or vise versa. Try pin squats. Try front squat. Leg press.
    4. As whatever adjustments are responding well we can move back towards our "parent or main lift" is a reasonable goal.