Officially registered for my first (sprint) Tri!

Westfields in Chantilly, VA, April 2020

Eeek! I just made a huge, giant leap outside of my comfort zone!! Thankfully I have a supportive husband who has full faith in me that I can do this! I am nervous about the newness of it all, unsure of transitions, etiquette, etc.

Goal is to finish. They do have time limits which is a bummer, but maybe that will keep me honest to actually train with purpose. Indoor swim, 250m, 12 mile bike on flat, paved road, and 5k on mostly paved road as well. I have never done a flat ground 5k and came in at 38 minutes on an extremely hilly course when I wasn’t in great shape to begin with so I am hoping I can beat the 40 minute limit on the run. Definitely need to work on the bike to run transition. Hopefully I will be able to shed a few more pounds between now and then, I am only 5lbs shy of their “heavyweight” division... I know that will help my endurance and legs on the run.

Didn’t realize it was on a Sunday until AFTER I registered, what a dork. Then I looked at the schedule and saw that bike check starts at 5:30 - yawn! They are to be cleared out by 10:30, so I likely will still have a chance of making it to part of church, even living an hour away... that is, if I can still walk :D

Already learning something new... and I have read the beginner tri book (blanking on the name, but it’s popular) - now to start putting that info into action!

It’s late, I’m tired. Hopefully that all made sense...

Replies

• MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    You will do awesome! My first sprint was a bit longer than that and If I can survive it anyone can. And I was not at all prepared so you are already that much farther ahead.
    And if you think of the name of the book...we all want to know!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Way to go! It’s an early start for a sprint event, but they’re probably trying to get you off the roads before they get busy. Sounds like a fast, fun event. Check out Women for Tri FB page for lots of info and tips!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Book name: Your First Triathalon by Joe Friel

nmcvvpztivdy.jpeg

Really tempted by the price of Garmin’s on Amazon. I had convinced myself I didn’t want/need a fancy one, but now that I am officially registered it would be a fun tool to have over the next few months and even the day of. Hmmmm... 🤔
  • moonangel12
    I wish I could find someone to do it with me, but I haven’t even found any takers for a local 5k. I think my husband briefly thought about it, for support, but he’s not a big swimmer (can hold his own, but never really learned technique) and his knee isn’t in great shape either (arthritis, minimal meniscus left, and a re-torn ACL/MCL from a college injury).
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member

Really tempted by the price of Garmin’s on Amazon. I had convinced myself I didn’t want/need a fancy one, but now that I am officially registered it would be a fun tool to have over the next few months and even the day of. Hmmmm... 🤔[/quote]

I just got a Fenix 5s Plus. LOVE IT! I cannot imagine training without it. I also considered a Forerunner, but the price on the fenix was unbeatable. I have had a touch screen before and would not go back to a touch screen.
  • moonangel12
    edited November 2019
    MsOpus wrote: »
    I just got a Fenix 5s Plus. LOVE IT! I cannot imagine training without it. I also considered a Forerunner, but the price on the fenix was unbeatable. I have had a touch screen before and would not go back to a touch screen.
    So it’s not just me?? I bought a Vivosomething3 at Walmart for $30 (not sure how or why, everywhere else they are $70!) because my old Fitbit was getting glitchy. It’s ok, but I am not liking the touchscreen and all the extra swipes, taps, and holds I have to do. The Fitbit had a single button to navigate with, then push and hold to start an activity that I would later categorize in the app. Simple and effective.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Heavyweight division - as in Athens or Clydesdale? Don’t assume those are for fat/slow ppl - they are simply acknowledging that higher mass takes more energy to move
  • moonangel12
    Heavyweight division - as in Athens or Clydesdale? Don’t assume those are for fat/slow ppl - they are simply acknowledging that higher mass takes more energy to move

I couldn’t remember the names, nor could I find it again, but that’s the one. I knew it wasn’t necessarily referring to fat/out of shape, but I assumed higher mass = different section for competition (hence the comment that I hope a couple more pounds lost will help my endurance... I have the lung endurance, but it’s normally my ankles that hold me back just from the extra weight I am carrying). I know they tout this as beginner friendly, people of all sizes welcome.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Book name: Your First Triathalon by Joe Friel

nmcvvpztivdy.jpeg

Really tempted by the price of Garmin’s on Amazon. I had convinced myself I didn’t want/need a fancy one, but now that I am officially registered it would be a fun tool to have over the next few months and even the day of. Hmmmm... 🤔

I have a copy of that in my library, it's a great resource. Consider picking up a copy of his Triathlete's Training Bible too.

Warning - triathlon is addictive, if you're considering more triathlons with open water swimming get into the water (lake or river) to train as soon as you can. It's completely different than pool swimming.
  • moonangel12

I have a copy of that in my library, it's a great resource. Consider picking up a copy of his Triathlete's Training Bible too.

Warning - triathlon is addictive, if you're considering more triathlons with open water swimming get into the water (lake or river) to train as soon as you can. It's completely different than pool swimming.

Thanks for the other book rec! I had seen it mentioned but wasn’t sure if it was different enough to warrant buying. I will see if I can find a used copy!

There is an open swim at Lake Anna a couple hours away. That’s what I was wanting to do for my first Tri (mid to late spring, I can’t remember) but the river is already too cold even for a wet suit (at least from what I have read) - 46* water temp when we went a couple weeks ago... I kayaked in waders and medical/latex gloves over my regular ones. So I am going to start with indoor pool for now, and hopefully do some open water swimming this summer at the river - between the kids in kayaks and my husband in his jon boat I will have plenty of spotters and cheerleaders :)

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Congrats on signing up for your first race. Now the fun starts. Just follow your training plan and race day will be a blast!
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2019
    I did TRIs for about 15 yrs. And eventually got pretty good at them (did all distances but got competitive at Olympic distance).

