On the Go Breakfast Tips

Options
Hi all,
I’m looking for some in the go breakfast ideas. Since I’ve been on this journey (about 3 months) I’ve been trying to make time to cook breakfast (usually eggs with either fruit or toast)in the morning but that isn’t always realistic for me to achieve before I’m off to start my day. So I’m looking for some ideas on what people eat when they just don’t have enough time but still need to eat breakfast, so things I could hypothetically eat in the car or while I’m walking into work. My calorie goal for the day is 1650 and usually I eat about 300-400 calories during breakfast. I have type 2 diabetes, so I have to eat to start my day and my meal should have around 45 carbs in it, anything with fiber is also a bonus. If anyone has any ideas or resources that I could use to find ideas I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    My go-tos for quick on the go breakfasts are breakfast butritos or a breakfast sandwich. They are pretty easy to make ahead of time, freeze and heat up in the morning. Sometimes I’m lazy and just buy the ones from the store.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats or precooked oats. Banana and whole wheat bagel. Not sure about the carb count, just the quick and easy part.
    Hard boiled eggs. Cheese.
    Be careful what you eat while driving. Eating is a form of distracted driving and is classified ad such in some states. 🧐
  • primekayprime
    primekayprime Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats and the MFP recipe for Easy Cheesy Crustless Quiche. Breakfast for 6 days in less than an hour. And I get fiber and protein in the morning. It's very filling and about 400-500cal depending on what I decide to put in the dishes for the week.

The quiche is baked in muffin tins so you end up with these convenient individual servings that you can just pop in the microwave in the morning for 30sec and run out the door. Also, each week I can change up what is in the quiche and the oats to get different flavors.

Also, I can adjust the calories by just eating half a serving. Since 2 quiche cups is one serving, I'll just have one. Same for the oats. The serving is easily halved if needed.

This has made such a difference in my routine!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'll do iced coffee with protein powder, shaken. If you have more time then you could always blend it with a frozen banana. Otherwise, maybe a protein bar (I like quest, rxbar, Luna protein, etc) with coffee and some water. Sometimes I'll have a Greek yogurt with a banana or sliced apple, and a few almonds or walnut pieces.
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion for overnight oats! I love to do oatmeal, almond milk, Greek yogurt (usually the 80 calorie one but you can use whatever you want/like), and then some berry on top (95% of the time it’s blueberries for me). I make 5 containers on Sunday and by Friday it’s still delicious! I do like to make mine in a jar, mix it in a bowl at home real quick, and then pour it back into the jar. But that’s only because I like the ingredients mixed together
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you get up and really need to go fast, a cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt with a banana, nuts, and a bit of instant oats (e.g., .25 - .5 cup) is good. If you must have it a bit sweeter, you can add a packet of equal or a teaspoon of agave syrup. (But, I don't add anything!)
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wake up earlier?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Often, I have some lowfat kefir (3/4C) and some peanut butter (2T) on an Ezekiel pita. 394 calories, 23g protein, 42g carbs, 7g fiber, 16g fats (mostly MUFA/PUFA). I drink the kefir on the way out, but it could go in a travel cup; and roll up the peanut butter in the pita so it travels well (as long as I watch out for drips ;) ).

If you like to food prep, there are lots of great recipes online for egg muffins, oatmeal muffins, or mini-quiches that you can make in muffin tins, freeze (in the pans, then dump in a bag or freezer box once frozen), and zap in the microwave at the last minute, and they're easy to eat out of hand. Another option would be freezable breakfast burritos.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I often eat 1 oz of almonds, and 6 - 8 dates, with green tea for breakfast. I think it's about 300 calories, 45 g carbs, and 8 g of fibre. Also surprisingly filling (for me anyway). It is my go to breakfast to have at my desk if I don't feel like eating before I leave for work.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have eggs which I prepare in advance. I just get a baking tray, line with silicone cupcake cases and then stick an egg in with cheese on top, or sometimes sandwich meat. They are baked in the oven for about 12-15 mins and then in the morning I pop them in the microwave for 45 seconds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I personally do not find overnight oats filling, no matter how I try to bulk up the protein (Greek yogurt, half scoop of protein powder) but do try them and see if they work for you. You can increase fiber by adding chia seeds.

There are lots of recipes for egg muffin cups on allrecipes.com. Reviewers say they freeze well, so can be made in advance.

Here are some:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236039/breakfast-egg-muffins/
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/231510/amazing-muffin-cups/
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Expand your breakfast options by doing away with the idea of 'breakfast foods' since any food can be eaten for breakfast.

^^THIS! Leftovers from dinner, salads, bean & chicken tacos, flax wrap with some lunch meat and cheese - endless options.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    My quickies have been two toast with peanut butter or a couple instant oat packets with peanut butter. The fat and protein in the PB keeps me satiated till lunch.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Expand your breakfast options by doing away with the idea of 'breakfast foods' since any food can be eaten for breakfast.

A college roommate used to pour milk on the previous night's popcorn. It was actually pretty good. This is actually historical tradition until other foods moved in as traditional breakfast foods.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I beat an egg in a shallow bowl and nuke it for a minute. When it's done i put an oz of cheese on it under the microwave splatter cover until my tortilla is hot from the stove. It's an easy breakfast burrito with no little pieces to drop and super quick.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    MorningStar corndog
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches are super easy and we'll balanced.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Egg McMuffin: 190 calories, 29 carbs. Order with tea or coffee, probably turn down the offer of hash browns.
    Dunkin' Donuts: Veggie Egg White Sandwich 240 calories 25 carbs Again...some tea or coffee, avoid the donuts.

And there are other fast food places that offer some surprisingly good breakfast options...just know what to get, avoid the calorie bombs.

(Probably still not a good EVERY day breakfast choice -- lots of sodium, etc. but just want to point out there are some options on the go that you can treat yourself in a healthy way or while travelling.)
  • cbailey989
    cbailey989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in my coffee with some half and half or heavy whipping cream. The protein and fat keep me going all morning. It’s cold here and I must have something hot.