Snowboard Training

Options
I have about 3 months to get ready for a snowboarding trip. Any recommendations for training to get ready?

It has been 10+ years since I've been, i expect it to be rough. I recently stated BeachBody Meltdown 100.

Thanks

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I suspect that if you google “snowboarding strength exercises”, you will get all you need.

If you are not lifting now, then any basic strength program would be an improvement—doesn’t need to be specific.

After 2-4 weeks, you can add some focus.

Pause squats with dumbbells or kettlebells in a rack position would be good.

Eccentric decline squats will help condition the knees

I am always a fan of single-leg Romanian deadlifts

• jbucks007
    jbucks007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    True, i was hopeful for some user recommendations versus just a search.

I appreciate your suggestions and will incorporate some variation into my work outs.

Thanks
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The more squats you do the less your legs will burn on the hill. I recommend at least a hundred squats per day- for real, you'll be more in control of your board and feel better at the end of that first day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I suspect that if you google “snowboarding strength exercises”, you will get all you need.

If you are not lifting now, then any basic strength program would be an improvement—doesn’t need to be specific.

These are probably the best thing you can do for Nordic skiing, for what it's worth. I'm not a snowboarder and don't have much to say about that, but SLDLs are fantastic for balance on top of all the other benefits they confer. Turning on skis involves weighting a single leg and the carryover is amazing.
  • jbucks007
    Options
    noel2fit wrote: »
    The more squats you do the less your legs will burn on the hill. I recommend at least a hundred squats per day- for real, you'll be more in control of your board and feel better at the end of that first day.

That is just mean and hateful. :'(

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the recommendation and feedback. Thank you.
  • jbucks007
    Options
    jbucks007 wrote: »
    noel2fit wrote: »

That is just mean and hateful. :'(

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the recommendation and feedback. Thank you.
    Azdak wrote: »

These are probably the best thing you can do for Nordic skiing, for what it's worth. I'm not a snowboarder and don't have much to say about that, but SLDLs are fantastic for balance on top of all the other benefits they confer. Turning on skis involves weighting a single leg and the carryover is amazing.

Score two for RDLs. Thanks for the help.
  • darnold87
    darnold87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You may also want to look into doing some plyometric type exercises. It will help you increase the power in your legs, which should be very helpful for snowboarding.
  • jbucks007
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.