Better, not older

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Hey now
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    A couple months away from 43, I am feeling a lot more confident, in more ways. I think I see the big picture a lot better than I once did.

I have let go of a lot of things that I was holding onto for years. I recognize I am now living in a different world and era than when I was first beginning my adulthood 20+ years ago, and instead of being bitter about it I try to look at all the positives and embrace it.
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I am waaaayyyyy more confident now than I ever have been! I know who I am- I know what I want/ don’t want.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Like a fine wine, I get better with age.

I also drink more wine.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Idk. i think i’m better at fell...

never mind
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member

never mind

felling trees? yeah that kind of work only comes "easy" after years of strength training, hard work and a real devotion to the logging industry

thank you for your service
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    iMago wrote: »

never mind

felling trees? yeah that kind of work only comes "easy" after years of strength training, hard work and a real devotion to the logging industry

i don’t really appreciate tree humor. it’s just not funny to me.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    iMago wrote: »

never mind

i don’t really appreciate tree humor. it’s just not funny to me.

sorry. i'll go ahead and make like a leaf and get outta here
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    I never really got the idea of growing older some how making things worse.

Though I do run into snags, where the younger generation doesn't know/understand something, and that shocks me.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    To appreciate where I'm at.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    All Y'all..... Get Off My Lawn

Get a Job.

Get a Haircut.

& Turn Down Your Music. *

*Your Music, if that's really what you want to call it; it's horrible.
  • jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    Salt and pepper hair
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    I have become more comfortable with myself in my 50s! I have learned ...I guess through Wisdom, that what I think and feel is also important, I have learned that I didnt need to settle for a life partner who didnt respect or value me, one who always took me for granted. I have learned that although being a Mama is the most important job that I will ever have in this lifetime, that I also have my own life to live and that I need to live it as well! It took me 53 years to finally find REAL Love and come to the realization that I had no idea, as I have never felt this before, nor have I ever felt Loved and Cherished and that I do Matter... like I now feel!! There is never a time that we have to think its too late for change and sometimes that change is all we need to start our lives over and find that Happiness and Contentment that God always intended us to have...otherwise, why would he give is the greatest gift ever...LOVE???
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    I have learned a great many things in life but most of all I have learned it’s not fair. You control though how you choose to feel from the unfairness. You either are bitter or go with the flow change the unfairness. Also I can eat my dessert first with a martini in the middle of the day if I want to. 🍸 🍰
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    I can eject negative people out of my life very quickly now.
  • empresssue
    empresssue Posts: 2,977 Member
    I know hard work is important for developing and maintaining habits.

I'm not afraid of hard work.

I don't tolerate anyone talking down to me.

If you like me, great. If you don't, then you really don't matter.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    At 37 is when I felt a shift.
    I no longer care what others think about me, at all.
    It doesn't mean that I've lost manners & social graces, just that I don't second guess myself all the time.
    That's good & bad, cuz I also no longer bite my tongue, after years of holding in true feelings as to not hurt another. Now, I say what I think & don't care if it offends others... nor do I apologize if they are.
    Again, I don't search out ways to stun others, but if people mistake my soft spokenness or kindness for weakness... they elicit verbal wrath & I don't care about the consequences.
    The latter can be problematic cuz standing up for myself has ended relationships with family & friends (for the better, for me) & ruined relationships at work (never a good outcome).
    I'm not going to make myself feel badly or suffer in some way in order to allow another to feel good. Those days are forever gone.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Retirement came with age. :) Seriously the best thing that's happened to me; no work related stress, no need to eat constantly to bury my emotions. Time to finally call my own. Time and energy to exercise. Time to help my sister in her life; she has a dh who's suffering from Alzheimer's. I feel such a reconnection to her and her dh that I've missed while living for work.
    I also notice a huge desire to see more places, do more outside activities(now if I can just find an outdoor buddy).
    I also say more of what I think. I used to always be a yes ma'am kinda person and not speak my mind.
  • I've taken on roles and responsibilities with high physical demands that people far less than half my age were afraid to do, or simply couldn't. Not because they were physically incapable. But, more so that they were psychologically not ready to.

While I'd like to say "Age is only a number". The truth is that it's a reality. It affects us all a little differently. So, get out and do something that you've wanted to try while you still can. I've lived a great life, being able to do many of the things I have because I took a chance and did it. Still have quite a few years left to experience more...