best exercise bike? Chain vs. Belt

Options
What is the best type of exercise bike? Should it be a chain driven or belt driven? We are just starting our exercise program and want some suggestions.

Replies

• sammie754
    sammie754 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Peloton! The best investment ever! I love the bike and the classes. Let me know if you want more info or have any questions.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I had a belt one I liked and it wasn't too loud to watch tv while biking...but really, my pick is whatever is used or on sale super cheap, so I can't say I'm super good as a source...I value price and quiet over anything else.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I would prioritise an indoor bike having power meter(s) ahead of a particular drive system - it's a whole different perspective when training by power output.

But I guess it depends on your goals. Is this just for general CV fitness or training for cycling?

Is it the noise factor that is influencing your concern about belt or chain?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I would prioritise an indoor bike having power meter(s) ahead of a particular drive system - it's a whole different perspective when training by power output.

But I guess it depends on your goals. Is this just for general CV fitness or training for cycling?

Is it the noise factor that is influencing your concern about belt or chain?

A power meter on a bike is a lot like the numbers on weights. It tells you what you're actually doing, or what you actually did. Every time you press down on the pedal, you apply a different amount of torque, and a power meter measures exactly how much. A side benefit ("the icing on the cake") is that it can also tell you within +/- 2.5% how many calories you actually burned.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you don't buy an "exercise" bike. Get a real bike and a trainer, that way come the nicer weather in spring you can ride outdoors. For the price of one of those "Peleton" bikes you could get a pretty nice road bike (or hybrid if that's more your style) and a smart trainer and use something like Zwift or TrainerRoad to get the most out of your rides.

I was going to say the same thing. Much more bang for your buck. Indoor training can get old and monotonous...it's nice to get outside once the weather is nicer and more daylight.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a Keiser m3i spin bike (in addition to a road bike, a gravel bike, a time trial bike and a beach cruiser).

The magnetic spin bikes tend to last longer. Kaiser and Schwinn make better bikes. Sunny is an affordable entry level brand.

You can also go used. Particularly if you go Kaiser as that's more if a commercial spin studio bike that lasts a long time.

I do subscribe to the Peleton app and do Powerzone training which is excellent.

Peleton is good a) if you can afford it and b) if you need motivation.

The actual Peleton bike is not as well made as a Keiser. But it's extremely easy to use and the community element is encouraging, fun and addictive. So, Peletons good if you have concerns about not using it.

I've had bikes on trainers before...that's also a good option. I like having a dedicated spin bike though.

Whatever you do, get something that meters power even if imperfectly.

I'm very pro Kaiser. The m3i has bluetooth which allows me to also synch with Zwift and Sufferfest (in addition to using the Peleton app). But the m3 is a lot cheaper and you can get a used one and it's indestructible.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've got a $1k+ LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike that uses a Kevlar belt that extremely quiet, requires no maintenance and feels like a direct drive. So, if you are going to buy a spin/exercise bike, I'd recommend one w/a high quality belt drive.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've got a $1k+ LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike that uses a Kevlar belt that extremely quiet, requires no maintenance and feels like a direct drive. So, if you are going to buy a spin/exercise bike, I'd recommend one w/a high quality belt drive.

Those are what my tri club uses for dryland training, they're built like tanks and offer a wide range of adjustments so you can really dial in the fit. At home though I still prefer my road bike on a smart trainer.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be looking at "fan" type of bikes, but the higher end of this style is going to belt. Would think the belt vs chain points in this article would apply to any style exercise bike.

https://www.garagegymreviews.com/rogue-echo-bike-review

Excerpt:

The reason the Schwinn Airdyne Pro and Rogue Echo Bike are so similar is largely due to their belt-driven systems.Nearly every air bike ever made, up to the release of the Schwinn Airdyne Pro used a chain-drive system. Chain-drives often leak energy (there's a gap between pedaling and moving the fan), require lubing and adjustment, and are much louder than the new belt-drive systems.The belt-drive employed by Rogue Fitness uses a similar belt to what is used in automobiles. These belts can stand up to just about anything you can throw at them, and they make hardly any noise. In fact, when using the Rogue Echo Bike, the only real sound you hear is wind ripping against the fan blades, similar to a high-powered fan
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    swierzbik1 wrote: »
    Just for a normal person?
    Concept2 Bike Erg

I was verrrrry close to buying a Bike Erg.

I have the Concept 2 Rowing machine and it's fantastic in every way.

However, after doing some due diligence, I read that there are some real issues with the Bike Erg compared to the Keiser or even a Sole Fitness, more conventional, spin bike.

I called the folks at Concept 2 and asked if there was a bike somewhere in my city that I could demo; the answer was 'nope'. (and I live in a very large city)

I read from a couple of folks who purchased the Bike Erg that there was a hitch in the pedal stroke when particulary standing on the pedals of under higher resistance. I also wasn't sold on how the resistance was changed on the fan of the Bike Erg; it seems far more easy to regulate resistance on a more conventional bike.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Concept2 Bike Erg

However, after doing some due diligence, I read that there are some real issues with the Bike Erg compared to the Keiser or even a Sole Fitness, more conventional, spin bike.

I called the folks at Concept 2 and asked if there was a bike somewhere in my city that I could demo; the answer was 'nope'. (and I live in a very large city)

I read from a couple of folks who purchased the Bike Erg that there was a hitch in the pedal stroke when particulary standing on the pedals of under higher resistance. I also wasn't sold on how the resistance was changed on the fan of the Bike Erg; it seems far more easy to regulate resistance on a more conventional bike.

You might be totally right and I might be just very lucky as I own ski erg, c2 rower, assault bike and Bike Erg and bike erg quality is absolutely top notch and by far the best of all these pieces of equipment.

@swierzbik1

that's good to hear & thank you for the reply.

where do you live? .... I might want to go for a test ride on your Bike Erg.

I was just very wary about dropping coin on something I couldn't try out beforehand.
    Most of the reviews on the Bike Erg are solid, there was just a couple that gave me pause.

If it's better than the C2 Rower, that's quite the testament.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Concept2 Bike Erg

You might be totally right and I might be just very lucky as I own ski erg, c2 rower, assault bike and Bike Erg and bike erg quality is absolutely top notch and by far the best of all these pieces of equipment.

@swierzbik1

that's good to hear & thank you for the reply.

where do you live? .... I might want to go for a test ride on your Bike Erg.

I was just very wary about dropping coin on something I couldn't try out beforehand.
    Most of the reviews on the Bike Erg are solid, there was just a couple that gave me pause.

If it's better than the C2 Rower, that's quite the testament.

I am from UK

I'm on my way !

... eventually.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Concept2 Bike Erg

Do you ski (Nordic)? I've been wanting to hear from a skier how the ski erg is. There are a few gyms near me that have them, but only downtown which can be a nightmare to get in and out of.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have disagreed with the people telling you to buy a regular bike and trainer. It takes up much more room, it's messy (due to the chain and any dirt on the bike), and not as solid.

Also, you can get some spin bike for less than some of trainer attachments! (Or is the bike and attachment to the trainer? Anyway, you know what I mean.) Especially used.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have disagreed with the people telling you to buy a regular bike and trainer. It takes up much more room, it's messy (due to the chain and any dirt on the bike), and not as solid.

Also, you can get some spin bike for less than some of trainer attachments! (Or is the bike and attachment to the trainer? Anyway, you know what I mean.) Especially used.

A new spin bike that coats most than many new trainers will pretty much be a POS.

If you're talking used, need to compare used vs used on both sides.