Workout interruptions

I'm a homeschooling mother of 5. My youngest is 7 months. I've been struggling with workout interruptions at home. I'm able to go out to the Y occasionally, but it's not realistic to take my entire crew as often as I need to workout. My home workouts often feel like a disaster. Right when I finally start to break a sweat, the baby wants to nurse, or some home disaster happens that needs my intervention. I have been getting between 20 and 40 minutes in 5 to 6 days a week, but it's often very broken up into tiny bits. I'm lucky to get 10 minutes at a time. I really want to get stronger and more in shape to keep up with my crew. Are my little broken workouts going to help me get there? I am getting so frustrated. I just want to be able to finish a workout but my little grimlins aren't on my side. 😩

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Every little bit helps but sporadic bursts like that probably won't make much of a difference. Any chance your crew can join you?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    can you get it done at zero dark thirty when the munchkins are still asleep?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Oh this sounds like my workouts right now.
    For me it helps to lift since I can split up my workouts into sets.
    One set....nurse baby. One set...make snacks for older kids. One set... deal with sibling dispute. One set settle and rock baby to sleep. You get the idea. I would workout in the morning but that would cut into the little sleep I actually get, not sure if that is the case with you. I just try to get it done. Maybe you can involve the kiddos? In the past I used to put on a workout video and we would do it together. I just keep telling myself this time will pass and it will get easier.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Can your partner take the reigns with the parenting for 30 - 60 minutes a few nights a week so you can get your exercise in in the evenings?
  • quebooboo
    quebooboo Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions. It's a bummer that my current short spurts won't do much. My husband works in the film industry. It's 70 to 80 hours a week, so he's not able to help most days. He does what he can. I'm currently not getting enough sleep (maybe 2 to 5 hours a night), so I don't have much wiggle room there with a teething baby. My older kids would rather heckle me while I work out instead of join in. And I'm not strong enough yet or recovered enough from birth (I fractured my pelvis and have pelvic floor prolapse) to include my 23lb infant in my workouts. I look forward to that! I am getting a little stronger... It's just taking a very long time to get there. It sounds like I might just have to make the effort to get to the Y more frequently where there is childcare for my kids so that I can finish a workout. It's just such an ordeal. So dumb that 30 to 45 minutes is so hard to carve out.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Small things count. Do what you can and take care of yourself. Some days will be easier and others impossible.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    @sugarcakes38 posted a great entry. Anytime you are active with your kids, you get at least 2x the benefit. You may not be marathon or triathlon training (at least, not without a lot of babysitting), but you can stay active while teaching them to be active as well.

I got a lot of mileage out of the old baby jogger. My friend, with two kids near in age, got a lot of use out of a side-by-side double.

I also did a lot of rug exercises while they played. But: it took a lot of training to teach them not to jump on me while I was doing push-ups!