Weight Gain After Hysterectomy _ Anyone Else?

Hi everyone, I'm really really struggling.
Quick back story: Back in 2015 I changed my lifestyle and lost 40 pounds with portion control, picking better foods and being more active. Learned how to maintain that and did that for a year and a half. Decided I wanted to lose some more, lost another 10 pounds and kept that off for another year. Really rocking my lifestyle, knowing what worked for me and how to maintain.

November of last year I had to have a hysterectomy, everything is gone except one ovary.
Everything has changed!!! Everything!
I gained 10 pounds during the first two months. It was during the holiday season, so I thought it was just that with not being able to be active. I was released in January and started working out again. Strength/Cardio. I've been eating fewer calories and carbs than my maintenance eating and I've gained another 5 pounds,

Nothing is working like before the surgery. Nothing. Had my hormone levels checked, came back in the normal range so I don't need replacements according to the test report.
I'm just at a loss. I keep going because I know if I stopped then I would just gain more.. but my goodness this is frustrating. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

Anyone else gone through this and found a way to make it work? I'm failing, miserably.

Replies

• iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Quick back story: Back in 2015 I changed my lifestyle and lost 40 pounds with portion control, picking better foods and being more active. Learned how to maintain that and did that for a year and a half. Decided I wanted to lose some more, lost another 10 pounds and kept that off for another year. Really rocking my lifestyle, knowing what worked for me and how to maintain.

November of last year I had to have a hysterectomy, everything is gone except one ovary.
    I gained 10 pounds during the first two months. It was during the holiday season, so I thought it was just that with not being able to be active. I was released in January and started working out again. Strength/Cardio. I've been eating fewer calories and carbs than my maintenance eating and I've gained another 5 pounds,

Nothing is working like before the surgery. Nothing. Had my hormone levels checked, came back in the normal range so I don't need replacements according to the test report.
    I'm just at a loss. I keep going because I know if I stopped then I would just gain more.. but my goodness this is frustrating. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

Anyone else gone through this and found a way to make it work? I'm failing, miserably.

I too gained weight and am really struggling. I had hysterectomy in May everything but ovaries. I love to run can the even running feels uncomfortable now I've gained 10 pounds and I'm really frustrated I feel your struggle
  • Monnie67
    Monnie67 Posts: 88 Member
    I been My Fitness Pal since 2012 lost 23 lbs was at my goal weight. Had female issues fibroids, heavy periods, infections, 2 medical procedure. Finally had the major surgery full hysterectomy. Now just short of 6months post op I done gain 20 lbs on HRT. talking depressed!!! I get up in the morning workout still limited because I’m still healing, yet still gaining weight. I know there is really nothing I can do. I have to listen to my body and what it says I can / cannot do. But it’s so hard to see myself in the mirror and not cry 😢 because all the work I did was gone in 5 months. All I can do is continue to watch my diet workout and hope that my body will start responding. My hormones are running my life right now. But I just want everyone to stay encouraged. I did it before I know I can do it again. We all have a story, this mine. I just want to let you know it gonna happen it just going to take more time. I just needed to share this thanks for listening
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    If you are taking an HRT you can look into others. I was on one and it made weight loss very hard. I gained 30 pounds in like a month and a half. Despite weighing and tracking everything I would lose and regain the same 5 pounds over that 9 months. Eventually, I gave up. Last May I switched to a different HRT and I had no initial weight gain and I'm losing weight fairly easily (knock on wood). Actually, after stopping the first HRT I waited 10 days to start the second and in that time I lost 10.2 pounds of water weight. I was on est estrgn meth test- 1.25/2.5 and switched to Evamist. So much better.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I'm relieved you have one ovary remaining, they continue to be active into older age doing other things like mopping up t1's, tied into thyroid issues. My health became much worse with the loss of both of mine, not being able to think straight, acquiring food and chemical reactions and other stuff. Which brings me to my other thought. When they test so called "hormones", I take this to be endocrine numbers. I've been on alternative thyroid medication for several years now, not the levo nor the desiccated some countries do permit. Its Stop the thyroid madness, Book/site, which gives a good insight into this numbers game. One may be "within the normal range" which sounds good, only many of us need to be higher or possibly even lower within the range, higher is much more common than the powers which be are prepared to admit.

