Working out and eating less but at plateau

Options
Hello!
I've lost 40 lbs this past month through a combination of eating less and working out. For a while I worked out with someone who had me doing cardio mixed with some lifting but now I'm working with a trainer once a week who has be doing only strength training. My weight loss slower way down and now has seemed to almost stop. Is this normal? He's having me do my ore complex lifting, and after last week's workout I gained 5 pounds. Is that also normal? I drink a protein shake every morning for breakfast but the meter still has me gaining body fat %. That is the most frustrating thing. I still have a long way to go. I started at 325 lbs and am now at 285. Recent lowest was at 283 until my last workout. I did biking cardio yesterday and burned 400 calories but the trainer says that since I am protein deficient and am doing cardio I am my body is breaking down muscle.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    40lbs in one month is a lot. Most of that is initial water weight loss and you can't expect to maintain that rate of loss. The general recommendation is that it is safe to lose 1% of your body weight per week, which would be ~12lbs per month for you.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Exercise can help with that but diet is the most important thing. Strength training burns significantly fewer calories than cardio. Are you tracking what you eat?

The 5lb gain after your workout last week is water retention. That is common when starting a new exercise regime.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Water retention is very common after strength training, so those 5 lbs gained after a workout could be just water.
    Slowed weight loss could also (partially) be explained by muscle gain compensating partially for fat loss.
    Also, most devices for measuring bodyfat are very unreliable and easily influenced by varying degrees of hydration etc.

I strongly suggest taking body measurements (waist circumference, chest, hips, etc.) as a more reliable (extra) way of monitoring your progress.

Unknown factors though:
    - what does your trainer mean by saying you are protein deficient? Why would you break down muscle by doing cardio?
    - you're not giving us any precise info on your diet, so there is the question of: are you sure you are eating less calories than you are burning? Weighing and logging everything accurately?
  • Indrus
    Indrus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm an idiot. I mean 40 lbs in a year!
  • Indrus
    Options
    Is there a way to edit the post?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Indrus wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm an idiot. I mean 40 lbs in a year!

:neutral:

Well that certainly changes things.

Keep doing what you like to do. Cardio and weights are both important/good.

Are you logging food? That is the most important thing, food and a reasonable calorie deficit.

• Indrus
    Options
    To be extra clear, my peak weight was 385, but my recent highest since I started doing this in a serious way was 325, hence the 40 lbs in a year.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    To be extra clear, my peak weight was 385, but my recent highest since I started doing this in a serious way was 325, hence the 40 lbs in a year.

That’s 60lbs though, not 40. A little over a pound a week. Really healthy rate of loss if you continue that way.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did biking cardio yesterday and burned 400 calories but the trainer says that since I am protein deficient and am doing cardio I am my body is breaking down muscle.

Your trainer sounds a bit of a dummy!
    Cardio doesn't use muscle for fuel and avoiding any cardio means you are neglecting your CV fitness and heart health.

Is there a genuine concern about your protein intake? (Over the whole day - not just your breakfast choice.)

Perhaps restate your actual recent loss in more detail following your update that 40lbs lost was over a year?

Yes it's normal to have water related gain (or weight stall) from soreness following a change in exercise.

Your BIA scales could well be misleading you - especially following a change in exercise routine/water retention.