Omelettes

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Question - does anybody else use a protein shaker to mix up their eggs for omlettes or scrambled or am I just weird?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Question - does anybody else use a protein shaker to mix up their eggs for omlettes or scrambled or am I just weird?

I'm going to go with that you are creative ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member

No - takes 30 seconds with a fork and bowl ;):)
  • paperpudding
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Cucumbers!
    Just because I know you love them!
    <ps: I don't recall woo'ing a cucumber--EVER!> :wink:

Omelettes (and frittatas) are extremely versatile and, in my books, pretty much ANYTHING goes when it comes to toppings! Same as with pizza you may have to balance the water content of the various items... You can also lighten them by adding egg whites or make them heavier by adding cheese or fat during the cooking process.

For the record I have NOT made an omelette with fresh cucumber. Though I have made one with tomatoes. And one with cocoa and chocolate. Not at the same time.

oh that is so funny :D:D - well, for me anyway.
    Probably meaningless for everyone else
    an in house joke if you like

I did say on other thread 'If I remember rightly' it was pav who woo-ed me for saying I dont like cucumber.

Is possible I am remembering wrongly ;)

and yes I know we cant see who woo's/disagrees/hugs us - but in a fun thread about strange woo-ing, I mentioned somebody wooing me for that and Pav (if I remember rightly or somebody else if I remember wrongly) did then confess it was them, they cant understand how anyone could dislike such a refreshing tasty vegetable.

I will not be trying cucumber in omelettes :s

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Cucumbers!
    Just because I know you love them!
    <ps: I don't recall woo'ing a cucumber--EVER!> :wink:

Omelettes (and frittatas) are extremely versatile and, in my books, pretty much ANYTHING goes when it comes to toppings! Same as with pizza you may have to balance the water content of the various items... You can also lighten them by adding egg whites or make them heavier by adding cheese or fat during the cooking process.

For the record I have NOT made an omelette with fresh cucumber. Though I have made one with tomatoes. And one with cocoa and chocolate. Not at the same time.

oh that is so funny :D:D - well, for me anyway.
    Probably meaningless for everyone else
    an in house joke if you like

I did say on other thread 'If I remember rightly' it was pav who woo-ed me for saying I dont like cucumber.

Is possible I am remembering wrongly ;)

and yes I know we cant see who woo's/disagrees/hugs us - but in a fun thread about strange woo-ing, I mentioned somebody wooing me for that and Pav (if I remember rightly or somebody else if I remember wrongly) did then confess it was them, they cant understand how anyone could dislike such a refreshing tasty vegetable.

I will not be trying cucumber in omelettes :s

I looked for the thread and couldn't find the evidence! Of course I would still find it wrong for someone to DISLIKE the green beauties! :wink:
  • paperpudding
    Pav, I cant remember exactly what thread it was in - and between us we have over 11,000 posts.

is lazy sunday here with nothing much happening - but I'm sure I have other things to do than trawl through 11,000 posts looking for evidence. :o

Must be some grass to watch grow in my backyard or paint to watch dry somewhere :D:D
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    4 eggs, chorizo, onion and strong cheddar.
    (A small amount of olive oil to fry off the chorizo and onions.)

It's not a low calorie option but is delicious.

So delicious, and for those who may not eat meat but like the flavor of chorizo...Morningstar makes a new chorizo crumble meatless product that's AMAZING! I get it from Target.
  • sijomial

No - takes 30 seconds with a fork and bowl ;):)

10 seconds in a shaker and you have one hand free to prep the other ingredients. :smiley:
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Leftover pizza chopped up and scrambled eggs are the absolute best!

Especially if you've had a few drinks the night before.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Caramelized onions and goat cheese!! With some black pepper ground on top.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2019
    One of my favourite omelettes is made the day after we have tacos for dinner and there's some leftovers.

I put in the seasoned ground beef, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, a bit of sour cream. It's yummy! Serve with salsa on the side and some salad. Makes an awesome lunch or even dinner the next day.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    edited December 2019
    Maybe twice a month. Cooking ones right now--bacon is bakin'--with mushrooms, three eggs, sprinkle of cheese and olives. Thanksgiving ham bits, too. 4 slices of bacon. Not more than 700 calories, of which 750 will be burned off on a bike ride today.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I always put black beans in my omelettes. Usually with spinach, but will use red peppers, onions and mushrooms if I run out. It may seem weird to add beans, but to me it makes it a complete meal, ready in a couple minutes in one pan.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,160 Member
    I always order Greek omelettes if I have an omelette. They have gyro meat, feta cheese, kalamata olives and tomatoes with tzatziki (sp?) sauce on top. I don't have any idea if it's possible to have gyro meat at home or it's just an "eat out" kind of dish, but it's my favorite!
  • sijomial
    Saw this gem from the 1970's and thought I would share what appears to be perhaps the most disgusting idea for an omelette ever.
    Loads of butter to make it greasy, mincemeat (as in the sweet pie filling, probably including suet in that era), cooked very wet and then smothered in icing sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O5WDPSpI1A

Fanny Cradock always dressed up for TV rather than dress to cook but came across as terrifying.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Mushrooms and onions galore! I prefer scrambled tofu, use nutritional yeast and hemp seeds for a cheese sauce. Mix in tons of veggies but heavy on the onions and mushrooms. Also throw in some black beans once in a while and some shredded potato. Delish!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I always order Greek omelettes if I have an omelette. They have gyro meat, feta cheese, kalamata olives and tomatoes with tzatziki (sp?) sauce on top. I don't have any idea if it's possible to have gyro meat at home or it's just an "eat out" kind of dish, but it's my favorite!

I've made gyro meat at home. It was pretty intensive. I had to beat my blend of lamb and ground beef to get it to the right texture, then add all the seasoning, onions, garlic etc. Then pressed it into loaf pans, making sure to mash it all down to avoid air pockets and make the dense, smooth grained texture. Baked my two loaf pans in a water bath until done, then when pulled out of the stove, pressed them by placing a loaf pan on top of each and adding about 10lbs of weight and let them sit like that for 20 minutes or so. Poured off the fat and de-panned and then let them rest to near room temperature and then got to slicing.

It was super delicious, my kids loved it too, but lamb is expensive and it basically took hours, so I haven't done it again. I did eat gyro salad alot!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    The last omelette I made I added leftover roasted Brussels sprouts, gruyere and some parm. I love Brussels sprouts.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I do omelets often. Some of my favorite combinations are:
    Caramelized onions, spinach and Swiss
    Ham, green peppers, mushrooms, and pepper jack
    Asparagus, bacon, and cheddar
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited December 2019
    I love omelettes. I usually make them to help clean out the fridge at the end of my shopping cycle. Some favorite combos are:
    spinach, mushroom, tomatoes and feta cheese
    turkey and cheese topped with avacado and salsa (and maybe a dab of Greek yogurt)
    bacon and carmelized onion
    zucchini and anything...I love zucchini!

Oh yeah, and cheesesteak omelettes: roast beef, onions, peppers, mushrooms and cheese