HRT is not recommended for all women who have had hysterectomies, or at least not for 5 years or more because of excess oestrogen.

Given my life over I would scream, shout and make the most appalling noise to keep one or both of my ovaries life changes dramatically without them. (Would they take both Testis? I think not) Over the years I, my body, was supposed to fit to the boxes our medical (UK) would permit. In all honesty my suggestion would be to try a good thyroid support supplement. Even to see a trained alternative medical person because there are cycles and systems within the body which can benefit from directed support. For some, including me it takes guidance rather than self medication to achieve one's health again. Best wishes to everyone.
  • tara_mcconnell
    tara_mcconnell Posts: 16 Member
    I had a hysterectomy in 2016 following several other diagnosis and was told by my doctors that this is the weight that my body likes. Well I’m calling BS on that statement!
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    I'm sorry you ladies are struggling too, but it is nice to know that I'm not alone in this fight. Weight gain after a hysterectomy is a thing and it's so dang frustrating! My thyroid was in the normal range (1.02 uIU/mL) and so was my estradiol (1.02 uIU/mL). Those are the only two things my dr tested. Regardless, I'm not giving up! Still strength training with cardio mixed in. Still making more good decisions than bad. That's all we can do... not give up.
  • Tressish
    Tressish Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hystersister here! I had a radical hysterectomy when I was 28...I am 42 now and nothing has been the same since. Zero HRT ... and struggled with the weight gain.

I could take the time to detail out all the nonsense but why bother ... you seem to have a good handle on the mess of it. They don’t put that part in the brochure....
    “Hey we are going to take out this train wreck of a uterus you got... snicker snicker ... you gonna be so fat after!” Doesn’t make a good pitch!

Here’s the deal... yup you aren’t crazy. None of you are. Our girly parts are magical mysteries that ought not be shorn from our bodies. And when they are ... our bodies near boycott us after. You’d think my body would have sent me a damn thank you note the wee miser... as before my hysterectomy I lived in constant pain and wound up with cancer to boot... having the whole playground removed was a blessing ... I’m pain free 15 years now. But I’m fat. That was the trade off. Until recently.

So let’s get down to the all the talks... you know ... all the stuff we lie about. As hystersisters ... we aren’t just womb vacant ... there are many a changes no one tells us about after.
    Have your bowels wrote home to ask you “how do you like me now?yet ” And how about the newly inherited “can’t hold my bladder worth a dime syndrome ... just call me dribbles” tee shirt I could be sporting...
    Let’s not even get into my mood swings... the smell of my sweat now... even my feet and I don’t want to talk about my body hair ... NONE OF THIS WAS PART OF THE “we gonna snatch your regulator out your body” meeting.

But now you’re here... whether you are on HRT or not .., you are now a hystersister... and here’s some advice from an old hand at this who is finally having success.
    I stopped lying. That’s it. That was the deal. I stopped kidding myself about the whole thing.

My bowels aren’t right now. They be all a mess on the best of days. And I got a pelvic floor that is as supportive as limp spaghetti. I’m over weight ... my breast don’t sit where they should regardless of my bra choices and that’s just the start of hysterectomy blues. But I’m not lying about it now.

How does this change things?

It validates me. It validates the [edited by MFP Moderator] of it all.

It took 15 years to stop the lying. And I am seeing hardcore results. I was 16.5 stone when I started this no lying plan give or take 5 months ago. I am 15 stone now. Basically about 218 pounds. I’m just shy of 6 foot. I’m fat. No pretty words about it. Obese. Frumpy... “she’s got such a pretty face” is my most hated compliment type of fat I am.

It took me 4 months to build up to walking 12000 steps a day. And it takes me 2 and a half hours to do those steps still ... which means I have to wear a pad ... which I thought I would never see again having had all my parts removed ... but as I have little bladder control ... walking coughing heavy breathing ... jumping ... stumbling ... any minor jolt to my abdomen and I will dribble since this delightful surgery ...but I’m doing it.
    And I have to plan properly because yup ... I can’t drink a lot while walking as peeing myself on a walk would really detour me from doing it the next day. So I regulate my fluid intake around my walk times. So I can have a mostly successful walk. But I’m doing it. No excuses rain or shine or dribble day ... I’m walking.

