Back pain

Options
Any advice for me, I have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, n at present sciatica, I joined the club, but am having trouble walking let alone finding exercise I am able to do, I've gained 20 lbs from eating alot n just sitting.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor sent you to physical therapy to get some help with your movement?

I'd get someone working with you in person. Until then you may want to check out The Most Famous Physical Therapists on the Internet. They are 2 practicing PTs with 50+ years experience between them. Tons of YouTube videos on orthopedic issues. Sample. Best of luck.

https://youtu.be/geqCv7wWtU8
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have some back problems and have had a slipped disc and the number one exercise my chiropractor has recommended is getting on your hands and knees and raising the opposite arm and leg, lowering and doing the other ones. Make sure you’re flexing all your muscles (legs, butt, back etc) while you’re doing it. It really helps strengthen the muscles around your back and has really helped me a lot. Google tells me this is called “the bird dog” if you want to see what I’m talking about lol.

Also, sitting will make things worse so getting any walking in is awesome.

Make sure you’re sleeping in good positions (on your back with a pillow under your knees or on your side with a pillow between your knees) too.

Hope you can find some relief. Back pain is horrible.
  • angelinhiding
    angelinhiding Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Has your doctor sent you to physical therapy to get some help with your movement?

I'd get someone working with you in person. Until then you may want to check out The Most Famous Physical Therapists on the Internet. They are 2 practicing PTs with 50+ years experience between them. Tons of YouTube videos on orthopedic issues. Sample. Best of luck.

https://youtu.be/geqCv7wWtU8

I've been doing you tube videos for sciatica and I am able to bare weight on my right side now, I have been in PT and I do exercises every day for my back as I can, but thankyou for ur advice
  • angelinhiding
    Options
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    I have some back problems and have had a slipped disc and the number one exercise my chiropractor has recommended is getting on your hands and knees and raising the opposite arm and leg, lowering and doing the other ones. Make sure you’re flexing all your muscles (legs, butt, back etc) while you’re doing it. It really helps strengthen the muscles around your back and has really helped me a lot. Google tells me this is called “the bird dog” if you want to see what I’m talking about lol.

Also, sitting will make things worse so getting any walking in is awesome.

Make sure you’re sleeping in good positions (on your back with a pillow under your knees or on your side with a pillow between your knees) too.

Hope you can find some relief. Back pain is horrible.

Thankyou, yes sitting is worse, n I rarely sleep cause of pain but I did just order a new mattress and I will try the exercises.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,722 Member
    Options
    A physical therapy referral would be a great idea for guidelines. My last back surgery was for stenosis and a herniation plus I have nerve damage. I did Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos, she's on YouTube these days. Water therapy and just getting in the pool and walking is helpful. You can also do stretching in the pool. I bought a recumbent bike and use it daily, it supports my back plus I can read while riding. Floor exercises like partial situps and "dead bugs" are great for strengthening the core. Dead bugs are hard to describe, you do stuff like lay on your back with bent knees, lift one leg, focus on back. Extend a leg with tension on back. I have to mix strength training with machines and free weights and modify a lot but it's possible to do.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    If siting makes matters worse look a exercises related to the psosas and pirifirmis. Often irritation, weakness in these muscles contribute to back pain.
  • angelinhiding
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    A physical therapy referral would be a great idea for guidelines. My last back surgery was for stenosis and a herniation plus I have nerve damage. I did Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos, she's on YouTube these days. Water therapy and just getting in the pool and walking is helpful. You can also do stretching in the pool. I bought a recumbent bike and use it daily, it supports my back plus I can read while riding. Floor exercises like partial situps and "dead bugs" are great for strengthening the core. Dead bugs are hard to describe, you do stuff like lay on your back with bent knees, lift one leg, focus on back. Extend a leg with tension on back. I have to mix strength training with machines and free weights and modify a lot but it's possible to do.

Thankyou I will try the pool, n I do do the dead bugs, I tried the weights once n could only lift the bar with a struggle, lol but I guess that's my start, I appreciate the advice
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I also have degenerative disc disease in my low back. I finally, finally, after 7.5 years on MFP lost real weight (19 pounds) by following a lower carb program called Target 100...which, among other things, limits daily carbs to 100 grams, which is very doable. Losing the weight has really helped, but currently I am having a flare up. I love to run, and unfortunately that seems to sometimes aggravate the pain. I don't run every day.... I try to do non-impact exercises the rest of the days and definitely I'm trying to strengthen my core.
    Just take things one at a time...focus on one positive change for a week or two, when you have that, then add another, etc.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Oops, one more thing....I also have a standing desk at work (adjustable) so I can stand and sit at will. I also try to stand a bit when I'm watching TV. Sitting too long kills my back. That's why I'm not a big fan of going to the movies... sitting that long is murder on my back.
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I discovered last year that my weak glutes were the cause of my back pain which makes sense because I sit a lot. It was worse on my right side because I cross my legs and it was so bad one hip was higher than the other. I do myofascial release on my glutes (wherever it hurts the most) with a lacrosse ball and it has been the BEST thing to reduce lower back pain. The relief is unbelievable. Light stretching and walking helps with temporary relief too.

I also did exercises to strengthen my glutes - things like leg lifts or dead bugs are great and I add resistance bands and ankle weights for more of a challenge. I do these every other day. It takes work but not being in pain has been worth it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

Thankyou I will try the pool, n I do do the dead bugs, I tried the weights once n could only lift the bar with a struggle, lol but I guess that's my start, I appreciate the advice

There are lighter bars, dumbbells, machines, and cables. All can be used successfully for strength training.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Did the doctor say you degenerative disc disease and stenosis were the cause of your pain or just the findings on the imagining?

I'll tell you my story, like you I had a job when I sat all the time, plus I had a 90 minute RT driving commute. My back was always sore even though I lifted weights and was otherwise active. Like you I quite going to the movies and would avoid sitting in a chair or on a couch whenever possible. One day I couldn't stand up and ended up sleeping on the family room floor and crawling to the bathroom. After 4 days I was able to get to the doctor. All sort of imagining and a shot to calm down inflammation.

When I met with the best neurologist in town he looked at my images and said I had some degenerative disc disease, but not super bad ( I was in my 50's at the time). He went on to explain that everyone has degenerative disc disease pretty much as soon as they start walking. Based on the images and some manual tests, he determined I had inflammation of the SI joint and/or the psoas muscle and possibly the piriformis muscle (he said he could do some additional testing and narrow it down, but the "fix" would be the same). I asked what the cause was and he said too much sitting. The way to ultimately fix it was less sitting along with squats and deadlifts.

I got another shot and a prescription for anti-inflammation meds, plus a referral to a physical therapist. working with the therapist who did some manual therapy and gave me targeted exercises it got better.

I still keep up the squats/deadlifts plus some targeted exercises. Now I have no problem sitting through a movie (although I don't sit on the furniture much at home, generally on the floor stretching out while talking with family, TV is on, etc. I've been able to do a 15 hour driving trip (just usual stops for gas, quick food, etc) with no bad effects.

My main takeaway point would be work with your medical professionals to find the root cause of your pain (not just what images show) and address it.

Best of luck.

• nicolesnutrition
    Options
    A few others mentioned some good thoughts. Have you also considered turmeric for support as well?