Omelettes

Options
The other day I made an omelette for tea.
Was around 500 calories using the recipe builder and made a filling meal.

I have had omelettes before but haven't made them at home.

Used shredded ham, diced leek,mushrooms, capsicums ( what some of you call bell peppers, I think) and sprinkling of grated cheese.

Wondering what other fillings people use that I could try out?

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    They're the best; I make one most every day. I add seasoning and Nusalt to the bowl while mixing the eggs. As filler, I'll use .25 cup shredded cheese and some kind of meat. Pork is my favorite, but whatever's around is fine.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    Chanterelles.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Tomato with some fresh basil and a few dots of goats cheese.

Spinach and Mushroom.

Philadelphia and sliced black olive.

Omelettes are one of those things that I always enjoy way more than I think I’m going to. I need to make them more often!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    4 eggs, chorizo, onion and strong cheddar.
    (A small amount of olive oil to fry off the chorizo and onions.)

It's not a low calorie option but is delicious.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I love eggs but not omlettes.

Putting all of that stuff into an omelette, especially cheese and the butter often used to cook them, just adds cals and can turn an turn an omelette into a calorie bomb.

Feel the same way about coffee, which I drink black w/o sugar, cream and other stuff that just adds cals.

So just scrambled eggs (no milk added) cooked w/1 tsp of olive oil in a non-stick skillet and black coffee for me, thank-you.

oh I wasnt claiming it was a low calorie option. ;)

However most of my dinners are at least at 500 calories, so wasnt bad, calorie wise.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Chanterelles.

what are chanterelles?

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I spray the pan with cooking spray, then cook spinach, onions and mushrooms. Add 1 whole egg and 2 whites mixed with 1/8 c. 1 % milk, then when it's almost set I add about 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese. I love a nice hot omelette!! Doesn't have to be high calorie at all.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Chanterelles.

what are chanterelles?

Delicious wild mushrooms, and it was an amazing year for them here.

istpzqttvobr.jpg

62pkmwjzytpo.jpg
    2ccdc2o6gqrh.jpg
    naeqbbgs5rt0.jpg
    50dw3e3l2y0c.jpg
    qb7wflnguvc5.jpg

I hear rumors matzatake are going nuts on the coast, too (another prized wild mushroom)

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i do spinach, peppers, mushrooms, bacon and cheese in mine routinely - its normally my go-to breakfast on days that i do lower carbs and higher fat
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    eggs, diced onion, diced jalapeno pepper, Chili (no beans) , shredded cheddar and sour cream and hot sauce on the side.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Chilli flakes
    potato (makes it a Spanish omelette) :smile:
    baked beans
    Chutney/ relish
    chorizo
    peas
    sweetcorn....
    the ideas are endless :smiley:
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Anything can go into an omelet, imo. I think eggs make great food wrappers and I think of an omelet as a grain-free wrap.

I've made both sweet and savory omelets over the years.
  • Jnascott
    Jnascott Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love omelettes. Ham is my go to meet but you can use anything. Tomatos in omelettes are amazing too. My everyday omelette is ham and spinach with just enough cheese to hold it together. My perfect omelette would be ham, onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, tomato and cheese. When i make that its with 6 eggs and I split it with the Family. We do this once a month.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    broccoli, cheddar, sausage, onion, garlic, spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, steak tips, roasted peppers, shrimp, ham, fresh herbs, chicken, marscapone, bacon
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'd rather make frittatas than omelettes. Either way, they are a great way to use up small amounts of leftover meats and veggies.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I got my count via the recipe builder.

500 calories is on a par with most of my dinners so no problem calorie wise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers!
    Just because I know you love them!
    <ps: I don't recall woo'ing a cucumber--EVER!> :wink:

Omelettes (and frittatas) are extremely versatile and, in my books, pretty much ANYTHING goes when it comes to toppings! Same as with pizza you may have to balance the water content of the various items... You can also lighten them by adding egg whites or make them heavier by adding cheese or fat during the cooking process.

For the record I have NOT made an omelette with fresh cucumber. Though I have made one with tomatoes. And one with cocoa and chocolate. Not at the same time.