Which leads to our bowels... you’re going to want to pay close attention to this misfit now. Don’t give it any reason to give you grief. Which means ... fiber. Whether you need it or not. Fiber. For me it’s Metamucil three times a day.
    Which also acts as a great appetite surpressor and let’s me play with larger calorie dinners and such for rewards.
    Our bowels are never the same after a hysterectomy... and not going super super regularily doesn’t help your weight. We tend to be sluggish after this surgery. Even if you aren’t immediately ... just you wait a few years. Get on it before it gets on. Sluggish bowels make for fat problems. So talk about it. And do something about it. Add that fiber now and do it often. As it won’t hurt you, can only help and will keep you working like clock work. Don’t lie about the pooping. Best lie I ever gave up. The fiber helps me feel full and stay cleaned out ... reduces my water weight and clears out the intenstines. It’s one lie you won’t mind ridding yourself of!

Protein ladies. . . My hystersisters. Get your protein. I don’t care how ... just do it. What ever magic energy bunny lived in my uterus is gone with the knife ... nothing but an ugly scar remains where my energy used to live.
    Kicked that lie to the curb too ... if I had it once ...why? Where did it go... I found it again. Protein. And meeting my proper daily requirement and at the right times of day.
    I eat most my protein in the morning now as a before and after my exercise routine. Think of protein like an energy repair system.
    When I wake in the morning ... which I lied about after surgery ... my muscles ache. Im sore, sluggish and plain not motivated.
    I take in a third of my protein needs for the day first thing with a good dose of fiber ... and now I’m kicking into over drive like when I had the full park set in my groin. I do my walk and then use another third of my protein for recovery. And I am good to go until dinner. No fatigue or blah feeling. And zero compulsion to comfort eat. Cause I’m not aching.
    I lied about being in pain and having no energy. It stole years from my life and my health. Stop lying. It’s more toxic then the fat we gain.

Here’s the brass tacks ladies ... our bodies are meant to have a uterus. When we remove it we damage ourselves usually to make the bulk part of ourselves better. It’s a sacrifice. Often unavoidable. But then we double down on our lies and do ourselves a disservice about how insanely different our world is after a major organ in our body is gone. We try to be strong and buck up and go it alone. We make excuses ... become afraid to tell people what’s actually going on..,
    Stop lying.

I stopped all this lying. And everything has changed.

I don’t care if a book backs me up or not. My body isn’t a liar. It manages food differently since the surgery. And now I need to admit ... acknowledge it and plan for it.
    I’m not a human baby machine anymore. I don’t need to survival prep once a month if I’m not pregnant so I can shed my nutrient rich lining. I don’t need a lot of the calories my body put to use before. I had to make a serious calorie adjustment. You will too. Way steeper than you think.

I had to teach myself all about bathroom habits ... and getting on a schedule in that department. Which meant googling poop habits more than one ever wants to and asking other people.

Getting an abdominal support belt because plain and simple my back and pelvic region need support now when I workout.

But no... we aren’t the same. Not anymore. And it can suck or you can discover what your body is way better at now that the vampire has left the building:

• using protein efficiently. Yeah we got that in the bag now.
    • using sodium and sugars for energy and repair...
    • actually being able to have nice skin with less work
    • Growing hair ... which is a mixed bag but ... my head is happy
    And last but not least by any means
    •wearing white pants fearlessly (don’t underestimate the power of this )

Take back your life by admitting ... nothing is the same anymore and you don’t know yourself at all anymore.
    And cry if you need to... be mad ... break some stuff.... then get over your old self. And get to know this new you.

She doesn’t manage weight the same, crave the same, feel the same, workout the same ... hold her bladder the same .., but it’s not all bad ... and you’re going to be living with her so stop lying to your old self and your potential new friend ... your new stuff.

Sit down and get to know her. Document her responses to things. Not your old responses. Log your food, your day, your pain and make changes for this woman. The one you live with now.

