Advice needed

Hi guys.

I just restarted my fitness journey after losing my grandma in March (who raised me) and gaining all my weight back. I just recently started working full time and started an antidepressant.

I'm having trouble getting a routine down. If I wake up early to work out in extremely nauseous and if I go to the gym after work I never see my dog or my boyfriend. (We've been walking her, but it doesn't get my heart rate up enough or help with weight training 😅)

Any tips on getting the nausea to go away or what schedules work for you?

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

For your questions:
    -Are you eating or drinking anything before workout? I have to workout on a totally empty stomach or I get sickly, especially if I'm doing moves that have me facing the ground or bouncing a lot.
    -Are you going from "nothing to everything" too fast given the break you took? It is ok to get back into fitness gradually and build up your strength!

Also a reminder that you don't have to exercise to lose weight. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate to adjust to, and maybe it would be more habit forming to focus on portion size and nutrition side of the journey for now?

Sorry if that wasn't super helpful =/ Sending you huge hugs and well wishes!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    I've found working out in the morning presents to best chance of getting it in and sticking with it and minimizing impact to your relationships (people and animal). As far as nausea, there is no one approach regarding food consumption. I prefer to work out on an empty stomach but others need to have something like a banana (easy on the stomach but providing some energy). Regardless, it's important that you get in a good warm-up so you don't go from zero to full bore. Get on a treadmill, start with a walk for a couple of minutes, and slowly pick up the speed until you start breaking into a sweat. Then throw in a 2-3 of 20 second accelerations a minute apart to see how your body responds and how you feel. I try to target at least 10 minutes on a warm-up.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    Are you eating something that's making you nauseous or is working out in the morning making you nauseous? I'd try doing the opposite of what you do on the mornings you feel sick. What about going for walks after dinner with your boyfriend and dog? You could also work out at the gym twice during the week and once on weekends. Another option is at-home workouts, just learned about the app FitOn and YouTube has workouts like Fitness Blender.
  • hollyntuttle95
    hollyntuttle95 Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks for the replies! For whatever reason, if I wake up before six I'm extremely nauseous whether I eat something or not and it's been that way for years. I've gotten the mini pouches of unsweetened applesauce to eat before I work out, and it helps some but not a whole lot.

On the nutrition side of things, I feel like I've got a good handle there. My biggest downfall is pop, which as the weather gets colder here in Michigan, I've been trying to switch to drinking hot tea w/ honey instead.

We do walk my dog for about a half hour every work day to get her energy out (she's a year old goldendoodle), I just don't feel like it's enough of a workout for me because it's always been part of our routine.

I've also been trying my friends beach body workouts with her and again I don't feel like they are strenuous enough. My heart rate doesn't get into the cardio zone until the very end of the workout and for a brief period of time. I end up going to the gym before or after. I don't feel like I'm pushing myself too fast too soon, I've actually been feeling great other than the early morning nausea. 😞
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Could you run with your dog? Either on your own or with your partner. I know nothing of dogs and their sizes so I don't know if this is feasible.
  • pigsrock137
    pigsrock137 Posts: 22 Member
    Maybe try to get your boyfriend to come with you to the gym? Take a class together or something? I also get a little nauseous when i wake up too early but eating a banana before the gym has helped me
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Thanks for the replies! For whatever reason, if I wake up before six I'm extremely nauseous whether I eat something or not and it's been that way for years. I've gotten the mini pouches of unsweetened applesauce to eat before I work out, and it helps some but not a whole lot.

On the nutrition side of things, I feel like I've got a good handle there. My biggest downfall is pop, which as the weather gets colder here in Michigan, I've been trying to switch to drinking hot tea w/ honey instead.

We do walk my dog for about a half hour every work day to get her energy out (she's a year old goldendoodle), I just don't feel like it's enough of a workout for me because it's always been part of our routine.

I've also been trying my friends beach body workouts with her and again I don't feel like they are strenuous enough. My heart rate doesn't get into the cardio zone until the very end of the workout and for a brief period of time. I end up going to the gym before or after. I don't feel like I'm pushing myself too fast too soon, I've actually been feeling great other than the early morning nausea. 😞

There's nothing magical about heart rate zones, when it comes to weight loss. Any activity, including walking your dog, burns calories.

Exercising more intensely burns more calories per minute, sure. But exercising too intensely tends to make us fatigued. If we overexercise to the point of dragging through the rest of our day, maybe even resting more, that wipes out some of the calorie benefits of the exercise.

The "fat burning heart rate zone" is irrelevant for weight loss. If we're in a calorie deficit - eating fewer calories than our all-day burn, including job, housework, exercise and everything - we'll burn stored fat. The "fat burning zone" is only about how activity is fueled at the moment we're doing it, and is really only important for endurance athletes and their fueling strategies. For dieters, our bodies will balance accounts using up stored body fat, sooner or later during the day.

Just try to add activity in ways that are practical and enjoyable for you, and eat the right number of calories to lose at a sensibly moderate rate for the amount of activity you do. That's how weight loss happens.

For fitness, gradually increase activity type, duration, frequency and/or intensity so that you're always challenging yourself a manageable bit (but not becoming burned out, drained, or exhausted), and you'll progress.

Best wishes!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I mean it sounds like you just have to get your body used to waking up "early" (6am, to me, is not early lol but i know it's all relative). I find morning to be the easiest and most productive time to schedule in my workout, and the time that I'm most consistent with.

I'm very sorry about your Gram :heart:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

You are getting in your own way. You have set a standard for exercise and activity that does not belong for burning calories. Every muscle you engage for any reason is burning energy from the smallest gesture to the most rigorous exercise.

You also need to be careful how you phrase things because some people feel fortunate to do what you dismiss as not enough. I was once one of those people.

Allow yourself to move through phases of change instead of jumping ahead. Think of it as building a house. You don't install the windows while you currently need to be laying blocks for the foundation.
  • floreslori413
    floreslori413 Posts: 4 Member
    Sorry you have to experience grief like that. Can it be the anti-depressants? I only ask because i became sick when i attempted to try them. I also became more suicidal. It scared me. i lost my children's father over a year ago. The pain is unbearable. I vouched to not use drugs after i noticed how it was changing me. I Researched holistic ways to heal myself. Working out as been a major part of my healing journey. It is medicine for depression. You will still feel sad but that is the normal way to grieve.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Are you going to sleep earlier so you can still get enough sleep when you are planning to wake up earlier to work out? If not, you may need to shift your sleep schedule a bit at both ends. It may also be good to try a more gradual transition into early rising and workouts. Maybe just start by waking up 10 minutes earlier than usual and do some body weight exercises at home before you get ready, then slowly build onto that?