My very first was a sprint.

I remember coming into the run, my girlfriend (now wife) and a small crowd was enthusiastically cheering for *me*. It was about 200 yard out of the start of the run and the whole group was jumping up and down and waving for me and smiling. Plenty of other people around - I just was special.

(I had forgotten to take the bike helmet off and was running with a bike helmet.)

It got better. Have fun.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    I’m so excited for you! Gotta love a nice, flat bike and run path. That’s the best!

I found the swimming to be the most challenging. I took lessons on a technique that allows you to swim more efficiently, but it was much harder in open water with the chop! So I was basically flailing about as per usual and I was exhausted! But it was still loads of fun.

Hopefully you’ll be able to connect with others that are training for this race. Nice to have buddies to train with, practice transitions with, etc. good luck and have fun!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    That's super exciting! I'm impressed that you took the plunge and registered. It's one thing to say the words "Someday I want to sign up for ______" and a whole different beast to realize that you DID IT!!

Get to training! You're going to be great. You'll learn loads from experienced people here and I suspect you'll be more ready than you think :smile:

(All this from someone who says, "Someday I want to sign up for a tri." :blush: )
  • moonangel12
    That's super exciting! I'm impressed that you took the plunge and registered. It's one thing to say the words "Someday I want to sign up for ______" and a whole different beast to realize that you DID IT!!

Get to training! You're going to be great. You'll learn loads from experienced people here and I suspect you'll be more ready than you think :smile:

(All this from someone who says, "Someday I want to sign up for a tri." :blush: )
    It was totally a “someday” thing for me! Always intrigued, but completely intimidated... I only recently learned that they had “sprints” which made it seem 75% more attainable of a goal. I am still nervous! It’s the new and unexpected that gets me, not knowing the etiquette, the transitions, etc. Thankfully we have things like this site and YouTube available!

I have to admit, my husband’s support is what got me to officially take the plunge and register... “you should do it!” “You got this hun!” “Have you registered yet? Why not?” “Prices go up tomorrow? Then do it now!” “I’m so proud of you!”
  • moonangel12
    Reading up on Total Immersion for swimming right now - getting over my mental hurdle in the pool. I used to be on swim team years and years ago so my body has some knowledge of form, but it has been so long I am fearing the unknowns and keep putting it off. I have time, but that time will quickly dwindle.

Taking my bike to a local shop tomorrow to see if I still fit it (it’s 25 years old, I got it when I was 10 :lol: that being said, I was a bigger 10 year old and stopped growing at 11 or 12 so there is a chance it’s still fine), and also getting an estimate on some long overdue repairs and maintenance on it. I will ask about any local groups... the hard part with group activities is I have a limited schedule this stage in life so I fit in workouts at the most random times (1:30, kids are done with school and happily entertained, let’s run! 10:00 at night after everyone is in bed? Sure! Why not!).
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Congrats on signing up. You will enjoy the event and it will go by quick. Triathletes are very helpful and like to give advice on setup, bike service and food during the race. We are all different size and age. Don’t burn yourself on the bike because you have to run afterwards. You will see people walking and that is OK.

Have fun
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on signing up. You will enjoy the event and it will go by quick. Triathletes are very helpful and like to give advice on setup, bike service and food during the race. We are all different size and age. Don’t burn yourself on the bike because you have to run afterwards. You will see people walking and that is OK.

Have fun

Congrats on your IM 🤗
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member

It was totally a “someday” thing for me! Always intrigued, but completely intimidated... I only recently learned that they had “sprints” which made it seem 75% more attainable of a goal. I am still nervous! It’s the new and unexpected that gets me, not knowing the etiquette, the transitions, etc. Thankfully we have things like this site and YouTube available!

I have to admit, my husband’s support is what got me to officially take the plunge and register... “you should do it!” “You got this hun!” “Have you registered yet? Why not?” “Prices go up tomorrow? Then do it now!” “I’m so proud of you!”

Oh no... This sounds like MY husband!! I'm still in the fantasy part of a tri. My problem is that I absolutely abhor riding a bike (sorry, cyclists-I have a terrible center of gravity and have fallen off too many times). Still, every time I'm in the pool and feeling good, I wonder if I'll get pushed over the edge sometime and just sign up!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

Oh no... This sounds like MY husband!! I'm still in the fantasy part of a tri. My problem is that I absolutely abhor riding a bike (sorry, cyclists-I have a terrible center of gravity and have fallen off too many times). Still, every time I'm in the pool and feeling good, I wonder if I'll get pushed over the edge sometime and just sign up!

Understanding that you don't like cycling, there's nothing like signing up for a race to help you face that fear and conquer it. And it seems as if you are fairly intrigued by the idea of racing a triathlon, so why not do it?

In our training group, I know of four different people who had a terrible fear of ether swimming(2) or cycling(2), since they were all runners by experience. In each case, they fought through several months of discomfort, only to gain confidence and become proficient(not great, but ok) in the water and/or on the bike. In one case, it took my friend months to let go of the brakes on any downhill rides, yet she persevered to tackle both a very hilly and challenging half iron distance race, followed by completion of IM Mont Tremblant later that same year. And she was absolutely radiant when she crossed the finish line! There was so much satisfaction for her in achieving that goal.