I promise .... when you stop lying about the mess ... you’re going to see ... this new you is at least 15 dollars cheaper a month and has so much promise if you give her a chance and stopping hoping that she will get back to the old you any minute now. . .
    (whom for the record .... required a hysterectomy to begin with .... how great was that body? Thinner but sicker)

You got this. The new You has got this. No more lies. Old you is gone. Have a funeral. Do what you need to. Then celebrate the new you and treat her with some respect. She deserves it ... she’s been through a lot and has way more skills then you are giving her credit for.
    Cheers mates

• LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    edited July 2019

You're totally right. We are so different afterward. And they don't warn you of this, at all!!!
    And you're right again, No reason to keep saying "pre-surgery me" THIS IS ME NOW and I have to figure who that is and how my new body responds to food and strength training...how to move forward with my new body.
    I guess I'm still in the mourning stages. But I'm getting closer every day. Thank you for posting this, I really appreciate it.
  • taitan2307
    taitan2307 Posts: 13 Member
    I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago. Kept both my ovaries as it was still in good health. However, in December last year I had to go under a brain aneurysm operation, that's when I found out my ovaries shriveled up and died that was the reason to my very sleepless nights drowning in hot sweats. In no time I gained weight that stuck like glue, had a moon face with bumpers to go. I had to wait to end my medication after the operation as it contributed to my weight gain. Now I'm back on the exercise on a slow pace, and calorie count. That has helped me to loose some weight but most importantly to get my health back. Exercise and healthy eating helps to stop or control, osteoporosis, arthritis, anxiety, mental fog and so many other ailments that come with a hysterectomy. Taking a multivitamin and MSM with Glucosimane helps me with joint pain allowing me to exercise.
  • taitan2307
    taitan2307 Posts: 13 Member

Hi there I can understand and relate to your struggle. When I had my ovaries I could maintain my weight and good health. After my ovaries died it took my health and maintaining weight with it. I can't take any HRT or ERT due to family history of Cancer. I took Black Macosh blended with other herbs to control the whole sarga that comes with a hysterectomy. It helped a lot. After my operation for a Brain Aneurysm I gained weight like never before I had a moon face picked up 20kg over 3months. I'm on the workout and calorie count, it helps to maintain overall good health and feeling. I'm taking a multivitamin and MSM with Glucosimane to maintain good bone health. It takes time everybody's body works differently. Don't give up. Count the cm of the body rather than the weight on the scale for now.
  • ktsj2015
    ktsj2015 Posts: 65 Member
    I had a total hysterectomy 4years ago my total outlook to food changed, eating for the sake of it became a thing which it had never been before.. I eat way more sweet stuff now and have zero portion control and I put it down to the sudden menopause.

I’ve never been over weight till now it sucks and I do put a lot down to the hysterectomy... but it’s a reason and not an excuse... still gonna shift this extra weight
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    My thyroid was in the normal range (1.02 uIU/mL) and so was my estradiol (1.02 uIU/mL). Those are the only two things my dr tested.

Whoa! Your Doctor should be testing estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Also a full thyroid panel is necessary. TSH, T4,T3, Free T3, Free T4, thyroid antibodies and a couple more I'm not recalling off the top of my head.

• connieg1970
    connieg1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Agree, I had a total hysterectomy 6 yrs ago. I have struggled with weight gain also since. I have talked to my doctor and tests with no feedback. Looking for solutions and suggestions on how to overcome weight gain and start losing weight again.
  • joyfait
    joyfait Posts: 6 Member
    Quitting smoking four years ago awarded me an extra 30 pounds and I gained 10 after my hysterectomy almost two years ago. I also kept one ovary. No regrets with my hysterectomy except they didn’t tell me that by keeping an ovary I would keep my pms....other than that I am quite happy and can’t really totally blame the 10 pounds on that surgery alone...the quitting smoking 30
    I can definitely blame on that...I will never smoke again but It’s tough to swallow the weight and the fact that medical doctors could careless about counseling me on the weight to keep me quit...they all want you to quit but then when you are living what could quickly send you back to smoking they don’t care. I would imagine some of you feel that way about your hysterectomy...I suffered for more than 30 years with my female system ruling my life and am grateful that it’s all gone...