Options
annie3571974
annie3571974 Posts: 36 Member
Serves 4
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30–35 minutes

275g potatoes (preferably Maris Pipers), peeled and cut into rough 3cm chunks
300g thick cod or haddock fillet, unskinned
100g smoked haddock fillet, unskinned (preferably undyed)
1 bay leaf
finely grated zest of ½ small lemon
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced (including lots of green)
oil, for spraying
1 large egg
50g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tsp paprika
lemon wedges, to serve
flaked sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft but not falling apart.

While the potatoes are cooking, put the fish fillets in a large saucepan, placing the thicker fillets on the bottom of the pan. Cover with cold water and add the bay leaf. Put a tight-fitting lid on the pan and gently bring to a simmer, then immediately take the pan off the heat. Leave the fish to stand for 5 minutes.

Drain the potatoes well in a colander, tip them back into the pan and mash them until smooth or pass them through a potato ricer. Put the mash in a large bowl and season with salt and black pepper.

Drain the fish really well in a colander and break it into large chunks, discarding the skin and any bones as you go. Put the fish in the same bowl as the mashed potato and stir in the lemon zest and spring onions with a large wooden spoon – try not to break up the fish too much. Divide the mixture into 4 balls and flatten each ball to about 3cm thick. If the mixture is too soft to shape into balls, cover and leave it to cool for a while. The potato will stiffen up as it cools. Lightly mist a baking tray with oil.

Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs with the paprika in a large bowl. Dip a fishcake into the egg, coating it on all sides. Allow any excess egg to drip off the fishcake and then place it in the breadcrumbs, turning it and pressing firmly to get an even coating of crumbs on all sides. Place the fishcake on the greased tray and prepare the rest in the same way. Leave them to chill in the fridge until you’re ready to cook, but use them within 24 hours.

To cook the fishcakes, preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/ Gas 7. Mist the fishcakes with the oil and bake them for 15–20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Serve with vegetables or a lightly dressed salad and some lemon wedges for squeezing.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been making something similar recently to use up leftover fish and they are so good.
  • annie3571974
    Options
    So tasty & filling 😁
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    You could at least list the recipe website with pics :)

http://www.lyndseyyoung.co.uk/the-hairy-dieters-eat-for-life/
    Serves 4
    Prep: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 30–35 minutes

275g potatoes (preferably Maris Pipers), peeled and cut into rough 3cm chunks
    300g thick cod or haddock fillet, unskinned
    100g smoked haddock fillet, unskinned (preferably undyed)
    1 bay leaf
    finely grated zest of ½ small lemon
    4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced (including lots of green)
    oil, for spraying
    1 large egg
    50g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
    1 tsp paprika
    lemon wedges, to serve
    flaked sea salt
    freshly ground black pepper

Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft but not falling apart.

While the potatoes are cooking, put the fish fillets in a large saucepan, placing the thicker fillets on the bottom of the pan. Cover with cold water and add the bay leaf. Put a tight-fitting lid on the pan and gently bring to a simmer, then immediately take the pan off the heat. Leave the fish to stand for 5 minutes.

Drain the potatoes well in a colander, tip them back into the pan and mash them until smooth or pass them through a potato ricer. Put the mash in a large bowl and season with salt and black pepper.

Drain the fish really well in a colander and break it into large chunks, discarding the skin and any bones as you go. Put the fish in the same bowl as the mashed potato and stir in the lemon zest and spring onions with a large wooden spoon – try not to break up the fish too much. Divide the mixture into 4 balls and flatten each ball to about 3cm thick. If the mixture is too soft to shape into balls, cover and leave it to cool for a while. The potato will stiffen up as it cools. Lightly mist a baking tray with oil.

Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs with the paprika in a large bowl. Dip a fishcake into the egg, coating it on all sides. Allow any excess egg to drip off the fishcake and then place it in the breadcrumbs, turning it and pressing firmly to get an even coating of crumbs on all sides. Place the fishcake on the greased tray and prepare the rest in the same way. Leave them to chill in the fridge until you’re ready to cook, but use them within 24 hours.

To cook the fishcakes, preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/ Gas 7. Mist the fishcakes with the oil and bake them for 15–20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Serve with vegetables or a lightly dressed salad and some lemon wedges for squeezing.

The OP at least included a picture, but otherwise it was just blatant copyright infringement.
  • annie3571974
    Options
    Wow. This was out of my cook book. Hairy Bikers. Thought I’d share my pic. After I cooked these.
    Then as I was asked to share the recipe I replied with the information.
    Can’t believe someone would get so arsey
    Won’t bother again. Thanks mate
  • annie3571974
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Seems like you already have the recipe.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Wow. This was out of my cook book. Hairy Bikers. Thought I’d share my pic. After I cooked these.
    Then as I was asked to share the recipe I replied with the information.
    Can’t believe someone would get so arsey
    Won’t bother again. Thanks mate

Are you Si King or Dave Myers and/or did you get the publisher's permission to post the recipe here without (or even with) attribution? The best option next time would be to share the ingredients list (which I'm almost positive isn't under copyright in the UK and definitely is not in the US) and then summarize how you made the recipe.
  • annie3571974
    Options
    🙄