Need some advice

Helll everyone, how’s your day going so far? Anyways I need some advice on my goals moving forward. So, I lost weight about 100 pounds. I’m currently sitting at 6’2 189 down from 297. Now I don’t know wheather I should quit cutting and focus on a slow surplus with a proper lifting program and cardio. I’ll attach some pictures because I’m not that great when it comes to judging myself.

Replies

• Great job - well done!

Personally I'd spend some time eating at maintenance after a long cut and dramatic loss like that - that will let you figure out the upper and lower calorie range that you maintain at. This will let your body adapt after a long deficit as well as giving you a chance to accurately decide where to take your calories should you decide to bulk.

I'd say as a new lifter with a reasonable amount of body fat remaining you will be able to build muscle at maintenance without too much trouble, so my vote is to recomp for a while. Honestly, I think you'd regret bulking after losing all that weight.

Just my 2p worth.
  • christmascookie2651
    christmascookie2651 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2019
    I might just stick to maintenance and probably only up my calories when I stall. I do think eating at maintenance after a cut will be more beneficial since I’m not used to the food intake that much. Thank you and quick question: should I factor any hiit routines in to my daily calorie count?
  • christmascookie2651
    christmascookie2651 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2019
    That being said,I have been lifting but it’s been random. But, I got some advice and found one that I’ll stick to. So my question is: would not taking lifting seriously in the begging hinder my progress when I do eat at maintenance and lift on a program now when I start?
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    First off - great job!

I second everything Cant_think_of_a_username said

For your subsequent posts; depending on what program you follow, it might be a long time before more calories are needed, maybe upto as much as 3 months before you have to adjust calories up. Stay at maintenance while you figure out a program and routine

Not lifting seriously/random programming will yield random results but it is certainly better than nothing. The sooner you get on a decent beginner program the better. Here is a great thread to start with 'Which lifting program is the best for you' https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

For HIIT routines, it should be factored in. It's probably best to just start with the options given here on MFP and as you understand what your maintenance levels are, you can adjust or look towards using other approaches.

Good luck and nice job once again!

• Thanks for the reply. Also I do agree with you on getting random results from a random program. I’ll have a look at the thread and then plan out my next steps. Thank you!
  • Adding to that, I don’t know if I should really “trust” my Apple Watch when it comes to cardio. Now, if any of you could tell me if I configured it wrong then that will be appreciated.
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    If your Apple watch is consistently wrong but doesn't vary in it's precision then you can still use it effectively. However if the results are wrong and there is no precision then that's a problem.

Work with it for a few weeks and you'll get a sense - tracking the trend is more important. Hope that makes sense
  • That helps thank you. I’ll just track it for a few weeks and see how it goes. Like calories, it’s just a estimate.
  • That being said,I have been lifting but it’s been random. But, I got some advice and found one that I’ll stick to. So my question is: would not taking lifting seriously in the begging hinder my progress when I do eat at maintenance and lift on a program now when I start?

If by that you mean "Can I still make newbie gains?" the answer is most definitely yes - if you haven't been lifting hard and consistently while eating right you will be fine once you get all those things dialed in.

• Thank you, that was the only thing I was worried about. I’ll get to it and then provide some update photos in about a month. Thank you for all the help!